Back from Katrina

Postby Free Radicals » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:57 pm

On Sunday evening I was just leaving Chicago headed to Texas and tuned into WWL 870 am . All night they were telling folks to flee . They had all kinds of local officials on saying , you need to leave now . A good 12 hours before landfall . At 12:45 am on Monday morning they were saying , if you haven't left by now , you better hunker down and be ready for the storm . No longer would the authorities be out trying to get folks to leave and they were clearing their officers off the roads . Then WWL went dead . No broadcasting at all the rest of the night . The people of New Orleans had their chance to leave and were warned , unfortunately , Katrina was a badass storm and wiped the Gulf Coast clean . I spent Friday in San Antonio helping in a shelter . Austin , where I live, has taken in 10,000. Its a sad thing , but if they are going to rebuild NO then they need to make sure the levees and infrastructure will handle a cat 4-5 because it will happen again , just don't know when . I think the Mayor has done a great job with what he had to work with for the 1st 3-4 days , which was barely over nothing .
Free Radicals

Postby MATTSCHMIDT » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:39 pm

Way to spew out the party line, Roosky... did the RNC pay you to post that???

:roll:
MATTSCHMIDT

This was the first time...

Postby Play By The Rules » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:59 pm

...that an evacuation was ever ordered in New Orleans.

EVER.

Ordered by Mayor Ray Nagin.

So anyone that thinks otherwise can kiss my ass.

Sorry.
Play By The Rules

Postby NEILKAHN » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:50 pm

The most gruesome thing is the death not yet discovered, recovered. Unlike other disasters, where there was damage, and yet the effected areas were immediately accessible, the flooding has delayed the recovery process. I have heard description of floating corpses, dead in attics where they drowned, feasting alligators.[Grimace] I have seen a lot of coverage about looters. Well, of COURSE they looted. What a bunch of crap. If I were stuck downtown with no food or water, and a convenience store had these things, it would be idiotic not to take them. Now, the TV theft was idiotic, but I can not believe that anyone would begrudge these people food, clothes, flashlights, whatever they needed to survive. I heard that a Wal Mart just threw open the doors and told people to take what they wanted/needed. I saw several pictures of people looting beer. Well, of course they looted beer. Is that not a clean liquid source? And the empty cans could be used to fashion a pontoon for a raft! :D
NEILKAHN

Postby Goreds54 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:56 pm

PBTR, you never seem to miss an opportunity to knock or downgrade President Bush, a man I admire and respect greatly. Myself and others have urged you and others over and over to not turn this message board into political warfare. That is what the bullpen forum is supposed to be for. All it does is create bad feelings between us in the ATG community. All of us are not liberals and all of us are not conservatives, so why can't we keep that part of our lives separate from our love of strat-o-matic baseball :?:
Goreds54

Postby NEILKAHN » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:51 am

Damn straight! I do not care if you are liberal or conservative, as long as you laugh at my jokes, and lose to my teams. :D On the other hand, I do not care if someone goes off on a tangent either. God knows I do from time to time. Well, ok, all of the time.
NEILKAHN

So let me see here...

Postby Play By The Rules » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:36 am

...on a thread started by someone else called "back from Katrina," I am not allowed to criticize the embarrassing failure of FEMA? No, those trying to be political are the ones blindly following the Neocon party line while people drown. The ones fighting over control of the situation instead of getting help there yesterday.

That's the great response from the right when they are criticized, that it is UNPATRIOTIC to complain. Great logic.

So, you admire George Bush? Did you admire Adolf Hitler, too? After all, his granddaddy helped finance the Nazi war machine. It was also considered "UNPATRIOTIC" to complain about anything in that regieme.

This is a FACT, not an opinion.
Play By The Rules

Postby genegrid » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:04 am

I heard that George Bush is now considered the worst City Planner in the history of New Orleans. Maybe if someone told him he had that job, he could have been more effective at it.
When the big one hits Ca., I will make a big sign that says, "Why has thou forsaken me, Dubya"?
genegrid

Goreds...

Postby Munich_Man » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:18 am

Please tell me what exactly President Bush has done to earn your respect. I would really like to know.

(_)ß
Munich_Man

Postby seyclops » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:20 pm

George Washington: $14.94M
Abraham Lincoln: $14.65M
Franklin D. Roosevelt: $14.14M
George W. Bush: $0.50M
seyclops

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats