First Playoffs! What to do know?

First Playoffs! What to do know?

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:41 am

I have finally made my first play off at the third attempt. The first team I had made a run down the stretch but just missed out. The second team led all the way until the final six games and then lost out, whilst this team has come from 53-61 only a few weeks ago to win the league 85-77!

God knows how I did it though. My team offensively struggled and I only made 787 runs, the second lowest amount. But I was in the top three in pitching. The team I ended with was not the team I started with and I have learnt a few things, namely that I need a good set up man to get to the closer rather than hard L or R pitchers setting up.

Does anyone have any advice for a play off newcomer? Should I change my rotation and play my *Sp's in twice or leave my rotation as it is?ohttp://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=14822
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:43 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=14822

Try this link instead.[/url]
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby durantjerry » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:32 am

Match up your rotation depending on your opponent. You have some starting pitchers who will have more chance of success in different situations. One thing I have learned is you need to be aware of who has pitched out of your bullpen, especially as you go deeper in a series. Some guys will become unavailable or less likely to be brought in and you want to know that and adjust your bullpen and who is in your rotation accordingly. Also, there might be some additional matchups you can take advantage of when you are only playing one or two games a night vs three games. When it gets to the end, you want to have as many good pitchers set up to be available to be used. For example, Robertson could be pulled out of the rotation and used as an additional lefty situational guy.
durantjerry

Postby LMBombers » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:16 am

In the semi-finals, which is a best of 5 series, you only get to start a pitcher twice if you start a *SP in game one, otherwise you will start 5 different pitchers if it goes that far. You do need to try to match up the best you can against your opponent. For example, if your first two games are away at a Shea Stadium team you would want to go with Robertson (your best LH *SP for Shea who can also pitch game 5 at Shea if necessary) and Buehrle in game two. Since your park, Yankee Stadium, is neutral it doesn't matter who you pitch there. If your first two games are at Wrigley, Minute Maid or Fenway I would want to go with Halladay & Harden in the first two games. Even though Webb is your only RH *SP I like Halladay and Harden better. I would then pitch Buerhle and Robertson at home and come back with Webb in game 5 if needed. If you start the playoffs at home or in some other neutral park then I would probably set them up like this: Buerhle, Halladay, Harden, Robertson, Webb.

Another factor to consider would be the horrible +9 hold rating of Webb. If you wait to pitch him in a game 5, which would be the only game that night, your opponent could set his base stealing at "very aggressive" and run wild after all of Webb's walks. To counteract this you could start him on the night games 1&2 or 3&4 are run and throw Buehrle the same night who has a -6 hold rating. Your opponent would not then be able to, if he is smart, set his base stealing to aggressive or higher.

These are some things to ponder.
LMBombers

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:45 am

Thanks for the tips. I must admit I have, until recently, not taken much notice of the Hold rating, but I am considering it a lot more now. My first 2 playoff games are in Yankee and my opponents are in Great American Ballpark. I will see how this goes and hope any result I get I can learn from and use, (hopefully) in the future.
ANDYCOCHRANE

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx