Catcher Injuries

Our historical single season sets

Catcher Injuries

Postby kenhutchings » Mon May 11, 2009 2:21 pm

My question applies to all games, but I'm posting it on this board since it occurred in a '69 game.

I have been under the impression that once a catcher on a team is injured, his backup will not be injured if he is the only catcher remaining.

In one of my games yesterday (Game 63), my opponent's primary catcher, Duke Sims, was injured prior to the game and the entire series. His was a 10 game injury commencing with Game 53. His backup catcher, Bob Didier, ended up getting injured during the course of the game, and the always reliable (sarcasm) Brant Alyea came in to catch for the remainder of the game. In fact, Alyea had a passed ball during a four run sixth inning by my team.

Anyway, is my earlier impression wrong regarding injuries to catchers? If not, why did the second injury occur? Was it because it was Duke's last game on the DL?

:?
kenhutchings

Postby LMBombers » Mon May 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Check out who started the game at DH for that team and any other players that PH or PR prior to the injury to Didier. I bet one of those players is C elligible. If a C elligible player is playing DH HAL will not bring him in to catch if the starting C is injured. He will start the next game at C however. In this instance he wouldn't have needed to since Sims was back in the next game.

Please post a link to the box score of this game.
LMBombers

Postby kenhutchings » Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 pm

There was another catcher eligible, but Ed Kirkpatrick was playing 3B, and HAL kept him in at 3B. This is a no DH league.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/1969/league/boxscore.html?group_id=10101&g_id=375

Given EK's fielding and throwing arm rating, it appears that having Brant Alyea catch isn't that much worse. There were 3 stolen bases, one ball thrown into center field, and a passed ball after Alyea came into the game.
kenhutchings

Postby GFDWARF07 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:33 pm

And you are welcome for all of the above! (you were playing my woeful team)
GFDWARF07

Postby LMBombers » Tue May 12, 2009 5:59 am

Well the answer to this is that his last C elligible player on his roster was not injured. When Didier went down Kirkpatrick became injury proof until Sims or Didier came back and he would have started at C if Sims had not come back in the next game. Sometimes HAL has trouble shifting players around just right during the same game when an injury occurs but will get it right beginning with the next game.

Maybe that team had no more 3B elligible players if Kirkpatrick went to C? If that was the case then HAL knew that one position or the other would have a player who can't play that position and just decided to keep Kirkpatrick at 3B.
LMBombers

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999