Don Carrithers is my best starter (70's pitchers stink!)

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Don Carrithers is my best starter (70's pitchers stink!)

Postby echo22 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:52 pm

:shock:
:D

Yes he is. I'm not as knowledgable about baseball as you guys but I thought the 70's was a pitcher's decade? I can almost always find a good staff in the 80's, finishing #1 in pitching several times, even in hitter's parks. I've had John Tudor win 31 games. In the 70's I'm almost always last, or at least bottom 3. I think I've had maybe four 20 game winners (in about 20 seasons), and only one Cy Young (Dierker). I remember one WS team whose best starters were Espinosa and Lacorte. My last tourney team made the playoffs with an ace of Eric Rasmussen. If one of my original starters survive a season it's a miracle! In the end I almost always end up with a bunch of spares as my staff.

Well my current 70's Tourney team is no exception. We are up by 6 games after 105 played and my ace is.......Don Carrithers! He is 4-1 with an ERA of 3.12. Next up us the always reliable Rasmussen at 3.32. Owchinko, Lerch, Frieselben and Simpson round out this stellar staff after I ditch Bradley and his 6.68 ERA.

So how can a team stay afloat with a staff like that? I dunno. To make matters worse, McCovey has played in 56 of a possible 105 games. Now I LOVE me some Willie and know he gets hurt a lot but he's on pace to miss 80 games :shock: That's crazy. And if my pitching woes were not enough I decided to make it harder on them about 30 games ago by giving the 2B job to Gold Glove winner Jorge Orta! My team ERA actually hasn't worsened with him. I just grew tired of 2B2 guys who couldn't hit .200.

Anyway just a little rant. If anyone of you baseball card guys has one of Don Carrithers I would love to see what my ace looks like :lol:
echo22

Postby YountFan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

You cannot use 80's logic in the 70's. First I think you can get good performances from 4-6m SP in the right park. You need solid 'd' in the 70's and a low BP homer park to get any kind of performance from your pitchers. I haven't proved it,but I think they are lots of BP homeruns on the pitcher cards.
YountFan

Postby echo22 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:44 am

Well they didn't do too well last night. They got hammered (and swept) in a pitching park. They actually perform better in Wrigley!

I usually have good defense up the middle and for the most part it hasn't made much of a difference. I use Morgan quite a bit and pretty much always have a SS2.

Other than one mid-season pickup of Phil Niekro I've had virtually zero success with 5 million+ pitchers. I looked up my 20 game winners and here they are.

Jack Billingham
Larry Dierker
Sonny Siebert
Luis Tiant
Joe Coleman

So I've actually had 5 with Tiant being the most expensive.

One thing I have noticed is there are not nearly as many reverse guys in the 70's.
echo22

Postby PillPop » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:59 pm

Jenn, meet Don...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/don_carrithers_autograph.jpg
PillPop

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s