Help for a newcomer to ATG2

Help for a newcomer to ATG2

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:42 am

I have so far only played strat 2005 and had OK success but I have now had one of my credits moved to ATG2. I am going to draft a team soon but was wondering if anyone can give me some general help relevant to ATG. I am from England, so have not heard of a lot of the players. Who should I always consider? Who to avoid? Which stadiums are worth considering etc etc?. I have a huge knowledge gap about baseball pre 2004.

Any help would be much appreciated.
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby Rob55 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:58 am

There are 50 stadiums and 1100 players....your question is too generic. The pricing is pretty accurate so you get what you pay for. What style team do you like to build, small ball, bomber or balanced? There are usually a few prime picks at every postion. This isn't like the 200x series games...there is plenty of offense, pitching and defense to go around at most all postions. Give us a "style" and it will be easier to lend a hand.
Rob55

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:14 am

I am not a particular fan of "small ball" and bunts, hit and run etc (at least not in Strat O matic).. Usually I put these on Conservative on my manager strategy. I like high OB at top of order then good hitters, BP at #'s 3, 4 ,and 5. That sort of thing. I usually have played mostly in neutral Yankee Stadium.

Hope this helps a bit.
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby Rob55 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:33 am

Small ball seems to be the current fad here, and people are having very good success with it. But if you like hitting .... then you should be able to draft a fairly good team. I would go past a neutral park to more of a hitting park say like Shibe 29.....

give you some players shortly
Rob55

Postby Rob55 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:51 am

you can get hitting that doesn't involve poor defense....and I suggest to go that route. Keep good D up the middle. The snall ball teams will all try and scarf up the good SS and 2B men.... I suggest going for Yount or Banks at SS.... Banks would require a #1 pick and you still might not get him. Mays-Snider-Mantle-Alou-Thomas....all good choices....go for a good arm in right ...Reggie Jackson-Cuyler...that type.....you can get away with poorer D and arm in left. Lots of guys who don't get injured much to choose from too. Simmons-Yaz. 1B there is a load of talent....pretty much just pick one ....Musial-Cooper-Collins-Cepeda-Murray- Foxx-Clark.

I am sure whoever I put here someone else would have a different opinion....

As for avoiding guys.... a few I pass on ...and once again you will get different views...Ott-Schmidt-Lazzeri-Powell-Hodges-Smith.

Pitchers go with guys with few or no BPHR's on the card. LOTS to pick from. Your best bet after you draft a team is to post a link here and ask for help/options ...you will get lots of feed back...and its not like your draft card has to be perfect, you can still build a good team if you have some holes after the draft. When you start trying to build if you are having trouble selecting players.... post here with a WHO should I take at 3B type post ..... with all the players its really hard to give you a who's who to draft. In shibe I would probably spend 30-35 M on pitching the rest on hitting....and make sure you get at least one of the good relievers... Garber-Fryman-Beggs-Martinez-Lefferts......I usually go for a righty and a lefty....hope this helps a little
Rob55

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats