Theme League: Another Man's Treasure: Draft Thread

Our historical single season sets

Postby franky35 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm

I remember Ferrara from the early 70s. He was an extraordinarily bad pinch hitter. My friends rooted for him to strike out so he wouldn't hit into a double play. But 1969 was his career year, such as it was. Still, 30 HR seems a bit much.

I really wanted to draft Alex Johnson, but Grover snatched him 1 pick ahead of me. I think he'll be great in this league. I getting Boog with my next pick and counting on him to carry my team offensively.

Steve Hargan was the last pitcher I wanted. I've got 5 pitcher slots to fill and the remaining pitchers are all in 2 categories: Pitchers I don't want, and Pitchers I really don't want.
franky35

My god the pitching is bad

Postby Rjnewman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Thought of taking Grote at catcher but decided pitching is so bad that his arm was worth much less than normal. Relief pitching is going to be so bad I am thinking of trying avoid lefty and righty button simultaneously. My SS 4 rating and rf e25 will add to the fun.[/u]
Rjnewman

is walt williams on list?

Postby Rjnewman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:39 pm

I dont see him.
Rjnewman

Postby franky35 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Walt Williams was not on the nominated list. Therefore, I should have excluded him. My mistake. If anyone sees a player available who is not on the list, please let me know ASAP and I'll exclude him.

Regarding Williams, I'm going to pm Greg and give him the choice of dropping him or keeping him. If he drops him, I'll exclude Williams. If not, we are going to have an extra player left at the end of the draft.
franky35

Postby GFDWARF07 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Why would we let Williams stay if he wasn't nominated? Just cause he was accidentally not excluded? Not a big deal, but I'd vote to stick to the originally stated method.

Just my two cents :?
GFDWARF07

Postby Sneezedoc » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Ditto to players being taken right before my pick. I wanted Ferrera and Jerry Johnson. I am anxious to see how Steve Comer does as an everyday player. Going with an interesting platoon of Rico Joseph and Bubba Morton.......Comer will switch between 3rd and left

Maybe someone wants to draft Walt Williams as their franchise player?? :roll:

Funny too, I went with a slightly better arm at catcher (Grote didn't fall to me) BECAUSE the pitching is so bad...I felt at least he wouldn't let all those walks and singles turn into doubles...interesting way to strategize
Sneezedoc

Postby franky35 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:33 am

Greg graciously agreed to drop Walt Williams and he is now excluded. Crisis averted.

I wanted Grote because of his arm. My pitchers give up tons of walks and I have good fielders at SS and 2nd, so I hope to get a lot of double plays.

It is looking like I'm going to have a competitive team right up until HAL calls on the bullpen. Then things are going to get ugly.

There are several medium-priced players like Comer and Rettenmund that almost never get to play a full season. We'll see how they do.
franky35

Postby GFDWARF07 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 am

Bubba Morton has done very good work for me as half of a platoon. I can never quite grasp Rettenmund's price tag - must be for his defensive flexibility? His bat is OK, but not commensurable with others in his price range.

I am curious about Comer too - I naturally like all the [i:0a815b56bd]Ball Four [/i:0a815b56bd]crowd, even Sal Maglie. "smoke 'em inside"
GFDWARF07

Postby AllStarInc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:32 pm

First off...thanks to Franky for this whole idea. There was some "push back" in the beginning but we've made it through and this looks like it should be a blast!

I don't know about you guys, but I prefer NOT to have a team of all superstars playing against all teams of superstars, where the free agent pool has superstars you can replace your superstars with...you get my point?

I love using the lesser guys and seeing what happens.

One of the first leagues I played in was with a great guy/player named Paul Wooten. It was a 70's league where nobody over $3m was eligible.

It was great to see these $1m guys dominate and pitchers who typically were terrible actually had value.

I really like my team so far...but that usually goes horribly wrong about three nights into the season and I have to try and find ways of fixing problems.

I've been trying to think about who (pitchers or hitters) has the advantages here other than the superstars, and I'm just not sure. Does bad pitching beat bad hitting?

The best part about all of the rules (in my opinion) is that every single one of THESE PLAYERS will be on SOMEBODY'S team! And making some sort of contribution, even if it's just 75 AB's or 35 IP!

Thanks again Franky for the very creative idea. You're the man! Maybe this can be a series/tournament?

I'm already looking forward to the "Trashing the 70's" league!
AllStarInc

Postby dlarkins » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:13 pm

sad commentary on my ususal picks is outside of second basemen my hitters aren't that differrent than I usually draft!

Still deciding between a top hitter and a 2b as my superstar pick
seems like even fewer thanusual; lefty pitcher who are even decent
dlarkins

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999