Second-guessing Hal

Second-guessing Hal

Postby jlt53 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:23 pm

One of the great parts of this game (for me at least) is looking at the game summaries and trying to figure out what Hal was thinking. I think if I figure him out, I will do better, since I can make my settings accordingly. But it is, unfortunately, hopeless.

OK, I am down 4-2 going into the top of the ninth. I am the road team.
Here's what happens.

*** TOP OF INNING 9 ***
SUBSTITUTE P - Mike Marshall
0 C.Hafey 5-11 Single (1B) b-1 gb(1B)x F4
SUBSTITUTE P - Firpo Marberry
0 1 W.McGee 4-9 Double (CF) 1-3 b-2 F9
SUBSTITUTE P - Pete Richert
0 23 O.Smith 5-7 Strike Out b-0 F9
1 23 B.Mackey 2-12 Fly Out (RF) b-0 F9
SUBSTITUTE PH- Buster Adams
SUBSTITUTE P - Woodie Fryman
2 23 B.Adams 3-6 Home Run (LF) 3-H 2-H b-H bpHR 1-11 F9
2 G.Sisler 3-9 Single (RF) b-1 F9
2 1 G.Brett 5-10 Foul Out (C) b-0 catch-x F9

The 10M Walter Johnson was pitching for the other guys. He was still at F9 and had allowed only two runs in 8 innings, so I don't know why Hal would take him out in the first place. Especially when he was bringing in the 4M Mike Marshall, who apparently was already pooped and was at F4.
Anyway, MM gets Hafey to hit a grounder to Frank Howard at first which, not surprisingly, Frank can't reach and it goes for a single.
That is it for MM. Here comes Firpo Marberry.
He throws one pitch to Willie McGee who doubles. So now I have the tying runs on base with none out and McGee a 1-17 at second. Not a bad spot.
That's it for Firpo. Time for Pete Richert. He actually gets a couple guys out, but then the wheels start turning. Buster Adams is announced as the pinch hitter for John McGraw (!?!?) Why? A single should tie the game, and certainly McGraw has a better chance of getting a hit against any pitcher than Buster. But Hal is thinking big.
The move was apparently so disorienting that the opposing manager pulled out Richert -- on the verge of a three up-three down save -- and brought in Woody Fryman.
And, of course, .77 M Buster Adams goes yard. His third homer in 14 at bats this season, bringing his OPS to 1.412.
I manage to blow the lead in the bottom of the ninth, but win in extra innings.
All hail Hal, unless you happen to be the other manager.
jlt53

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats