Injury chances

Injury chances

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:45 pm

Is it really worth getting a player with an injury chance of 2 or more? How much time could he potentially lose? Any 2 injury player I have had always seemed to be injured if played regularly (Encarnacion, especially). Is it OK to have one as a platoon or could I really get any value playing a 2 injury player on a regular basis?
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby bkoron » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:36 pm

I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that injuries are not properly valued during the regular season, i.e. injury-prone players are good deals. However in the playoffs an injury can be devastating.

8)

P.S. -- The cheaper the injury-prone player, the less you are putting at risk.
Last edited by bkoron on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bkoron

Look out for HAL

Postby JEFFFESPERMAN » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:40 am

The biggest problem I have encountered when attempting to use injury-prone players (i.e., Sexson) has to do with HAL's insane substitutions. Besides screwing up the logical batting order, he/she/it will often insert players into the lineup at fielding positions where they are ill-suited to play defense. I agree with the comment about playoff considerations. I get nervous enough when I have someone like Rolen who is INJ 1, but doesn't meet the 600 PA minimum. He is the heart of my offense and I could easily lose him for 15 games down the stretch, killing my hopes of a pennant.
JEFFFESPERMAN

Postby blue turtle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:33 pm

I have considerable success with oft-injured guys: Humberto Cota, Larry Walker, Troy Glaus, Sammy Sosa, SF Leftfielder(semi-oft injured), to name my particular favorites. The two catcher injury issue helps "protect" me while using Cota for his 30 HR, .180 average seasons. Walker is a beast of OBP and does well against RHP for power, with good defense as well. Glaus, nice power and usable in the field. Sosa provides a decent DH for very little money. SF Leftfielder, well, his numbers speak for themselves. You need to be a little more conscious on choosing bench players, but I usually go deeper (15 hitters) and more expensive with subs than most players.

On an all-injury gimmick team, I had Jayson Werth do very well, Juan Uribe had 29 HR as the 2B, Eric Chavez excelled at 3B. My flops included Sexson, Dmitri Young (on that team, he did well on others as a PH), and Trot Nixon. The team itself was awful and simply couldn't score enough runs to make up for miserable pitchers.
blue turtle

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx