Question about how HAL uses relivers

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Question about how HAL uses relivers

Postby The Conndor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 pm

I had Don Carman in my bullpen to start a season, 1 of 6 relievers. At first HAL started using him earlly and often, and bringing him in sometimes against righties instead of lefties, so I'm thinking great, it's his 86 card. Then, HAL still kept using him a lot, but now bringing him in against anyone... and Carman got shelled by everyone, more like his 89 card.

So here's the question: is HAL more likely to use a reliever only because he has a "good" card... or was it because Carman has a lot of IP in both 86 and 89, and HAL was simulating the fact that Carman pitched more in those 2 years by using him more, even if he stunk in 89? If I remember right, Carman was a part-time starter in at least 1 of those 2 years, so he has a lot more IP than the average reliever. So, would HAL consequently use twice as much as, for example, Goose Gossage, if Carman had twice as many IP than Goose in their years? Or am I reading too much into this?

Thanks in advance.
The Conndor

Postby voovits » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 am

I have never noticed any patterns or reasoning behind HALs usage of the bullpen, I wouldn't read too much into it. It seems like its mostly random to me.
voovits

Postby YountFan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 am

HAL is not a good user of the BP. You need to find the good guys and then remove the restrictions on them so the pitch more. and add restrictions on the bad guys. But keep it simple. The more controls you set the worse HAL operates. I find the one good RP and free him up and set everyone else to quick hook an, 1 IP, and avoid their bad side. I tend not to use the setup/closer settings ever
YountFan

Postby AdamKatz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:57 am

What is the score when he is being brought in?

HAL does not have much faith in a team coming back from behind. Whichever pitcher he brings in when your team is loing is probably one of your worst pitchers. OR it could be your best pitcher. Except in extreme examples, you have to wait to see some stats accumulate.
AdamKatz

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s