'69 DD Live Draft Done...and Away We Go!!!!

Our historical single season sets

Postby KEVINEHLE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 am

[quote:8647bb64b1="gfdwarf07"]Sorry guys, just tried again and saw I was up - had tried several times when the system was down to no avail. The clock says I took six hours to pick, but it had not been more than a couple hours since I checked. Anyway, we are off and running again.

And I wuz robbed on the Tovar pick, I was very confident he'd be there and was my only proxy when he went right before my pick. Even though he underachieved for me in the last league, he is a great and versatile pick. I was just watching a DVD of the Twins- Red Sox game at the end of the 1967 season (2nd to last of the season). One of the oldest (if not the oldest) full game broadcast in color from that era. Anyway Tovar is such a tiny guy, but fun to watch. And Killebrew was a HORSE! The following year (1968), Tovar played all nine positions as part of a promotion at Met stadium and struck out Reggie in the first inning! Look up the box score, it's kind of a kick.[/quote:8647bb64b1]

Living here in Minnesota the last 4 years has opened my eyes to how much of a legend Killebrew was in this state. Even though Harmon was from my home state of Idaho, Minnesota has named roads after Killebrew, built statues, bolted a stadium seat in the Mall of America in remembrance to Harmon's longest HR. For those who don't know, the Mall of America sits on the land where Metropolitan Stadium once stood proudly in Bloomington. Anyway, that's why I grabbed Killebrew early in the draft. It's just good karma. Having the enigmatic Hawk Taylor and Mr. Killebrew in my lineup spells doom to the rest of you. :wink:

Kev
KEVINEHLE

Weekends..

Postby caimrisek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Ok...well...it looks like everyone wants the clock to run on the weekends...so...as you wish...normal time(s) still applies...

"Let's git 'R done boys!!!" :D
caimrisek

Re: Weekends..

Postby GFDWARF07 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:10 pm

[quote:b52e889ba7="caimrisek"]Ok...well...it looks like everyone wants the clock to run on the weekends...so...as you wish...normal time(s) still applies...

"Let's git 'R done boys!!!" :D[/quote:b52e889ba7]

Well said, Kevin, I didn't attend the memorial service for Harmon at Target field but watched with a lump in my throat the whole time. I remember going to one of my first games at Met stadium in 1972 and my friends dad insisting we wait until the 9th inning for Killebrew to bat, even though the Twins were down to Dick Allen and the Chisox 8-1. He came to the plate and hit a popup to SS about a mile high. That game was my first sight of him in person.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN197207310.shtml

That is the box score. I only discovered it in the last five years and ID'd the game by the time of year and the Killebrew note from the 9th. As a kid I didn't quite grasp that I was watching future 1969 strat legends at play - Ed Spiezio started at 3B, Dick Allen touched HOFer Bert Blyleven for two homers, Carlos May, Rich Reese, Killer, Tovar, Alvarado (2H, 2R, probably one of his best days), Pat Kelly, Buddy Bradford, etc.

And it also strikes me now how much the Twins' roster had changed in 2-3 short years since the great teams of '69 and '70 that were destroyed by Baltimore in the first two ALCS ever. I remember watching them back then, but this was my first game live.
Last edited by GFDWARF07 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GFDWARF07

Postby GFDWARF07 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Woops, I meant to quote Kevin's piece on Killebrew.... :oops:
GFDWARF07

Postby KEVINEHLE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Hey GF, that is a cool game recap on that link. You are right, the Twins team did change a lot in a couple of years. Not for the good either. I think there are a couple other Minnesotans on these boards who might have great memories like yours. I'm pretty sure kaviksdad is in the Twin Cities along with another guy that I just can't think of right now.

Kev
KEVINEHLE

Postby GFDWARF07 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 pm

[quote:84eef41e99="ehlekev"]Hey GF, that is a cool game recap on that link. You are right, the Twins team did change a lot in a couple of years. Not for the good either. I think there are a couple other Minnesotans on these boards who might have great memories like yours. I'm pretty sure kaviksdad is in the Twin Cities along with another guy that I just can't think of right now.

Kev[/quote:84eef41e99]

Don't forget that I'm your man if your wife ever gets those sweet tix to Target Field and you need a pal for the day!

Dan
GFDWARF07

Postby franky35 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:28 am

I'd like to return to the question of trading. Can I trade a player that I've drafted for another player drafted (or soon to be drafted) on another team? I'd like to trade while the draft is going on.

Also, do we need to wait on free agent moves til after the autodraft is completed? For example, I have drafted a couple players in the diamonddope draft that I no longer want. Can I wait til the diamond-dope-draft is completed and then not draft those 2 players and substitute in other undrafted players in their place? Or do I need to wait for waivers/free agency to make those moves?
franky35

Postby KEVINEHLE » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:44 am

[quote:e04ce68ceb="gfdwarf07"][quote:e04ce68ceb="ehlekev"]Hey GF, that is a cool game recap on that link. You are right, the Twins team did change a lot in a couple of years. Not for the good either. I think there are a couple other Minnesotans on these boards who might have great memories like yours. I'm pretty sure kaviksdad is in the Twin Cities along with another guy that I just can't think of right now.

Kev[/quote:e04ce68ceb]

Don't forget that I'm your man if your wife ever gets those sweet tix to Target Field and you need a pal for the day!

Dan[/quote:e04ce68ceb]

Dan, check your PM, there may be a couple good tickets to two Tigers-Twins games at the end of July. I'm hoping the Twins can battle back to .500 by then.
KEVINEHLE

Let the autodraft run and then all have same chance

Postby Rjnewman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:31 am

You can make adjustments under cap in normal way.
Rjnewman

Re: Let the autodraft run and then all have same chance

Postby caimrisek » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:08 am

[quote:f08f54eda3="Rjnewman"]You can make adjustments under cap in normal way.[/quote:f08f54eda3]

I second that...it wouldn't be fair to the rest of us if you were to be able to either drop unwanted players you have already drafted now, during the draft, or later, before the autodraft. The reason for this is because everyone's strategy changes after each pick. If, however, you accidentally hit the wrong button, or drafted the wrong player (say at the end of the draft when you need your 2nd catcher, you draft a RP that can't fit on your draft card) the pick can be dropped (with approval) and remade.

As far as trading goes...if you can work something out with someone for their next pick "behind the scenes" go for it...but it will not "officially" take effect until after the auto-draft.

So...that brings up another question...of which I did not cover in my initial post for the league... Since we are drafting our entire roster [i:f08f54eda3]before[/i:f08f54eda3] the autodraft...should we still have a waiver period or should we just do a frenzy? Please, everyone, chime in on this matter and I will take the democratic solution. I will abstain from voting on this issue so there will be a majority....
caimrisek

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999