1969 AUCTION LEAGUE - CHAT ONLY

Our historical single season sets

Postby GFDWARF07 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Or another classic:

I got pulled over by a cop the other day. He said "did you know you were going 90 miles an hour"? I told him I wasn't going to be out that long.
GFDWARF07

Postby franky35 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Unofficial summary (remaining money):

RJNewman 6.3 mil; Bosman, Tatum, Petrocelli, Staub, Briles, Chuck Taylor, Santo, Gentry; Chance, Wynne, Harper, Colbert, Hunt, Drysdale, Dyer, Roland, Gibbon, Kaline, Fenway (7 hitters)
GGrover 9.1; Dilauro; McDowell, Millan, C Jones, Held, Bando, Messerschmidt, Carlton, Maroney, Francona, Drago, M Mota, Edmundson, Murcer, Hisle, T Aaron, Coleman (8 players, S)
Timboy 3.2; Jackson, Wynn, Bench, Mincher, Belanger, Sutton, Popovich, Hutton, Richert, Culp, Stottlemyre, Moose, Locker, T. Murphy, B Williams, R May, Beckert, Michael, W. Horton. J May, P Ward, Melton (3 players, S)
Gorshar 3.4: McCovey, Fregosi, Rose, G. Jackson, Veale, Jenkins, Perez, Reg Smith, Shamsky, Fernandez, Whitaker, Brewer, Knoop, D Ellis, McMahon, McDaniel, Jim Ray, Wilson, Walker, Tiger S, Hickman (5 players)
Sneezedoc 3.8; Marichal, F Peterson, Gelnar, Meyer, Singer, Tovar, Hamilton, Yankee S, Epstein, Dav Johnson, Northrup, Sims, Casanova, Brinkman, Flood, Carlos May, Bowens, Haller, Fairly, K Harrelson (6 players)
gdwarf 5.4; F Robinson, Kaat, Boswell, Dierker, Oliva, Carew, Osteen, Downing, Alomar, Buford, Mays, Hundley, Kubiak, McAndrew, Aguirre, Woodson, Scott, Schofield, Podres (6 H, S)
B Craig 3.4; Cuellar, Wilhelm, McLain, Timmerman, G. Perry, J Niekro, McAuliffe, Aparicio, H Aaron, Knowles, Upshaw, M Alou, Wood, Fiore, Carty, Mitterwald, Fuentes, T Horton, RFK, W Williams, Rojas, T Davis (5 players)
Risden 6.3; Palmer, Hands, Perranoski, Powell, P Niekro, Lee May, Blair, Kessinger, R Nelson, McGlothlen, Horlen, Callison, Javier, Corrales, Dalyrimple, Bunning, D Murphy, Pagan, Washburn, K Boswell (5 H), Wrigley
UGrant: Bonds, Yaz, Howard, Dietz, Odom, Morgan, Oyler, Bunker, Wise, Wegener, Watt, Lopez, Oliver, Kenney, Fulton C, McGinn, Merritt, Hicks, O Brown, Griffin, Pepitone, Dal Canton, Egan, De Johnson, B Robinson, E Hendricks
franky 2.8 Koosman, Gibson, Clemente, D Allen, N Ryan, R. White, Segui, Davenport, Kirkpatrick, Monday, Moses, Tom Hall, Rettenmund, Bud Harrelson, Campaneris, Granger, Neibauer, Bradford, Alley, Joseph, Shibe, Gladding, Hedlund Kelley
Allstars 3.5; Seaver, Hoerner, Hegan, Lolich, Lemaster, Green, R Reed, Menke, Wes Parker, Holtzman, Kilkenny, Reese, McMullen, Carl Taylor, Grote, Torre, N Cash. Mikkelson, Wills, Clarke, Brock, W Davis, Selma, Drabowsky, Anaheim
pot 6.1; Killebrew, Agee, Foy, Stargell, Freehan, Tolan, Maloney, Krause, Cardwell, Andrews, Cardenas, J Perry, D Hall, Stone, Rooker (7 hitters), Hunter, Oakland C, McNally, McCormick
Last edited by franky35 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 185 times in total.
franky35

I am a Lions Fan

Postby Rjnewman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Tickets and bags for our heads are free.
Rjnewman

Postby Sneezedoc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:47 pm

How about this Hedberg line:
I suppose if you understood Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.....He must then what yes .....STOP, you are driving me crazy

Or on TV fishing shows they catch fish but let them go: They don't want to eat them but they want to make them late for something.
Sneezedoc

Postby GFDWARF07 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:17 pm

[quote:ade470110b="Sneezedoc"]How about this Hedberg line:
I suppose if you understood Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.....He must then what yes .....STOP, you are driving me crazy

Or on TV fishing shows they catch fish but let them go: They don't want to eat them but they want to make them late for something.[/quote:ade470110b]

Or the thing about pepperidge farm bread being wrapped twice. You open it and it's still not open. I don't buy it. I don't need another step between me and toast...
GFDWARF07

Postby Sneezedoc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 am

Just a question to those of you have done this type of draft before, am I crazy or are the prices of the players signed out of sight? I mean a lot of the hitters are running 50% above face value (and some people are saying they got a good deal)! I mean if you spend 20% of your money on ONE player, how does that translate into success in these drafts (or does it)?
Sneeze
Sneezedoc

Postby franky35 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:07 pm

Due to the 100 mil cap, I think that it is natural for salaries to be 25% higher than face value. Plus, at the end of the draft a lot of players are going to go for well below face value. So, it seems that a 50% mark-up for the superstars is reasonable.
franky35

Postby GFDWARF07 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Good questions Sneeze. I think it's hard to compare to the drafts in ATG because there the player pool is so large. I was telling Risden that when I first went to 11.7 on Frank R I thought "that's my limit", but the more I looked at the list of stars available, I wanted to make sure I got a big stick early on, even if at 16.2. That and the price on Mccovey influenced me as well. So it will be interesting.

Maybe some of the '08 or '99 auction vets can chime in as the player pools are more comparable. In any case, I think it's a good position to have a chunk of your competition sinking 15-20% on a single player and there's a lot of talent coming up.

And did I mention we may increase the cap? :lol: (yes, a joke)
GFDWARF07

Postby gorshar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:57 pm

If you adjust for the higher bidding cap, the bidding here has been reasonably consistent with other auctions, including 2008, 1999.

Auctions seem to follow a predictable cycle, early bidding sees few players go for under value and some episodes of insanity will occur (Wynn, Bonds, maybe Aaron), followed by a gradual reduction in bidding levels. In the ATG auctions, players ultimately wind up going for 10-20% their value. The first 2008 auction is passing the mid-point and we're starting to see a lot of 40-60% sales and a few as low as 15-20%. In time the same thing will happen here.

In the 1999 auction ($80 mil to bid) which is still fairly early, probably the most insane sales were for Griffey (12.3 on an 8.15 card) and I-Rod (11.5 on a 7.6 card).

The thing to remember about these auctions is no high priced player will go unclaimed, it's just a matter of for how much or as the case may be later, how little.
gorshar

Postby franky35 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm going to put in my 2 cents on a few topics.

First, gfdwarf (Dan - got your name right this time I think). What do you mean telling Risden "I hope you make the series"? As you should know, my team is the Cubs (plus Bobby Bonds). How about getting some Cubs win, Cubs win, Cubs win enthusiasm going here?

Second, we're getting a lot a bid-free chit-chat on the bidding thread. If you're going to comment on the bidding thread, you got to make a bid.

Third, I don't necessarily think that we're going to see bargains at the mid-point. People will still have money and they could still bid up good players. I think it is pretty clear that McCovey and Jackson were bargains.

4th, I think Grover has made a mistake with both Bando and Held. I don't have a problem with the bids, but Held should play 3rd or left. Now he'll probably have to play SS or right. Either way, it won't be pretty.

5th, I wouldn't worry about Kaat at 4.4, he is undervalued.

Finally, the bidding on Killebrew got out of control. Probably it is a good thing Bob Marley doesn't have a card.
franky35

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999