Strat-O-Matic.com transition info/FAQ

Postby Hack Wilson » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:50 pm

They're not going back to Sporting News. It clearly now would be preferable, but business interests are in the way. What we have here is a clear portrayal of how SOM would manage the site versus The Sporting News.
Hack Wilson

Postby buzzards1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:09 am

Like i stated above i have been studying these message boards the last week and came upon the "Strat 70's - 80's - 90's" board ... there is a topic there entitled "WHY WE PLAY" i found it a study in how much folks really enjoy this game and came away with a warm fuzzy feeling inside , maybe we should all take the time to check that board out during this downtime , again i haven't played the online version for very long but i plan to , i am already somewhat "addicted" and a huge bernie fan for all his efforts.
buzzards1

Postby macnole » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 am

Well, I would guess there was a measure of trust invested in Bernie by SOM, especially if there was an emphatic "I can do it", as is human nature.
We are where we are because:

1. there is no true peer alternative to SOM's game engine online

2. there is a dearth of IT pros who know the game's online implementation--in fact we now have exactly one. And even in that case, it apparently isn't known as well as it needs to be.

It is certainly not Bernie's fault writ large--he works for someone--and that someone should always be saying "prove it"...but I doubt there is the interest or care to bother getting at that level of detail.
macnole

Postby visick » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:02 am

Perhaps an IT or 2 or 3 here could donate some time to help out?

If I knew anything, I'd be willing to lend a hand here. Hell, if providing chiropractic adjustments here in SoCal, at no cost, would help in getting this transition up and running, I'm all for it.

A credit or 2 for my time wouldn't hurt as well. :wink: :wink:

Suffice it to say, I'd think a few people would step up to help out if asked.

visick
visick

Postby bkeat23 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:11 am

[quote:761cbd9e72="socalchiro"]Perhaps an IT or 2 or 3 here could donate some time to help out?

If I knew anything, I'd be willing to lend a hand here. Hell, if providing chiropractic adjustments here in SoCal, at no cost, would help in getting this transition up and running, I'm all for it.

A credit or 2 for my time wouldn't hurt as well. :wink: :wink:

Suffice it to say, I'd think a few people would step up to help out if asked.

visick[/quote:761cbd9e72]

While a noble offer, it shouldn't need to be done.

A business should bring in consultants for 3 days, 5 days, whatever, to get over this hump.

I'm sometimes in a similar position as Bernie, as the only LAN guy in a company of 2500 people with 15 locations. Normal operations, I keep up with day to day issues, planning, docs, all is well. A flow of projects that encompass all the remote offices requires too much to be done, and a tech to literally be on site in many if not all of the locations at the same time. There's no possible way for a single person to accomplish all the tasks in the same weekend without a Star Trek transporter, and even then it would be pushing the time envelope to start Friday evening and be done by Monday AM. That sounds like Weekend at Bernie's.
bkeat23

Postby ROBERTLATORRE » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:22 am

[quote:b77b6b20f2="socalchiro"]Perhaps an IT or 2 or 3 here could donate some time to help out?[/quote:b77b6b20f2]

I offered so many times over the past few years I've lost count. Including this go live, and the last two major outages.

A group of power testers could have been put together so easily and EVERY function would have been reviewed, including volume stress testing, and these problems would have been avoided. Not just core functionality, but user interface issues and simple omissions and oversights.
ROBERTLATORRE

Postby visick » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:29 am

All true guys, but I doubt there's enough resources to spend on all this.

Some free or credit help from the users is always nice.

I'm not expecting an answer from Bernie here, but if guys have offered before why isn't it being utilized?

visick
visick

Postby nevdully's » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:56 am

With out going into too much detail, about two years ago Rivs went to Bernie with about 15 of us committed to help across all the games. Rivs, Frank Bailey and Moriarity, Petro, DonFESQ, myself and others...some of the best from the 70's and 80's game and 2 or 3 vets from the 200X games....we were going to monitor the boards, help new players, handle all the bothersome details like request to correct spelling of team names etc...Bernie seemed pretty warm to it, as only Rivs would have some "limited access" behind the curtain so to speak, the rest of us just willing to help....But after months of planning when it came time to move forward with it Bernie just changed his mind. He said thank you very much, but he just didn't feel comfortable....But maybe those who can should ask Bernie if we can help again?

btw

I blame Petrosian because who would wanna work with that guy? And did you see his picture that PJ posted of him...Whatta grumpy man.
nevdully's

Postby chunga1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:11 am

did you see his picture that PJ posted of him.

link please
:D
chunga1

lol

Postby buzzards1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:20 am

[quote:e4c47e3abf="nevdully's"]With out going into too much detail, about two years ago Rivs went to Bernie with about 15 of us committed to help across all the games. Rivs, Frank Bailey and Moriarity, Petro, DonFESQ, myself and others...some of the best from the 70's and 80's game and 2 or 3 vets from the 200X games....we were going to monitor the boards, help new players, handle all the bothersome details like request to correct spelling of team names etc...Bernie seemed pretty warm to it, as only Rivs would have some "limited access" behind the curtain so to speak, the rest of us just willing to help....But after months of planning when it came time to move forward with it Bernie just changed his mind. He said thank you very much, but he just didn't feel comfortable....But maybe those who can should ask Bernie if we can help again?

btw

I blame Petrosian because who would wanna work with that guy? And did you see his picture that PJ posted of him...Whatta grumpy man.[/quote:e4c47e3abf] lol @ petro the grumpy old dude
buzzards1

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx