3. astros ldanred
4. ChiSox -franky35
5. Angels - Risden (I may change later)
6. Senators - Rick Smith - OH
7. Dodgers - gfdwarf07
GFDWARF07

Postby kenhutchings » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:04 pm

[quote:96c71ab8a1="gfdwarf07"]
Do you think you might have trouble filling the last few teams (even though they would benefit more from the "stimulus")? Can't see someone volunteering for the Padres?

I'll take a closer look too to see if any other appeal to me.[/quote:96c71ab8a1]

One of the reasons that I am willing to accept a random assignment is for the challenge of trying to make a contender out of the lower payroll teams. That is also the reason why I indicated that roster sizes are flexible; although you need to have 20 Padres on your roster, you can acquire as many additional non-stimulus players as allowed, so long as you remain within the payroll guidelines.

Managing one of the lower payroll teams is also an opportunity of using players that most of the 1969 managers have had little, if any, experience with (I realize that there is a compelling reason for that, of course). :) :)
kenhutchings

Postby GFDWARF07 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:11 pm

I appreciate that Ken - and kudos to you for giving that a try.

Would still be fun to either draft franchises or assign all 12 randomly in my mind. At least then it's more a function of which team you might like to try managing vs. which were available when you signed-up.

Thanks,
Dan
GFDWARF07

Postby LMBombers » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:49 am

gfdwarf07, you had 6 teams to choose from when you signed up. If all teams would be assigned randomly you would have had no choice at all. How is that "more a function of which team you might like to try managing"?
LMBombers

Postby GFDWARF07 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:01 am

Gimme a break LMB - I didn't say I was using good logic! :lol: That statement referred to the draft scenario - thought that was obvious. Just a good way to level the field.

In truth I wanted to manage Washington and I was bummed that Rick nabbed them just before me. I have never fared well in our randomizers so would have probably ended up with San Diego anyway in my scenario :oops:

Rick - I'll trade you LA and "future considerations" for the Senators. :)

Hope we can fill - it looks like a fun concept.
GFDWARF07

Postby LMBombers » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:44 am

Even SD will have a good team. The 20 "best" Padres salaries comes to 34.63M which leaves you another 30M to grab some of the best FA players in the 1969 game. I really don't think that team will be hurting too much. The below team is possible by taking the SD Padres and would win lots of games in a 65M league like this one.

Possible SD lineup
C - Cannizarro
1B - Colbert
2B - Dick Green - FA
SS - Belanger - FA
3B - Spiezio/Rico Joseph - FA
LF - Ferrera
CF - Paul Blair - FA
RF - Ollie Brown

Rotation
Joe Niekro
Kelley
Santorini
Kirby
Podres (what a great name for being a Padre)

RP
Perranoski - FA
Dick Hall - FA
Ross
Rebarger
McCool
Last edited by LMBombers on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMBombers

Postby Rick Smith » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:53 am

One advantage of taking San Diego is that because they have the lowest payroll you would get the first draft pick. That is a very good idea it kind of evens things out.

I figured if I took the Dodgers I would use by extra picks to get hitting. Then I figured if I took the Senators I would use by extra picks to get pitching. I think it is easier to get pitching than hitting. Also I like RFK Stadium more than Dodger Stadium.

Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Postby GFDWARF07 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Good to go with LA

Now let's fill 'er up!
GFDWARF07

Possible Modifications...

Postby kenhutchings » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm not necessarily throwing in the towel on the original concept, but because it seems that those who have joined the league thus far seem to prefer choosing their own teams as opposed to having a random assignment, an idea that came to mind was to include the next four lowest payroll teams, which are as follows (Oakland - 14 P, 15 H $60.72,
Boston - 11 P, 14 H $60.84, N.Y. Yankees - 9 P, 16 H $63.61, and St. Louis - 9 P, 16 H $65.96).

I know that Boston, the Yanks, and St. Louis all have their loyal fan bases, and I can imagine that there would be individuals, including some who have already signed up, who'd probably prefer to select those teams. The St. Louis team already starts out slightly over $65 M; they would have to release one or two of their hitters and acquire another starting pitcher.

I would appreciate feedback for this suggestion. It might help the league to fill up faster. If we do this, then whatever twelve teams are not used would then become the non-stimulus teams that free agents would be selected from.
kenhutchings

Re: Possible Modifications...

Postby Risden » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 pm

[quote:88b46345b0="kenhutchings"]I'm not necessarily throwing in the towel on the original concept, but because it seems that those who have joined the league thus far seem to prefer choosing their own teams as opposed to having a random assignment, an idea that came to mind was to include the next four lowest payroll teams, which are as follows (Oakland - 14 P, 15 H $60.72,
Boston - 11 P, 14 H $60.84, N.Y. Yankees - 9 P, 16 H $63.61, and St. Louis - 9 P, 16 H $65.96).

I know that Boston, the Yanks, and St. Louis all have their loyal fan bases, and I can imagine that there would be individuals, including some who have already signed up, who'd probably prefer to select those teams. The St. Louis team already starts out slightly over $65 M; they would have to release one or two of their hitters and acquire another starting pitcher.

I would appreciate feedback for this suggestion. It might help the league to fill up faster. If we do this, then whatever twelve teams are not used would then become the non-stimulus teams that free agents would be selected from.[/quote:88b46345b0]

Ken - I think opening it up to include a few additional teams is a good idea. They still need to come within the $65 Mill payroll, so I do noit see much advantage to allowing a "better" team(s).

It might be a bit difficult to fill the league based on the original concept with owners hand-picking their own teams.

Any comments from other owners?
Risden

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999