bargains or busts

Our historical single season sets

bargains or busts

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:00 am

I am not quite sure who all the bargains in the 1986 set, but I can surely tell you the anti-bargains(ripoffs). The two biggest ripoffs in the 1986 set are;.............(drum roll please) Joel Youngblood, and Lee Mazalli . These guys are not worth half a million dollars, let alone almost 5 MILLION.

Does anyone else have any bargains, or anti-bargains? Let's make list.
RICHARDMILTER

Postby LMBombers » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:31 am

I think both Roenicke's are busts. They are similar to Mazilli in that they are priced high for simply lots of walks. Dwight Evans has never been worth the money in TSN/SOM in any game IMO. I don't like him in the 70's, 80's or 1986. Dennis Rasmussen is another 1986 player I don't think is worth the $$. I have not had much luck with Mike Davis or Dave Parker but maybe it is just me.

My bargains include Clemens, Mike Scott, Youmans, Tabler and Chris Brown. If you can't get Fernandez, Smith, Brooks, Trammell, Griffin or Ripken I think going with Templeton, Guillen or Uribe at SS is a bargain. SS is the biggest position scarcity in 1986 to me and I think if you miss out on the big guns then go cheap for defense and spend your cap room elsewhere.

Cangelosi is a nice backup OF for under a buck that can get on base and run, run, run.

These players come to mind quickly. I'm sure there are other bargains and busts. It is good talk 1986. :)
LMBombers

Postby apolivka » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I've actually had decent luck with Mazilli platooning vs. rightys on a couple of my free teams. Scores a ton of runs, but is a real liability in the field. Set him to not steal because he gets caught or picked off a lot, but he is an OBP machine and a real good lead off hitter.

I play mostly in pitcher's parks for this set. Some of my favorite value players are guys like Otis Nixon, John Canjelosi, Eric King, Tim Laudner, Floyd Youmans, Mark Clear, Pat Perry, Tom Lawless, Pat Tabler. I've gotten good, consistent performances out of Phil Bradley, Kirby Puckett, Steve Sax, Tommy John and John Henry Johnson.

Guys that always seem over priced to me are Frank White, Julio Franco, Dan Pasqua, Bob Knepper and Mike Scioscia.

This is a super fun set to play. I think it is probably the most fun single season set to play here. Unfortunately, I think all the free teams might have diluted the interest in this great set, but I do hope it picks up.
apolivka

Postby Jake Squid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:22 pm

Youngblood is worthwhile playing LF against RHP only. The thing is, there are other, better values so I've only used him in a live draft league.

Values? Jeff Russell, Traber, Balboni, Larry Parrish, Z. Smith, Guillen, Cory Snyder, Matt Young, Aase.

I agree w/ LMBombers about SS. Other than the cheapies, I find only Brooks to be worth the money. Schofield is fine in a hitters park, but has never worked for me otherwise. I've done well with both Guillen and Owen. Obviously I prefer Guillen's defense, but Owen isn't a bad fall back.

There is no reason to spend the lions share of your budget on 1B. A Traber/Balboni platoon will get you similar production to Mattingly. I've never gotten less than 40 HRs out of it (that includes playing at Busch) & I often have over 120 RBIs. The defense just doesn't matter that much at 1B.

I've found that getting most of my offense out of the OF & DH works really well for me. And there are a ton of options in the OF, so it's worked w/ a number of different combinations.

The worst anti-bargain players I've had have been Downing, Cliff Johnson & Gary Carter.
Jake Squid

Postby Delbird » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Along these lines, any recommendations out there for who the best value starting pitchers are in a hitters part in the '86 set? Maybe the least BPHR combinations with good numbers elsewhere (high strikeouts, low whip). Can anyone name me a 5 man rotation for a hitters park that they believe would be a success?
Delbird

Postby Jake Squid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:13 pm

I've done well w/ Welch, Cox, McGaffigan, Sebra, Schrom/Z.Smith at Wrigley.

I've done well w/ DeLeon, Ryan, Sebra, Power, Z.Smith at the Kingdome.

Wrigley was an 89 win team & Kingdome won 92.
Jake Squid

Postby Delbird » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:02 pm

[quote:67c45c0815="Jake Squid"]Wrigley was an 89 win team & [b:67c45c0815]Kingdome won 92[/b:67c45c0815].[/quote:67c45c0815]

I'd be curious to see the Kingdome team if you have a link.
Delbird

92 win Kingdome team

Postby Jake Squid » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Here's that team for you, Delbird:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=120852
Jake Squid

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am

The starting pitching is so much better,... and deep then today's leagues.

At SS give me Julio Franco, he is a bargain at his price and position,...at least for the 1986 season.
RICHARDMILTER

Re: 92 win Kingdome team

Postby apolivka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 am

[quote:f995c3429a="Jake Squid"]Here's that team for you, Delbird:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=120852[/quote:f995c3429a]

Jake,

How many stolen bases did that team give up? I really like DeLeon and Ryan at a hitters park too, but your whole staff must have allowed a ton of steals. Looks like you were running about 4 platoons and won 92 games. I think 86 has some really great platoons--much more than most other sets.

It would have been fun to see the Flavonoids play the Starheads in a seven games series.
apolivka

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999