Odd injury-Still unanswered

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby Panzer ace » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 pm

I thought this thread was similar to what happened to Echo22. Glitch? Hal bunting in a REALLY bad spot? Wrong dice roll? None of the options are good.
Panzer ace

Possible answer

Postby voovits » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:56 pm

This is a bit far fetched, but it's something that should be considered.
According to http://somonline.bluwiki.com/go/Maximum_Rules the maximum rule "Improve out distribution" is in effect.
According to the CDROM help file:
"This option overrides some of the default outs assigned by the board game for a more realistic distribution of outs. For example, ballpark chart outs can become fly outs, pop outs, ground outs, etc. instead of just lineouts. This option also causes foul outs to be distributed amongst other players including second baseman and short stops."

It uses ballpark chart outs as an example, it does not say it would not turn a regular roll into a different out.

At the time of the injury, there had been 6 flyouts (2 of them being sac flies) and 4 groundouts.
Again, it's a stretch, but perhaps HAL turned a meaningless out (as there were no baserunners) from a flyout to a groundout in order to help level the flyout to groundout ratio.
voovits

Postby voovits » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:01 pm

well scratch that idea. I did the math up to the wrong injury. I think there had been more groundouts than flyouts by the home team at the time of injury, unless HAL includes lineouts and popouts as part of the flyout category.
Its still an idea to toss around though. HAL may factor the flyout to groundout ratio for the entire season with that team when deciding what to do, and I'm not about to go digging into the teams past boxscores.
voovits

Postby tkkjlsoup » Sat May 15, 2010 3:28 pm

bump
tkkjlsoup

Postby gutter huggers » Sat May 22, 2010 2:13 am

I think "don't bunt," is not the same as "never bunt."

Just as, remove after 6 Ip, sometimes gives the pitcher a 7th IP.

Hal may be just setting it as the third leg of the standard deviation, so that, a possibility of the bunt, or keeping a pitcher in for another IP, is about 100-1. Could happen. That's not a glitch, it's keeping a human element in the game.

Maybe they crossed up signs, or the guy was feuding with the manager, or just really wants to lay down the bunt.

It introduces a Human element to the game. My advice is, don't worry about it too much, we all deal with the same thing. The playing field is even.

It looks like Hal, doesn't see, "don't, as never." So, once in a year or two, the guy bunts to get on base, as the leadoff hitter. The odds on that aren't terrible, and rarely cost a game. It did cost an injury reveal. But that doesn't hurt the season. Signals get mixed up, mistakes happen, That's Baseball.

Hey, your only the owner, not the hitter. You can issue the orders, it doesn't garuantee the manager, or the hitter will obey.

Hal is pretty consistent, and don't never means never... Hal has his own philosophy of life, and that is why we call him Hal.

If the guy had laid down the bunt, for a single, you'd never know. And that may have happened at some other time. The odds were only about 100-1, so - you never know.

Good Luck.
gutter huggers

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s