Something is fishy

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby tkkjlsoup » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:43 pm

[quote:f3fc482621="LMBombers"]I've seen some guys put into a lineup vs LHP in game 1 and NOT be used vs a LHP in game 2.[/quote:f3fc482621]

In my experience one reason this can happen when one opposing LHP has more HRs on his card than the other opposing LHP. If that is the case, HAL will favor a hitter with N power even if there is a "better" hitter who has W power against the LHP who has more HRs.

LMB is correct, of course -- there are a lot more variables that go into HAL's decisions than people think. I have decided that some HAL decisions have sufficient reliability for me to act on, but even then I might misunderstand a determinant variable and make a bad lineup move.
tkkjlsoup

Postby voovits » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:16 am

[quote:a26c8f708c="tkkjlsoup"]
there are a lot more variables that go into HAL's decisions than people think. I have decided that some HAL decisions have sufficient reliability for me to act on, but even then I might misunderstand a determinant variable and make a bad lineup move.[/quote:a26c8f708c]

Very well said.

There is no such thing as sitting back and letting HAL do all the work. You still have decisions to make and work to do to make a good team. HALs decisions is just one of the many tools you have available to you. Relying solely on HAL would be foolish and will doom you to last place.
voovits

Postby cslaw3239 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:39 pm

On this topic, has anyone tried picking part of your lineup and letting HAL pick the rest with any success? There are certain guys I know I want to play everyday in certain lineup spots, but maybe more could be revealed by leaving 2-4 spots open
cslaw3239

Postby voovits » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:37 pm

It only really works for me if you leave every slot below the ones in question open.
For example, you manually fill in slots 1-4, leaving 5-9 empty.
I find that if you leave, for instance lineup lots 4, 7 and 9 open, HAL will just insert players into those slots and not readjust based on ability.
If you leave 5-9 empty, HAL will insert the guys in those slots and rearrange them based on his logic (Only the 5-9 guys, he won't mess with the order if the 1-4 guys).
voovits

Here's my guess

Postby ths92110 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:00 pm

I agree that HAL has a code by which he creates the lineup. I also believe its based at least in part on matching the balance on the pitcher's card up with the balance on the batter's card, to achieve the greatest possible spread. Thus for instance, when creating a lineup against a RH pitcher with a 3R balance, HAL, for any given position, will play the LH who has the largest tilt against RH pitching. The code must go something like this:

1. "If SP = RH with #R balance, then choose LH with >#R balance".
2. "If SP = LH with #L balance, then choose RH with >#L balance".

Unfortunately its difficult to figure out how the code goes after this, and I'm not smart enough to do it. In other words, what does the code instruct HAL to do when the "balance equation" between the batter and the pitcher is not straightforward, such as when your starting a RH with 3L balance???

3. "If SP = RH with [b:550b7e27c6]#L[/b:550b7e27c6] balance, then _______ what????? "Play RH or LH player with >#R"??????

The problem this creates -- and the main reason I think you can't blindly place your trust in HAL when trying to determine what year you have -- is that the code puts to much weight on the balance equation and not enough on other factors like BA, OBP and Slugging. Thus HAL will leave guys in their best years on the bench in favor of the more favorable L/R matchup. I also believe HAL's lineup code takes a player's defensive rating into account and, somehow, tries to pick the best guy at any position irrespective of whether he's in his best hitting year or not. Thus again you can't rely solely on HAL to determine whether a guys in his best year or not.

Tom

PS. If anyone, or a group of you care to pool forces to (1) create, and then (2) test a "HAL Lineup Code Hypothesis", I'd be all for it. The drawback is that we'd eventually figure it out . . . . . .
ths92110

Postby chess2899 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Send me $24.95 and I'll send you the code, Tom! 8-)
chess2899

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s