Had enough of 1969 already!

Postby novie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:25 pm

While ATG is my favorite, due in large part to the size of the player pool and the options it gives everyone... I will say that I STRONGLY prefer '69 to 2005. I actually like the fact that every team will have major holes in it. No team can possibly have a team that doesn't have a hole in it at either 2b-3b-SS or RP. Which makes it fun to me. I guess the fact that my two teams so far are both in 1st and have a combined 67-41 record makes it more enjoyable too.
novie

Postby novie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:28 pm

Adding to Bobby's point, I sure hope ATGIII brings some new teams, but eliminates some as well... there sure isn't a need for an even larger player pool.

Personally, I would love to see the ATGIII format be a HOF set with cards based on their career averages and not specific years. It's time for the Pete-3FB-Babe Adams type cards to go away.
novie

Postby Quincy Wilson » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:36 pm

I agree with Novie on both his major points.I would like to see an ATG
type game with career or best, say, 7 years for the cards.I also strongly
prefer 1969 over 2005 but that is probably irrelevant as I don't plan
to buy anymore of either. I will stick with ATG after my current 5 packs are done. Unless TSN brings out a better mystery card game.BTT80's is
a little dated.
Quincy Wilson

Postby egvrich » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:47 pm

I'd love to see ATG III, but with a smaller player pool, the larger player pool in ATG II made it a little less of a challenge to build a competitive team which was the challenging part of it.

Regarding '69, I've got two team running and one starting next Monday. I like it because of the challenge of building a competitive team. It's tough, you have to have lots of platoons and be more of a manager (at least as much as HAL lets you). Yes, there are some really stupid cards in the set, but there are also some real interesting ones. Now, with that being said, I tend to let '69 run on autopilot, I build the team, set the lineups and rotations and just check in once in a while.

Whereas, with ATG, I am using per game starter options and constantly tweaking and tinkering.

Bottom line ... '69 has it's place, but it will never replace ATG.
egvrich

Postby modmark46 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:49 pm

I currently have four '69 teams going. While I enjoy the game as a change of pace from ATG2, I don't forsee playing it at the level I do ATG2, for the reasons that several stated above. Most likely, I will keep one 69 team active, after these four complete their seasons, at most. Similar to the current season games, where I buy run or two teams, just to try them. Must admit, I have never tried BTT80's, as the whole mystery card concept just doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Maybe one day... Would love to see a Hall of Fame set, or something similar, added to ATG2 (Pie Traynor, where are you?).
modmark46

Postby Cubs48 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:52 pm

ATG 2 is the main course for me...80's and '69 are next...200x is last(maybe because I'm burned out on 2005)...but truthfully I enjoy them all to some extent... :)
Cubs48

Postby Runnin Rebel » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:42 am

Though it will be met with total rebellion, I favor a Mystery Card for ATG III.
Runnin Rebel

Postby buster j ratt » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:45 pm

Had 69 cards Graduated in 69 Maybe advantage Have 3 teams Last place with stars 1st place with Pepitone Beauchamp Lemaster J Niekro just to name a few If anyone can get Pepitone bat him cleanup and watch his HR smoke He definitely sold his soul to the STATO Gods Saw that on every card version growing up On pace to hit 78 HR and 150 plus RBI for me
Give 69 a break Landed on the MOON WOODSTOCK METS ASTROS started 4-20 and ende up 81-81 Back to back no-no's Maloney and Wilson and of course BATMAN was on TV
buster j ratt

Postby JohnnyBlazers » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:28 pm

I'm new at this but I would like to see them set up an option where you can seperate players by era theey play in. I think the game is fun, but I just don't believe that a player that played in 1915 can dominate a Willie Mays or a Mickey Mantle. That pitcher may have dominated back in 1915, however that was the "dead ball" era with bigger parks. This is one area where the game could use in an improvement-it operates under the assumption that players back then can compete with more modern players. I say split it pre-1950 & post-1950 & add more teams circa 1970's. (77-78 Yanks)
JohnnyBlazers

Postby traderj » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:25 pm

Currently playing one '69 team, and the pickin's are slim, have an outfield of Yaz, Bonds and jackson at Fulton, currently in 2nd place. But I am an ATG II man, many reasons stated above i.e., variety, themes, etc. And i totally agree with the idea that if you want a "more real" team, play with a limited cap, 50 or 60 mill., you WILL have holes. Lots of injuries and bad D in the '69 game but I will probably try it again, just love ATG II but would like to see a III also with additional teams. Just my .02
traderj

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats