Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

srh1200

Re: Moneyball Free Agent Signings

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 5:41 pm

mykbr1

Unread postSun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 pm

The free agent signing period opens on Monday. The google sheet has a list of available players were were carded last year. I posted a list of some more interesting uncarded players on the Moneyball chat page, but it is not exhaustive.

Here is the "draft" order for the FA signing period. The first four teams are expected to make offers on Monday morning, first come first serve. Please check in to make sure that everyone is ready before we being on Monday.

1 mykbr1 -- In
2 dharmabums -- In
3 chilliards -- In
4 paul j kiggins --in
5 baseball cfo --
6 oldmansmith2 -- In
7 madal -- In
8 teamnasty -- in
9 srh1200 -- in
10 Paul_Long71 --In
11 Evil Spock -- In
12 sociophil -- In

I used to be in a league that set times for each team to draft. Say every hour between 8 or 9 for the next 12 hours. 9 am, 10 am, 11 am. It worked really great. You knew when it was your turn and when to check in.

baseball cfo

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 7:25 pm

srh1200 wrote:mykbr1

Unread postSun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 pm

The free agent signing period opens on Monday. The google sheet has a list of available players were were carded last year. I posted a list of some more interesting uncarded players on the Moneyball chat page, but it is not exhaustive.

Here is the "draft" order for the FA signing period. The first four teams are expected to make offers on Monday morning, first come first serve. Please check in to make sure that everyone is ready before we being on Monday.

1 mykbr1 -- In
2 dharmabums -- In
3 chilliards -- In
4 paul j kiggins --in
5 baseball cfo -- in
6 oldmansmith2 -- In
7 madal -- In
8 teamnasty -- in
9 srh1200 -- in
10 Paul_Long71 --In
11 Evil Spock -- In
12 sociophil -- In

I used to be in a league that set times for each team to draft. Say every hour between 8 or 9 for the next 12 hours. 9 am, 10 am, 11 am. It worked really great. You knew when it was your turn and when to check in.

sociophil

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 8:05 pm

All in. Let the free agent signing period begin tomorrow at 10am!

paul j kiggins

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 11:00 am

1ST FA offering

ss Dansby Swanson(Atlanta Braves) 5.0 million per year X 5 yrs
Cape Bear Cubbies

mykbr1

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 11:15 am

The Mount Joy Bobcats are offering:

OF Randy Arozarena 5 years at $4.00 Million plus an option year.

dharmabums

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 am

Richard Bleier RP
3 years at $2.5 mil/year. = $7.5 mil

Paul_Long71

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 12:15 pm

phil,

Can you explain how option years work?

sociophil

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 1:52 pm

Article X Section 4 -- BIDDING: ... Teams can offer an "option" year. It counts as 0.5 of a year when deciding what team gets a player.

Example: a two-year contract + option would beat a two-year offer. It would not beat a three year offer.
Option years cannot be offered on one-year contracts. If a team declines an option on an expiring contract, the team is obligated to pay 50% of the salary as a buyout.

So the Arozarena offer of 5 years at $4 million with an option for year 6 would mean that the team is responsible for $2 million in year 6 if the option is not exercised. The question this offer presents, which the rules do not clearly address, is which contract minimum applies to option offers? Is dharmabums required to offer five years plus an option at $4 million or $5 million per year? Since the rules are not clear, and there is a penalty of half the option year salary if the option is not exercised, I think we should allow the offer to stand and address the lack of clarity in a rule change after the free agent period is over.

Phil

oldmansmith2

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 pm

sociophil wrote:
Article X Section 4 -- BIDDING: ... Teams can offer an "option" year. It counts as 0.5 of a year when deciding what team gets a player.

Example: a two-year contract + option would beat a two-year offer. It would not beat a three year offer.
Option years cannot be offered on one-year contracts. If a team declines an option on an expiring contract, the team is obligated to pay 50% of the salary as a buyout.

So the Arozarena offer of 5 years at $4 million with an option for year 6 would mean that the team is responsible for $2 million in year 6 if the option is not exercised. The question this offer presents, which the rules do not clearly address, is which contract minimum applies to option offers? Is dharmabums required to offer five years plus an option at $4 million or $5 million per year? Since the rules are not clear, and there is a penalty of half the option year salary if the option is not exercised, I think we should allow the offer to stand and address the lack of clarity in a rule change after the free agent period is over.

Phil

To me offering 5 yrs with an option in year 6 should be governed by the 6 yr minimum. It's a 6 year contract. The upside is you get the possible advantage of only paying half salary in year 6 if you decide to buy out the last year. You shouldn't also get a discount in year 6 if you decide to keep the player for that final year. Why wouldn't everyone just utilize the option year if that was the case. If I want to sign a player to 3 years, offer a 2 year contract at 1 mil per with an option year and get a discount on year 3.

sociophil

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 3:25 pm

To me offering 5 yrs with an option in year 6 should be governed by the 6 yr minimum. It's a 6 year contract. The upside is you get the possible advantage of only paying half salary in year 6 if you decide to buy out the last year. You shouldn't also get a discount in year 6 if you decide to keep the player for that final year. Why wouldn't everyone just utilize the option year if that was the case. If I want to sign a player to 3 years, offer a 2 year contract at 1 mil per with an option year and get a discount on year 3.

I agree with you, but I think we should resolve this asap. If the option year does not count toward the determination of minimum salary offers then everyone would offer the option in order to get an additional year at the lower price. I would prefer to avoid this loophole, so I am going to exercise my prerogative as commissioner to say that the option year counts as an additional year.

Mykbr1 needs to revise his offer to RANDY AROZARENA to four years plus an option (5 total) at $4 mil a year OR five years plus an option (6 total) at $5 mil a year.

sociophil
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat