Like chewing day old gum.... tastes NASTY!!

Like chewing day old gum.... tastes NASTY!!

Postby IM Bacchus » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:25 pm

My first 2005 team at Wrigley is playing like a bunch of Rookie Ball Rejects. Have I missed something here in putting this team together or am I just having a horrible streak of bad luck. Thoughts and commentary appreciated.
IM Bacchus

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=18981
IM Bacchus

Postby RiggoDrill » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:17 pm

Oooooof!

Others might nitpick, but overall, looks pretty good to me...

[list:bab14b2b47]Lefty bats aren't dependent upon ballpark effects.
Tons of righty power in the OF + Lowell + and a little power coming from J.Wilson.
Good cheap OBP from Carroll. [/list:u:bab14b2b47]

I like the selection of pitchers. Oswalt & Radke are great for Wrigley because they have reverse platoons without high vulnerablity to ballpark effects from righty hitters. Their Earned Run Averages will drop.

The only negative comment (and this is minor) is that the super-cheap pitchers are pretty stinky this year, so you want to make sure Groom & Bump don't get too many innings.

I had a team win a division a few weeks ago in spite of a [b:bab14b2b47]17-game losing streak[/b:bab14b2b47] :shock: in the middle of the season. So if it were me, I'd be patient and wait for the fellas to turn it around... 8)

Good luck w/ the rest of the season!
RiggoDrill

Postby IM Bacchus » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:13 am

Thanks Riggo,
I was as pumped about this team as any I've put together in a long time. A lot of thought and time have gone into getting the mix of players just right. If this was "Back to the 80's" I might be tempted to start tweaking, but I KNOW which cards I have and that they SHOULD be winning.
Now I wake up to find that I'VE BEEN SWEPT AGAIN!!!
What gives? Do I need to sacrifice a chicken to JOBU or what?
IM Bacchus
IM Bacchus

Postby RiggoDrill » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:58 am

I like the sacrifice a chicken to JOBO concept. Definitely do some backyard BBQ this weekend! :lol:
RiggoDrill

Postby cplake » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:04 am

Ouch! That DOES look nasty IM. But, you have a solid team on paper..good OPB....good pitching.....you are doing it right. I would resist the temptation to start tweaking. At 20% a pop, you start losing $$ fast. You've got no where to go but up though. This team should contend in the end.

I have a 2005 team (my first) that I thought looked solid on paper as well, but has turned out to be a train wreck. I made so many moves at the beginning that I'm now trying to compete with a $70m team ($80m cap). It ain't workin'. I have another 2005 team ready to go and will give it one more shot. After that I doubt I'll play this game again. I'll stick to btt80s.
cplake

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx