How does HAL choose??? - UPDATE

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

How does HAL choose??? - UPDATE

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:52 am

Here's a curious one...I picked up B Downing as my new C...this is the 70's game if it matters...Duffy "The Hammer" Dyer is my backup. I didn't set Downing in my lineup. Curiously HAL sits Downing all three games and uses the player thats 1/3 Downing's salary as my C. By the way Dyer is currently 10/27 (.370) with 8 RS, 1HR, and 2RBI.

Question...if no C is set how does HAL choose?...best card?...best split?...best defensive C? Obviously its not based upon salary so does anyone know what is the criteria?
Last edited by JONCHUCKERY on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JONCHUCKERY

Postby djkalle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 am

HAL loves defensive catchers, especially ones with good throwing arms. My impression is that you could have the best hitter in the entire league but if he has a +1 throwing arm, Duffy Dyer will play. If you plug in Downing at catcher but leave open any position that Downing has on his card, HAL will often move Downing to a different position and play Dyer at catcher.

Chuck
djkalle

Postby YountFan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Or Downing's cards suck eggs. You never know with HAL, but it is an indicator. I have had HAL sit guys on there best card too for reasons on match up, defense, the moon in the 7th house, etc.

Let Duffy play a few series and see what's up. Let Downing play a few series. Maybe it is a great platoon.
YountFan

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:53 am

Well...I put Downing in my lineup and he's hitting the daylights out of the ball. Downing gets injured and reveal shows he's on his best card 79. He's htting a meager .458 so far.

So obviously D is whats important to HAL in selecting a C as he sat Downing in favor of Dyer
JONCHUCKERY

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s