Unintentional experiment, a ramble, and a question

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Unintentional experiment, a ramble, and a question

Postby lorenzolinh » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:48 pm

There was a post a month or so ago about how interesting it would be to let HAL manage all season. I didn't quite go that far, but aside from picking my 4-man rotation and line-ups I didn't set anything with my team until around game 100, and I've made only 3 pick-ups all season([b:b265090709]Rafael Belliard[/b:b265090709], since dropped for [b:b265090709]Greg Pryor[/b:b265090709], and [b:b265090709]Ivan Calderon[/b:b265090709]). A couple of notes/thoughts:

-Willie Frasier (.75) used early and often with great success, and at this point it's safe to say he's on his best year.
-Doug Sisk used (.81) as mop up from the get-go. Seems to be appropriate.
-Atlee Hammaker off to horrendous start but used quite a bit, and over last 40 games or so he's kicked it into gear.
-Jim Clancy and Luis Leal were awful first half of season, but I kept them both and they've been tearing it up recently. Putting a 6 inning max on Leal seems to have made a big difference.
-Several hitters (Lansford and Barfield) began poorly but have come on lately.

I've been very lucky in getting some good seasons from the draft (and in avoiding the division with Ugly, Fletch, and Jawajedi), but there may also be something to learn as far as sticking with players through poor starts and hanging on to worst season cards that fit your team (Kruk, for example, is on his '88 card but helps me with OBP vs. RHP).

So, knowing that Murphy is in his 6R '83 season, would you vets drop Bowa or T. Fernandez for a 2-3 mil CF that can hit lefties? Drop one of them plus Murphy for an expensive CF? Defense and pitching have kept me in contention and I'm inclined to stay the course, but curious to hear other opinions. Playing in Comiskey.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/80s/team/team_other.html?user_id=76730
lorenzolinh

Postby voovits » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm not a big Dwayne Murphy fan, not taking into account I wouldn't want him on my team anyway, I would drop him. I would also end up getting rid of Bowa, Fernandez seems to be holding his own and you don't need such an expensive bench guy. I assume you're using him as your DH vrs lefties due to Kruk not hitting lefties. Doing so would then leave you a hole in the DH slot vrs lefties. It would be for that reason I would get rid of Kruk as well. He is drawing walks and getting on base, but you could usually probably find someone decent out there to fill the DH role, especially if you're not forced to focus on 1 position that may be particularly weak.
Now the problem to all this, is that it is so late in the season the drop penalty is so big, and most of the better players have probably been battle tested already, so there may not be suitable replacements. If you do try to make moves, try to plan ahead. Don't make the mistake of dropping bowa, then dropping murphy only to find out there's nobody good you can get in return. I did that once, I'll never make that mistake again.
Also, contrary to what I say, you are 66-54 and in first place. There's an old saying that the best move you make is the one you didn't make. You may not want to mess with the team at all.
The moves I mentioned above are moves I personally would have made possibly before the season even started.

Lastly though, if you are convinced that Fraser is in his best year, you may want to consider making him your closer. You could possibly free up a lot of money by getting rid of Orosco for a cheaper option. I know his ERA is good, but I tend to look at WHIP more than ERA. If you want HAL to maximize Frasers usage, put him in the setup role and the closer role so he pitches a lot. Again though, your team is doing good, no need to necessarily gut the team, these are just a few suggestions.
I've had Frasers best year many times and he could be a dominant relief pitcher with his best card. Through some freak mistake by HAL, he was put in as the starter in game 6 of the world series in the only season I won the championship. He won the game, and that was the clincher.
voovits

Postby lorenzolinh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks for the considered response. I've actually had an injury reveal on Orosco and have his best year ('83), though his stats haven't reflected it. And I'm using Calderon to DH against lefties, Bowa/Fernandez in SS platoon.

I've been on a streak lately, so staying pat may be the play. We'll see.
lorenzolinh

Postby voovits » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:09 am

OK I retract what I said about Orosco, you definitely want to keep him as the primary closer.
What you said about Bowa would give me all the more reason to part ways with him, but if things are currently working for you, then stick with what you got. Especially because you're not likely to find much out there this late in the season anyway.
voovits

Postby gutter huggers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:09 am

In the 70's game, I would try to get Foli. A .75 player, with good defense. Harrelson and Bowa would annoy me, because the 2+ million, never justified the lack of hitting, measured against the defense.

In the 80's game, it's hard to find a player like Foli. The 70's game is full of cheap shortstops, who play well defensively, but can't hit.

Bowa seems to work well though. He can run, he can bunt, he can H+R. He does the little things. I play a slow runner in front of him, in the 8th spot, and let Bowa move him along in Dodger land, and hope for a single from the lead off hitter.
gutter huggers

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s