Late Inning Defensive Substitutions: Are They a Good Idea?

Late Inning Defensive Substitutions: Are They a Good Idea?

Postby Jimbo123 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 pm

I'm not sure if there's a clear cut answer to this question. Of course, it depends on a lot of variables: which park you're playing in, how you and your opponent's teams stack up against each other, whether the games will likely be high scoring or low scoring contests.

It would be easier if the games were handled on an individual basis. If your up by a couple of runs and your all-star closer is coming in to shut it down, you'd bring in a defensive sub. On the other hand, if your closer is too tired to pitch and your playing a team that brings the lumber, you'd probably keep the better hitter in the lineup, just in case your team needs to generate some runs late in the game. The problem is that these games aren't played on an individual basis and you sort of have to guess whether it'll be a good idea to bring in a defensive sub.

On more that one occasion, I've had defensive subs come into games where my lead has slipped away and the sub is hitting in a pressure situation, e.g, two outs with runners on second and third. In those situations, I'll kick myself for not keeping the better hitter in the lineup, even if he's a defensive liability.

The more I play this game, the more I'm starting to form the opinion that defensive subs usually aren't that good of an idea. Why take a power bat out of the lineup and replace it with a light hitter.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and I'd like to hear what you guys think about this issue.
Jimbo123

Postby coyote303 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 am

Generally speaking, I like defensive substitutions.

I take into consideration the difference in fielding between the two players and to a lesser extent how much hitting I am taking out and which position they play.

For a substitution to hurt you, the other team has to exactly tie the game up. And, of course, they are more likely to do this (or score enough to outright win) if your iron glove slugger remains on the field.
coyote303

Postby justin5 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Another time defensive subs seems to help is if you're using platoons. I try to make my RHP hitter a good D guy (since he'll play most often). A lot of the LHP hitter parts of platoons aren't great on D. HAL DOES NOT sub in for platoons very well. I'm seeing that in a team right now with a lot of platoons. But, when he brings in the defensive substitution, he's bringing in the guy I generally want in there at the end of the games (since most relievers/closers also are RHP).

But, ultimately, I agree with coyote. The chances of it mattering that the weaker bat stays in is really slim since it's only when they tie it up.
justin5

Postby geekor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:44 pm

I love defensive subs...

for my injury prone hitter (ala A Craig)

keeps him from getting those cheap injuries in the meaningless innings of games hopefully.
geekor

Postby theClaw » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:39 am

and man can he mash...
theClaw

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx