Odd injury-Still unanswered

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby Sykes25 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm

Sorry that it took so long for me to reply.

I know that Bernie cannot loko back at "dice rolls" unless it was a game from the prior night as the logs are purged each evening. My bad here that I did not get on Bernie right away for this log.

Vs LHB, the only anomoly for Comer is 1982 where he has a fatigue on a 6-12, but that would be a single and not a ground uut unless the outfield was shallow, or guarding lines or something strange.

If HAL was stupid and reading the card wrong as a RHB, that leaves two possibilities, but lets not go there.

Comer was not fatigued due to anything this game. Did he happen to pitch in 2 consecutive games leading to this one?

I don't have my SA fielding charts in the office, but I do not recall a pitcher injury on a bunt for hit situation, or a situation where a bunt for single turns into an "X" chance for any position. Regardless, a bunt for single would not result in a roll of 3 dice for a 6-12 before reading the chart.

This is a good one that I will try to get bernie to look at, but I can't promise he will have much further to offer. IF he can see the card year though, that will go a long way to answering the question.
Sykes25

Postby Mean Dean » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Switch-hitters cannot bat the "same way" in SOM. In the computer version of the game, you can attempt to bunt for a base hit with no one on base. The rules governing this are not printed. It's true that an injury to a pitcher would be impossible on a normal sac bunt with runners on. But, bunting for a base hit doesn't use that same bunt chart; it uses a different methodology, where apparently all three dice are rolled as usual, and an injury to the pitcher is thus possible. Or at least, that seems like the most likely explanation for this.
Mean Dean

Postby Sykes25 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 pm

[quote:3116ea4efd="DeanTSC"]... In the computer version of the game, you can attempt to bunt for a base hit with no one on base. The rules governing this are not printed. It's true that an injury to a pitcher would be impossible on a normal sac bunt with runners on. But, bunting for a base hit doesn't use that same bunt chart; it uses a different methodology, where apparently all three dice are rolled as usual, and an injury to the pitcher is thus possible. Or at least, that seems like the most likely explanation for this.[/quote:3116ea4efd]

I stand corrected. I trust Dean's synopsis here on the bunt for single effect.

[quote:3116ea4efd="Sykes25"]I don't have my SA fielding charts in the office, but I do not recall a pitcher injury on a bunt for hit situation, or a situation where a bunt for single turns into an "X" chance for any position. Regardless, a bunt for single would not result in a roll of 3 dice for a 6-12 before reading the chart. [/quote:3116ea4efd]

When I play the CD ROM, I don't recall seeing a dice roll on a bunt for single though, thus my statement above. One possibility though, is that the roll is hidden and before reading the chart (since nobody is on base) perhaps the hidden roll is made strictly to check for injury if the DH is up and trying for that bunt single.

I'd debate the logic of why HAL would try for a bunt single with Young in the first place. He's a C bunter and only 1-14 speed. :?
Sykes25

Postby Panzer ace » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Well if Young was bunting for a hit to lead off an inning......
this is sad on a couple levels...(I asked the manager of the other team how he set up Young. He claims Young is set up to "dont't bunt' and his manager settings is on 'normal' for bunting.) Sooooo, is Hal really bunting with a 'C' bunter to lead off an inning when he is set to 'don't bunt"??? Or is something wrong in the TSN program? Either answer is bad in my humble opinion. I have been very skeptical of the new "Hal" logic Bernieh applied to the 80's game over the summer. I have seen some very 'unusual' results in just about every league I have been in since the new logic took over. So I guess we are to beleve "Hal" is making ridiculous moves like bunting when we tell him not to, or the program is spewing out results that dont exist on the cards. Neither answer is acceptable.
Panzer ace

Postby Paul5757 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:58 pm

Did you see the post in the ATG forum about Nellie Fox?

He hit a BP-HR vs. a LHP, which shouldn't happen, as he had a "W" power rating.

Strange stuff going on in TSN. Makes me wonder about the whole "injury reveal" deal.
Paul5757

Postby tkkjlsoup » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:03 pm

It certainly seems to me that the most simple explanation is that there are occasional coding errors in the input of the cards. It would be interesting to have YF do an analysis of some of the statistics he compiled to see if any players' cards are more than 3 standard deviations from their expected means.

This is way beyond my abilities but it seems like something that could be done.
tkkjlsoup

Postby Jimmy_C » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:31 pm

[quote:f55343b083]I have been very skeptical of the new "Hal" logic Bernieh applied to the 80's game over the summer. I have seen some very 'unusual' results in just about every league I have been in since the new logic took over.[/quote:f55343b083]
Same here. Since the "upgrade" I have dropped more batters who are HAMMERING the ball but injury reveales their worst year than ever before.

[quote:f55343b083]Did you see the post in the ATG forum about Nellie Fox?

He hit a BP-HR vs. a LHP, which shouldn't happen, as he had a "W" power rating.

Strange stuff going on in TSN. Makes me wonder about the whole "injury reveal" deal.[/quote:f55343b083]
Remy had a homerun in the 70's vs LHP which we could only atribute to an in-the-park homerun off a triple in the 70's. I'm going to be a little PO'd if the injury's have been tinkered with without notification...
Jimmy_C

Postby Panzer ace » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Well the cards posted from this season. Comer came out to have his 81 card. M.Young his 87 card (set to 'dont bunt' as confirmed by the other manager).
So the result should have been a fly out to LF. How did a ground out occur? Is this is a 'glitch'? Did Hal have Young bunt?
TSN has never responded to my e-mail. Does this bother anyone else?
Panzer ace

Postby TomP » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:56 pm

I'd bet a bunt occurred. In the CD game, HAL does override player settings. The CD help file states "the computer manager must sometimes override these guidelines due to player overusage and other concerns.".

Also, do you know the opposing managers team-wide settings? An aggressive team bunt setting might cause Young to bunt despite an individual don't bunt setting.
TomP

Postby phillyhemp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:04 pm

I've been saying this for months, ever since Polonia had 3 HRs for me and I knew his year was the W zero HR on card. People kept justifying it as 3 inside the park HRs, but I didn't think so. Then again, I don't know all the SA rules. Anyway, I agree with Panzer. There could be a gltch out there.
phillyhemp

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s