Defensive ratings "anomaly" question

Defensive ratings "anomaly" question

Postby Hola » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:55 am

I was wondering if someone could tell me what defensive charts are used for this league. There are anomalies that happen which cannot be explained by the charts themselves. Here are some of my observations:
• A “single” occurs on a catch(x)
• A “single” occurs on a 3B who is a “1”. The situation is totally benign in nature: 1 out with nobody on base.
• A 2B (who is a “1”) gives up a single with men on first and second BUT with 2 outs, so the reason “the infield is in” or he’s holding someone cannot be in play.
• A “single” is rolled on the hitter’s or pitcher’s card that is not a result of an (x) being rolled, yet a player is still assigned an error on the play.
I’m sure there are others that you all have witnessed. Does anyone have an answer?
Hola

Re: Defensive ratings

Postby Ninersphan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 pm

[quote:e4d36de1b6="Hola"]I was wondering if someone could tell me what defensive charts are used for this league. There are anomalies that happen which cannot be explained by the charts themselves. Here are some of my observations:
• A “single” occurs on a catch(x)
• A “single” occurs on a 3B who is a “1”. The situation is totally benign in nature: 1 out with nobody on base.
• A 2B (who is a “1”) gives up a single with men on first and second BUT with 2 outs, so the reason “the infield is in” or he’s holding someone cannot be in play.
• A “single” is rolled on the hitter’s or pitcher’s card that is not a result of an (x) being rolled, yet a player is still assigned an error on the play.
I’m sure there are others that you all have witnessed. Does anyone have an answer?[/quote:e4d36de1b6]

Item 1, With no runners on base, the W/S chart result for a catcher x is
"Batter hits a squib single", you need to roll a 1 on the catcher check no matter what your cather's fielding rating, to use the W/S chart. I beleive W/S stands for Wild pitch/Single.

Item 2: Stumped me on that one, a single will occur only if a runner is being held or if your infiield is playing in, but with no one on base, there's no reason for the infield to be in, unless HAL is playing corners in on an A bunter.

Item 3: I do not believe having 2 outs keeps HAL from holding runners on base, especially if there is an * base stealer involved.

Item 4, is the error assigned to CF? If the result is SINGLE, with no stars after it, the runner may attempt to stretch the single into a double which brings the CF's throwing arm into play which can result in a throwing error.

Hope this helps.
Ninersphan

Postby Hola » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes, that does help!

1. I had no idea. Thanks!
2. I thought about that, I guess it COULD happen with the corners in. Actually, there can't be any other reason.
3. Wow, that does make sense, HAL MUST have been holding the player on second.
4. Check the first two innings of this game: http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/league/boxscore.html?group_id=163369&g_id=163
Frank Thomas in the top of the 1st, 4-8 double and error to CF. Then bottom of the second, 4-9 single and error to LF. I guess that's the explanation, making an error while taking the extra base.

Thanks!!
Hola

Postby coyote303 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 pm

There is also a rare play on a Catcher's Card X where a pop fly falls in for a single.
coyote303

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx