1000 Wins

1000 Wins

Postby MICHAELEVANS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:33 am

Well, with 11 completed teams and 5 teams just starting up or part-way through the season, last night I won my 1,000th game. It feels pretty good, especially since it came before losing my 1,000th game.

To be honest, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I fully expect to get my 1,000th loss by the weekend or early next week. :roll: Still, this has been so much fun for me, and I have learned so much from so many of you, and I want to thank you all. It has been incredible to see so many of the top managers willing to give advice to newbies, even when we are in the same league and your advice could end up hurting your team. You guys are a class act.

I want to give Charlie a special mention, however. Before he pitched in and gave me a LOT of help and advice, I only had 1 winning season out of 5 teams. Since then, I have only had 1 losing season and that was because I ignored his advice. Thanks, Charlie.

:)
MICHAELEVANS

Postby gamiam » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:48 am

Gratz man! My experience is that the first 2000 or so games is ALL learning. So if you are over .500 now, you should be moving on up. Looking back at my first 10 teams, I just laugh at the mistakes I made. Hopefully, I will look back at my recent teams and laugh as well. The only thing I have learned playing this game is that there is ALWAYS more to learn. I too want to thank the community for all of the informative posts and answers to my questions over the last year or so. Helping the new players to improve is the best way to keep this competitive and interesting!
gamiam

Postby B.o.b.b.y... » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:22 am

A very nice way to start the day. Congrats on the milestone. It's refreshing to read posts that show the joy of playing and participating in this game. Go get your next milestone whatever it may be...Bobby :D :D
B.o.b.b.y...

Postby gkhd11a » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:28 am

Thank you for the thanks it was fun to watch your teams. And now you are kicking my butt in the first division we were in together with a bomber team and I can never win with a bomber team. Your next thousand will be much quicker I predict.

Good luck and remember to keep your convertible top down at night!

GO SOX!!! (ironic isn't it you were in Venezuela now in Houston and all the celebration will be in Venezeula when Ozzie wins!)
gkhd11a

Postby MICHAELEVANS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:08 am

True, but one poor consolation is that that Ozzie (in Venezuela) will always come in second to Mr. Venezuela, Luis Aparicio, or as he is called in Venezuela, Luis El Grande. Even Andres Galaraga isn't as beloved. Hmm, thinking about it, it isn't much of a consolation after all..... :?
MICHAELEVANS

Postby Valen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:39 am

[quote:42e66c16e3]Gratz man! My experience is that the first 2000 or so games is ALL learning.[/quote:42e66c16e3]
Cannot say that has been the case with me. My first 2001 team went to playoffs and second won a title as did my 4th or 5th team. The more I play though the more I pick players based on who I like for reasons I cannot explain or just try something off the wall. I start out drafting saying this time I will build a winner, and before I know it I am going I wonder what would happen if I tried doing this really stupid thing that I know I should not do but I have not done it before so just this once...

So how long does it take to finally do all the stupid stuff you know better than trying but just cannot resist temptation and run out of silly ideas so you can return to doing things that could result in winning teams?

I think I may need therapy. :D
Valen

Postby Palanion » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:27 pm

Way to go Geez!!!

I am just a handful of wins from 700, but am at 740 losses... maybe I should be seeking this same advice you got.... ;)

And remind me never to join a league you are in ;)

May your next 1,000 wins be faster than Cobb on Red Bull.
Palanion

Postby Play By The Rules » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:45 pm

Good job, bro!

Myself I am within range of going 1000 games over .500, right now I'm about 950 over but it will take some time since I seem to be going 9-9 every night now...

This game is a lot of fun, for sure.
Play By The Rules

Postby MICHAELEVANS » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:50 pm

:shock: PBTR, that is the difference between a pro (you) and a rank amateur (me)! Congrats and good luck! :mrgreen:
MICHAELEVANS

Postby Play By The Rules » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:04 pm

I'm no pro, I just have no life... :roll:
Play By The Rules

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats