CF Eric Davis: Injury prone?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

CF Eric Davis: Injury prone?

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Howdy,

This is my first 80s team. I chose CF Eric Davis based on his numbers. He went down with a 6 game injury in our first game. Judging by several posts here in the forum, one gets the impression that Eric Davis is injury prone. Is he?

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Yes

Postby roofinghorse » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:26 pm

But if you can handle it, he can be quiet an offensive force. Definitely have a decent replacement( if in defense only) ready to fill in. He,s been known to miss a lot of games ranging from 3-15 games or you could get lucky and miss only them 6 games. I,ve had him play as many as 159 games with tremendous #s...
Do you know what card was revealed?
roofinghorse

Postby Jimmy_C » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Here's '87 Davis with a MONSTER 1.031 OPS in...really...no kidding...619 At-Bats!! That might be some kind of record AB's for Eric.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/80s/team/team_other.html?user_id=128580

If your lucky and he stays healthy, you will love having him on your team.
Jimmy_C

Card revealed?

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:28 pm

Howdy,

Crossingroads: Is there a way to find out what card Eric Davis is having?

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Re: Card revealed?

Postby roofinghorse » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 pm

[quote:789e24a7fd="Larryrickenbacker"]Howdy,

Crossingroads: Is there a way to find out what card Eric Davis is having?

Larry[/quote:789e24a7fd]

It may help in determining what card you got or eliminate some others.
First look at the pitcher he was facing when he got injured.(LH or RH )
Then look at Davis' card and look down at his possible injuries vs. that type of pitcher.
Say it was a ground ball vs. a RH then it definitely is his 90 card. Now if it was a LO vs. a RH then it will be 1 of 2 years, 87 or 88. And so on. Like I said, it can show an exact year or narrow it down by eliminating other years...
There,s a post about injuries I,ll look up about certain other clues to what years other players cards could be(or are). When I find it I,ll post it here to give you some of our SOM players tips.
Good luck with Eric the Red.

Slug
roofinghorse

Postby Jimmy_C » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Hey Slug...it's your pick in the live draft...
Jimmy_C

Maybe this can help to start.

Postby roofinghorse » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Tips for figuring out which card you have

1. Injury
2. Rare events (HBP, triples)
3. Splits and Ratios

Injury - this is probably the best indicator. If your batter is injured, look at the play by play of that game. Note what happened when he was injured and the handedness of pitcher.

Most injuries are "Lineout max plus injury" on the batter's card but not always. Let's say the play by play of your game said he was HBP and then injured and that happen while he was facing a LHP. Go through each season of your batter and if there is only 1 season where there is a HBP plus injury against LHP... Bingo. You now know exactly what season you have.

Pitchers can get injured only when they are facing the opposing DH and the roll is 6-12 ("the devil's roll" for the three 6's). So, when your pitcher is injured, check out what hand the DH was batting with. If your pitcher was injured when the DH was struckout, look at the handedness of the DH and look for the strikeout at 6-12 on your pitcher's card.

Sometimes you can narrow it down to a couple of seasons. That's also helpful.
I know there are other tips too but then again, I will have to look them up as well.
roofinghorse

Thanks Jimmy

Postby roofinghorse » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Here,s a more complete way of figuring out an injury from a very good manager......
LMBombers
MVP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hitters with 600 PA (AB + walks) or pitchers that had 200+ IP can only be injured for up to 3 games. So if you see an injury for 4 or more games you know the card you have for that player is less than 600 PA or 200 IP.

If a player gets an injury look to see what play the injury occured on. Lets say you see that it was on a HBP. You then determine if the hitter was facing a LH or RH pitcher. You then scroll through all 5 possible cards vs that type of pitcher to see which ones have the injury roll on a HBP. Sometimes this narrows it down to only 1 possible card. Other times it only narrows it down to 2 or 3 cards. Record this information somewhere. Maybe next time that hitter is injured vs the other handed pitcher and you can figure it out then.

In a DH league a pitcher gets injured when a 6-12 is rolled when facing the other team's DH. Look to see if the DH was batting LH or RH then go to your pitcher's card and look at the 12 roll in the 6 column for that type of hitter and see which cards you can elliminate as possibilities.

In a no DH league you cannot determine pitcher injuries (except for the length of injury if that helps) as the injuries occur from the pitcher's hitting card which is the same card used for all possible cards.
roofinghorse

LO vs. Lefty pitcher

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:41 am

Howdy,

Davis lined out vs. Jimmy Key. Does this mean he's having his '86 card? If so, it means a ton of stolen bases.

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Hey Larry

Postby roofinghorse » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:20 am

LO vs. a LHP eliminates his 89(gb) and 90(gb) years. It could be any 1 of the 3 other years though since all 3 have this injury.( Which are pretty solid I,d say.) Now if his next injury is a SO vs. a RHP then you definitely have his 86 season because its the only card that shows these paticular injuries vs. these type pitchers. But it will take both to be sure.

Stolen bases are relative to a lot of factors though.
( catcher throwing rating, pitchers hold rating, ect.)
Mostly because you,re up against the better half of any given season.I mean, you won,t see a weak throwing catcher playing nearly as much unless he is on one of his better cards. B. Schroeder comes to mind.Plus your individual settings.

So over the course of the season you,re gonna see the better half of player cards vs. the weaker cards/players being dropped.
Hope this doesn,t sound too confusing Larry and hopefully he doesn,t get injured again. LOL

Slug
roofinghorse

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s