Something you will NOT see every day...

Something you will NOT see every day...

Postby Moodymets » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:03 am

...started an auto league overnight and woke up to find a league full of vets and we basically all chose pitchers parks (1 yankee 27 and 2 Dunn is the extent of the "hitters parks"). Look below to see who is available at SS on the waiver wire this morning:

Yount, R. MLA '82 R SS 1e26
Banks, E. CHN '59 R SS 2e12
Ripken Jr., C. BAL '83 R SS 2e25
Trammell, A. DET '84 R SS 1e14
Wagner, H. PIT '09 R SS 1e54
Chapman, R. CLE '20 R SS 1e36

:lol:
When a whole LEAGUE goes for def and speed, it's pretty amazing to see who gets drafted... and who doesn't. Again, with so many vets on board, this really is a noteworthy fluke. Something else, huh?

As an aside, due to the similar nature of the stadiums and teams, this looks to be an exceedingly competitive league - auto leagues can be like Halloween candy, not always sure what you're going to get, but this one should be close and a lot of fun!
Moodymets

Postby egvrich » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:15 am

I'm in the league with you Moody, and to be honest with you, most people consider Dunn a pitcher's park also ............ :lol:
egvrich

Postby Moodymets » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:21 am

Yeah... I just thought it was funny that in this league, Dunn is about as "hitters park" as it gets! :wink: I'm actually rethinking some of my offensive strategy in Yankee 27 because of the other parks... my OBP was not overwhelming to begin with, but if I'm not going to be hitting homers away from home, I had better make up for that somehow.
Moodymets

Postby egvrich » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:48 am

Well, being the "odd man out" will either work against you or work in your favor. Not sure which, it depends upon how you build your team.

Either way, it should be interesting.
egvrich

Postby Rob55 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:21 pm

I'm in this one too....I seen all the pitchers parks and almost withdrew from the league before it filled...but figured what the heck lets see who can manage to pull an actuall small ball team out of the draft. As I figured my draft was fairly poor with everyone going for the same "type" of player.

What suprised me were the trade offers I have gotten. Only 2 so far but they were beauties. Fox for Lazzeri and Dean-Fox-Orosco for Frank White-Hubbel-Wyatt........ i had to laugh ....so its been fun so far!
Rob55

Postby Bunze0 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:26 pm

im not in this league but that seems to be the trend. i just started a team this past week and figured let me try small ball 1 time. and the whole league had the same idea. its griffith, forbes and candlestick. the free agents are a smorgasbord of boppers that dont fit our teams. haha. i started the season and still have 2 mil in bank. offering trades to get upgrade but no one wants to part with their small ballers.
Bunze0

Postby MtheB » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:32 pm

Though Trammel is overpriced, his value for smallball is excellent.
Only the Wiz has better D, he hits righties and lefties, will hit a ton of doubles (had him hit 56 for one of my smallball teams), has decent speed.
Often bat him 3rd vs lefties.
In that league, Yount and Banks will lose some homers, but I have seen Yount rip it up in smallball leagues--high BA, 50+ doubles, etc.
Banks, if he faces enough lefties, will hit homers anywhere.
MtheB

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats