My strangest team ever?

Our historical single season sets

My strangest team ever?

Postby Assmeriten » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:58 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=189460

Went for an outfield of Canseco/Puckett/Barfield and got none of them.

Autodrafted Reynolds/Lynn/Evans

In waivers dropped Reynolds for Downing, Lynn for Moseby

Park: Kingdome

Other parks in division:
Olympic
Jack Murphy
Wrigley

Like my catcher combo? :shock:

Wonder how many innings Thigpen and Williams will get?
Can you say quick hook on my starting pitchers?
DH vs lefties in homerun park is Kingman
DH vs lefties in non homerun park is Royster

Brock is DH vs righties in any park

Still haven't decided on lineups at all
Assmeriten

Postby apolivka » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Yuck.

Have to say, I don't like this team. O'Brien, Downing, Doran, Fernandez, and Mosby are all bad Kingdome guys. I don't think you can have so many "unmatched" guys in your lineup and still win.

Your <$1M pitchers will get bombed and I don't think you can score enough with the guys you have.

Sheets would be better at 1B than O'Brien. Plus armed catchers can kill you in '86.

You need some power, and lots of it. If they don't have power, they should get on base _a lot_. See if guys like Brooks, Bryant, Balboni, Pasqua, Parrish, Gibson, Garvey, Traber, are still around. See if you can make some trades. Other teams could really use Pete and Tony.

Get one more decent reliever too. Not sure if a 6.2 million dollar reliever will pay off at the Kingdome either. Better to have three $3M guys with very few BPHRs. They'll pitch almost every game, so with only two decent guys, one of your losers is likely to pitch every game, and you don't want that!

Beware the "mop up" guy on team like this! Those starters might get knocked out of the box in the early innings a lot. You want an offense good enough to come back, so don't let a horrible mop up guy give those away!
apolivka

Postby Assmeriten » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm

I dropped Kingman and Perry for C. Martinez who also has 8 popints of bphr but gets on base lots more.
Assmeriten

Postby Assmeriten » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Made some more moves since Righetti was on the FA market and I missed out on him in the draft as the 3rd reliefer so dumped O'Brien to get him so now Martinez and Brock combo at 1b with Royster now being DH vs lefties and I added Dave Clark Five to be DH vs righties.

No low price defense replacements for either catcher or 1b out there. Hmm could pick up Hamiliton and use him at 3rd and move Schmidt to first for defense but don't think I will.
Assmeriten

Postby Assmeriten » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:07 pm

I usually don't like using a 3 in CF but I just sgned Householder who I might use in CF vs lefties.
Assmeriten

Postby apolivka » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:44 am

You've gotta play Schmidt at 3rd. Playing him at 1st will dilute his value quite a bit. I would make sure that you have a fair number of leftys in your division. Schmidt is a somewhat risky player if you face 70% right handed starters.

I like some of the moves you made. Still think a you could save some money with the high $$$ relievers. Having 3 relievers over 4.2M seems like a lot. Ideally, I'd have them more in the 2.75-3.25 range, but they gotta match your park. Rags does match your park.
apolivka

Postby Jake Squid » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Drop Brock. Traber & Balboni are both available and make a killer platoon combo at the Kingdome. Traber/Balboni will provide 40+ homers & 110+ RBIs.

Get rid of Downing. I've seen that card do well in exactly one league. He's not worth the $$$. Pick up Daniels or Baines to be your DH. If there is a good defense (2 or better), no hit SS, use that instead of Fernandez. Or just use Duncan and get yourself a better defensive catcher.

You've spent waaaaay too much on your bullpen. Get rid of Thigpen & pick up some starters. Z.Smith will do well for the $$$ at Kingdome. Sebra, McGaffigan & Downs are all available and will probably do well.

You've still got a lot of work to do. On the plus side, nobody looks great. The Mudville 9 would be my pick to win your division as the rosters stand right now.

Lynn does well at Kingdome. If you can work your budget to get him back, I would do that, too.
Jake Squid

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 am

I have to agree that you are spending way too much on your bullpen. Frank Williams is costing you over 4 million dollars and he has pitched 8 innings? Think about that next time you set up a team. You want your money players on the field as much as possible. Good luck, and remember to have fun.
RICHARDMILTER

updates

Postby Assmeriten » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 pm

I took the hit and cut Williams and signed Gullickson who help lead the team to take the divison and into the playoffs as number 3 seed where they managed to knock off the number 2 seed in 5 games to go on to the finals against the wildcard who knocked off the number 1 seed in 5 games.

After the first 4 games in the final was down 3 games to 1 and it didn't help that Tettleton was out for the post season with the lefty starters I would be facing. I won game 5 and then won game 6. So here we are game 7 all tied upped 3 games a peice and facing another lefty. Could I do it, win game 7 and do the ultimate come back to take my first '86 ring or would it be back to the drawing board?

Here is the boxscore game link for game 7 of the finals:
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/playoffs/boxscore.html?group_id=68140&g_id=989
Assmeriten

Postby Jake Squid » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am

Congratulations. Schmidt was awesome for you & the Brock/Martinez combo did really well. Your pitching was surprisingly good.

Nice job.
Jake Squid

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999