Pre-waiver draft 70's team advice

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Pre-waiver draft 70's team advice

Postby The Conndor » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 pm

I am awaiting waivers in my 70s league, which will be in 24 hours, but because I will be working all day tomorrow, I need to set my claims tonight. I am 11th in priority. I decided to put a team in a pitchers' park (Candlestick) and get as many 1's as I could starting on defense. It went fairly well: INF of George Scott, Joe Morgan, Larry Bowa, Aurelio Rodriguez, and Jim Sundberg catching. The problem is CF, where I ended up with Buddy Bradford (who I dropped already) and Manny Mota, who I like offensively but not in CF. I also have Singleton, Oglivie, and Zisk, 3 somewhat similar players for corner OF/DH, so I couldn't play all 3 of them and Mota too. Any ideas on which direction I should head on filling the CF void and who (if anyone) I should drop or offer in trade? Dusty Baker, Garry Maddox, Paul Blair, Dwight Evans are among FA possibilities: I want either a 1 or 2 in CF. I would also like to keep all 1s in the INF, with Rodriguez the guy I would be most willing to sacrifice (Brooks Robinson is FA, but I consider CF a bigger priority to spend $ on at this point). Thanks in advance:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=90826

My division also has Fulton County, Riverfront, and Comiskey
The Conndor

Postby LMBombers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Well there are only five 1 rated 3B in the 70s game. Of those five there is only one good player and that is Mike Schmidt. ARod is not worth keeping IMO. Sacrifice there and go with a 2. Not counting George Brett.....Buddy Bell should be ideal for the stick. If you want to stay inexpensive you might look at Tony Taylor or Enos Cabell (both 3's) but if you are stuck on having a 1 then it is either ARod or Reitz, neither of which will add anything offensively.

If you don't mind a 4 in a corner OF spot I would keep both Singleton and Oglivie putting one at DH.

Baker is good if you have the money. There are many other good CF for Candlestick including: Maddox (who you already mentioned), Murcer, North, McBride and Alou. I also like Hendrick for your park.
LMBombers

Postby hallerose » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:31 pm

I would keep Singleton as DH. You really need 3 new OFs, Baker is good in CF, also see if Ken Henderson is available. 1b and 3b probably should be upgraded (Scott and Aurielo really aren't top 20 players at those positions). You also need to figure out your rotation (don't mix and match 4 and 5 day starters) -- probably go with 4 day starters, which means you need 3 new starters to go with Catfish and then .75 for 5th starter (use money to upgrade). You don't need to spend 1.7M on Maz with Morgan, so use that $$ to upgrade elsewhere.
hallerose

Postby wesleyeugeneclark » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:29 pm

I would dump Maz as he is really dead money with Morgan on your team. I would upgrade Lopez. He is great defensively but a black hole on offense. I have used Toby Harrah at 3rd with some success in the past. On the CF question, I have always had good luck with North and Matty Alou. Also Scott will lose all the ballpark homeruns in Candlestick. Just my .2 cents
wesleyeugeneclark

Postby bark123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 pm

[quote:c55a1be173="LMBombers"] Buddy Bell should be ideal for the stick.... I also like Hendrick for your park.[/quote:c55a1be173]

Why?
bark123

Postby The Conndor » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Got Baker in waivers, dumped Mazeroski to free cap space for him. Have been offering Zisk and Oglivie around, no takers. I'm inclined to give Oglivie a shot just because I have almost no other lefty hitting in my lineup, and there usually isn't much available. Points taken about Scott and ARod... depending on who I pick up at 3rd, may keep ARod as defensive sub. Ken Henderson I have never tried, will look for him.

I'm curious about something though... what are the negatives about mixing 4 and 5 day starters? I actually did that on purpose, figuring I would have 1 horse, and also figuring that with Morgan it would be very difficult to find 4 adequate 4 day starters for the money. I never have mixed before, but I have seen many others do it... why not?

As always, thanks for all of the input and advice, you all rock.
The Conndor

Postby The Conndor » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 pm

I would upgrade Lopez. He is great defensively but a black hole on offense

I am assuming that you got your Aurelios confused and meant Aurelio Rodriguez instead of Lopez? 8-)
The Conndor

Postby LMBombers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:30 am

[quote:d9790d8aff="alifarka"][quote:d9790d8aff="LMBombers"] Buddy Bell should be ideal for the stick.... I also like Hendrick for your park.[/quote:d9790d8aff]

Why?[/quote:d9790d8aff]

Both are good in low BPHR parks IMO.
LMBombers

Postby bark123 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm

[quote:2213ca4653="LMBombers"][quote:2213ca4653="alifarka"][quote:2213ca4653="LMBombers"] Buddy Bell should be ideal for the stick.... I also like Hendrick for your park.[/quote:2213ca4653]

Why?[/quote:2213ca4653]

Both are good in low BPHR parks IMO.[/quote:2213ca4653]

I realize that's what you think. I'm asking aboout your reasoning. Bell and Hendrick will hit less HRs in a low BPHR park- as would every other hitter. Your notion that those two guys are somehow more suited to a low BPHR parks seems pretty arbitrary.
bark123

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s