Let's get the Champions League Off the Ground-check in here

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby uncle ny » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:42 am

Question for you guys smarter than me, all 11 of you: post draft I got comments like "good team, wrong stadium" from a few participants. now that there's enough season under our belts to see some tangible results, my home record is quite good and, unfortunately, my road record sucks. My question: why did you think GAB was a bad choice and what would have been the perfect choice for this team?
uncle ny

Postby james » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:33 pm

uncle, i have no idea what you are saying! :wink:
james

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:01 am

uncleny,

As far as I am concerned, your stadium is relatively good given your roster and your situation.

On first look, some might say that your stadium (with no edge to either left-handed or right-handed hitters) is not the most appropriate for a roster that has 7 left-handed bats vs rhp. However, your divisional opponents have collectively more left-handed pitchers than rhp. And you have 3 right-handed pitchers, and only 1 lhp. So if you had chosen a park that gave an edge to lefty bats, you would have given an edge to your offense, but you would have also given a disadvantage to your pitching. Thus, on this particular aspect---again assuming this roser---a lefty park would have not given your team much more advantage.

In terms of power, you hit 113 hr and you allowed 108 hr, so your selection (hr=13) appears appropriate.

In terms of singles, however, your stadium exactly fits your need. You have a relative poor double-play combination (ss-2, 2b-2 vs rhp, 3 vs lhp), and your catcher has a very bad arm (+2). This resulted in the worst opponent stolen base percentage and among the lowest number of turned double-plays. So by reducing singles to a minimum (si=1), you minimized at best your weaknesses.

Perhaps what could have been done is to increase a bit the power on your roster, so that you end with more homeruns than your opponents (after, hr=13 is relatively advantageous for power line-ups). ARamirez--that you had selected, if my memory serves well---would have made a very good dh, it seems to me.

But personally, I think I would have done the opposite. Again, if my memory serves well, Martinez and ARamirez were late choices of yours in the draft. By taking these players, you probably felt necessary to go with a stadium that had a little bit more power. But up to there, you had a very strong team for a small-ball stadium, with Kotsay, Rollins, Huff, among others, and with Pedro in the staff. So I think I would have gone this way, perhaps opting for players like: Juan Rivera over Matsui, Loduca over Martinez, and Durazo over ARamirez, along with a small-ball park selection. It appears to me that this would have given to your team a better coherence with your stadium, although it would have forced you to go with 4 right-handed hitters, which is perhaps something you wanted to avoid.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby james » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:31 pm

i think you have a great safeco or topicana team. Miller would have won you a few as well.
james

real life imitating art!!

Postby james » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Tigers Reliever Percival Leaves Training Camp:

[url]http://sports.excite.com/news/02272006/v9096.html[/url]
james

Postby uncle ny » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:53 pm

marcus,

thanks for the feedback/analysis. i hope when i grow up i'm as smart as you guys.
uncle ny

Postby uncle ny » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:44 pm

[quote:011e0a4cb4="Woods007"]uncle, i have no idea what you are saying! :wink:[/quote:011e0a4cb4]

I met a girl named Nancy. She told me you took her to a Jethro Tull concert. A very long time ago. Said you were suave and debonair and a real gentleman. I had to ask again if we were talking about the same JH. Although the description of her date didn't sound like you to me, I'm convinced he be you.

Now do you know what I'm talking about?
uncle ny

alternate.......

Postby FoggyOne » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:51 pm

I would happily serve as an alternate BUT only if I could be in a divison with the Sunshine Boys (Woods and Uncle).
FoggyOne

Postby uncle ny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:48 pm

damn this thread got boring.
uncle ny

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship