Hank Aaron

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Hank Aaron

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Howdy,

After 113 ABs Jeff Burroughs was hitting just .195 and his OBP was around .298, so I replaced him with Henry Aaron. I'm a bit nervous about Aaron's chances of injury, as well as getting his worst card.
How have ya'll done with Hammerin' Hank?

Larry

PS: BTW, I play in Oakland
Larryrickenbacker

Postby LMBombers » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Burroughs and Aaron are power hitters in a pitcher's park. This will hurt their production. Players like Garr and Carew would be better picks for Oakland. In a real team theme league I had Oakland and Reggie was miserable. Big HR guys are not worth their salary in Oakland.
LMBombers

Thanks for the suggestions

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Howdy,

LMBombers: Carew and Garr aren't available. Murcer is a high OBP guy. Are you suggesting high OBP for Oakland position players? BTW, I based my decision to acquire Aaron based partly on his #1 ranking at his position in the Stat Pak listing on the sticky.
Of course those numbers are probably skewed, since few gamers would keep an Aaron in his worst year, right?

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 am

Larry,
Read the thread I did about D Allen on his best card (1972) playing in Ful Co vs what he did in Royals. It might show you the effects a park can have.

One thing about Aaron is that he does have a decent amount of natural HRs (non-BP related) compared to most other guys. What are the other parks in your div? Aaron may or may not be a blessing. Also see if J Cruz is available. He's a guy with low inj, good BA and OBP, some power, good doubles, good D, and real good speed/SB.
JONCHUCKERY

Thanks

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Howdy,

Decided to dump Aaron and Tiant for Jim Hunter and the always steady (if unspectacular) Steve Kemp. As for other parks in my division, I know Busch and Fulton but cannot recall the other.

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s