SOM PLAYERS TOUR LEADERS (Thru Event 7, Leagues 1-3)

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:29 pm

It is not a crappy statistic but it also isn't a true measurement of managerial skill. I refer you to the "fun with Pythagorean Theorem" thread on the old boards based upon a newspaper article that concluded Bobby Cox was the best manager because his teams won (on average) a higher number of games above their projections than anyother manager.

RS/RA does not factor in losing a lot of close games (or winning them) versus blowouts. For a over-simplified example, look no farther than the 2005 Green Bay Packers in the NFL. They are 2-9 with a positive PF/PA ratio.
ERICTAYLOR 2

Postby pacoboy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:33 pm

So let me get this straight Mr. Cristiano, you live in or near NYC and you have yet to come out w/ ALL THE BOYS during our annual NYC nights out on the town ? (VERY PUBLICLY ADVERTISED TOO).

....that's just wrong !

So let me get this straight Mr. Teepack, wives give BJ's ? ....to thier own husbands too ? When the Fk did that start happening ?!

....that's just wrong !

Cristiano, next summer I better see you come out w/ the boys...and bring some "Friends" with ya. I don't mind the left overs, beggers can't be choosey :cry: :wink: :P
pacoboy

Postby cristano11 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:37 pm

if i were amending the rules for next year, i think there are some important things to consider...

#1 - less points for how you do in playoffs...i think wildcard should be equal points to division winner, since 90% of times wildcard has a better record than at least one division winner, and is usually playing in the most difficult division...i personally would do a 15 + 5 + 5 bonus system (making playoffs, making finals, winning finals)
in our current league, managers ranked in the mid 30s can make the final tour event by having a 90 win team that wins a championship in event 7...thats too broad of a swing, i feel at this point no one ranked over 20 should have a shot at making the final league, since we are 6/7 of the way completed

#2 - i wouldnt make the winner of the final league the overall champion...id count results of the final league twice, since you are playing against the 12 best...then take those results and average it to everything else...

#3 - remove star events...if you want to weight leagues, maybe give more points to the later leagues...league 1 is a walk in the park, since 95% of managers dont really know how good certain players are...i believe the leagues get more difficult as the year progresses...allowing the star events allows people like me to "cheat", and play in the minimum number of events, and maximize the added bonus of the star leagues...

#4 - have a 5 league minimum, but allow anyone who plays in more than 5 leagues to drop their worst result from their average...

i think these changes, or similar, would greatly improve the tour...i feel like right now, where we are now, there should be 15-20 legit managers , at most, that have a shot at making the final league...less than 20 in my opinion, but whatever...no way, after 85.7% of the leagues are completed, should manager #35 have a shot at making the final league...no offense, whomever is ranked 35...
cristano11

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:57 pm

I've had more bj's in the three months I've been separated than the last three years of my marriage (by a long shot). Teepack, hang on to that girl or I'll marry her!

Hint to guys who crave bj's...go for chicks who smoke (if you can get past the rest of what that habit brings to the table). The oral fixation is easily transferred to little etdefender, if ya know what I mean
ERICTAYLOR 2

Postby cristano11 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:21 pm

and when he says "little et defender" he means tiny tiny tiny et defender...if u know what i mean...
cristano11

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:39 pm

I knew someone would go there...
ERICTAYLOR 2

Postby mesquiton » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:42 pm

[quote:873b804e1f]In case you wonder, I like cristano a lot (bjs wise, particularly). I had a lot of fun during our exchanges....[/quote:873b804e1f]

Hey, whatever turns you on! :o

But when you guys finally get around to deciding the losers have to give the winner bjs, I'm withdrawing from the Tour, just in case.... :P
mesquiton

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:16 pm

My point is rather that RS/RA is a crappy stat to determine who's the best Strat coach this year as determined by the Tour.

If RS/RA was the stat to measure coach success, I wouldn't bench my injury-prone star after game 150,

if RS/RA was the stat to measure coach success, I wouldn't trade for a *SP in the middle of the season (as I did twice) so I can count on one for the very important semi-final.

and by the way, RA/RS is a biased stat against pitching teams...meaning that coaches leaning towards pitching strategy will have lower RA/RS ratio, compared to offensive coaches who continously rely on lower-cost pitchers.

The unbiaised stat is (RA)^2/(RS + RA)^2 (some say you have to replace 2 by 1.83 to have more precision).
MARCPELLETIER

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:23 pm

[quote:f9dbc51c62]Hint to guys who crave bj's...go for chicks who smoke [/quote:f9dbc51c62]

hate to say it, but etdefender knows his stuff
MARCPELLETIER

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:23 pm

[quote:f117f586eb]hate to say it, but etdefender knows his stuff[/quote:f117f586eb]

I do. 8) Too bad I didn't know shït when I was 19 or 20 instead of learning it all in my 30's and (soon to be) beyond... :P 8)
ERICTAYLOR 2

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship