Injuries in the playoffs - Question

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Injuries in the playoffs - Question

Postby voovits » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:57 am

So, I was a lock for first over all seed and I decided to rest my injury prone starters (Mays, Lance Parrish) for obvious reasons and some of my low AB guys to avoid long injuries.
So lo and behold, HAL decides in game 161 to pinch hit for my back-up catcher and bring in my 78 Sixto lezcano to pinch hit. Naturally he gets hurt (I am however feeling lucky that Parrish survived the rest of the game without injury)
Basically to make a long story short, Lezcano is injured "through Semi-Finals Game 3"
Now perhaps it's late and I'm very tired, but the wording is confusing me. Does that mean he'll be back in game 3 or 4?

Thanks
voovits

Postby LMBombers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:03 am

He won't be available until game 4 of your first series (or game 1 of the Finals, whichever comes first).

You did your best in trying to rest your key guys. Sometimes you just can't avoid HAL doing something like that and then getting unlucky with an injury. You can do little things that can help you avoid this such as making sure the bench players you will be using don't have "remove with defensive sub" checked on their cards. You can also check the boxes for "don't PH vs LHP" and "don't PH vs RHP" on their cards. These things might help you keep your resting starters on the bench. You would need to remember to change those settings back to normal when the playoffs start.
LMBombers

Postby voovits » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks for that info.

You know, I was worried about HAL pinch hitting for my benched starters all along and I tried to figure out how to keep a guy out of the lineup.
So I went to Mays and Parrish and clicked on the avoid lefties/avoid righties and avoid using as a PH in blowouts hoping that would be good enough.
Well it worked, Mays never got in the game and Parrish was only used out of necessity, but I did not even think of clicking on the options of the bench guys I was using for that week. I'll have to remember that for the future.
I should also feel lucky that my 1970 Killebrew did not get hurt as he started all 3 games due to lack of a replacement. I believe he has the ABs to avoid a long injury, though I don't remember for sure.
Thanks for the tip.
voovits

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s