YIKES (AGAIN)!!! SHIFTING SANDS -- Dose #2

Postby uncle ny » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:09 am

i've tweaked it a bit following a suggestion and a complaint. Here's the very slightly modified version.

1. By uncle ny - CATCH AND RELEASE
The league will use graduated penalties for drops/adds. The SOM system works as follows:

games 1-41: 5%, games 42-80: 10%, games 81+: 20%

In this league, there will be three mandatory drop/adds as follows:

After games, 33, 75, and 112, each team will be required to drop its most highly compensated pitcher, most highly compensated outfielder, and most highly compensated infielder (excluding catcher) and replace them. Players dropped in each round of CATCH AND RELEASE may not be picked up during the same round of CATCH AND RELEASE except that teams in the 10th, 11th, and 12th spots may pick up players released in that round. The drops/adds will be done in the order of standings based on record, with the top team going first. Ties will be decided based on run differential. Each team will have three hours to do this with the clock running 9-9, Eastern time, so that each team will be able to complete its changes before the change in penalty kicks in. Any team that misses its turn will be required to add its next most highly compensated player not previously dropped (regardless of position) so that he/she will be required to drop 4, not 3, and will do so in the 12th spot regardless of whether the penalty has changed. IF THERE ARE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR A TEAM TO COMPLY WITH THE DEADLINE, they should post the same in advance and the Commish will try to accomodate the extenuating circumstance.

PILGRIMS AND "1" 3BMEN ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS THEME. ERA "SUES" ARE NOT EXEMPT.

ALSO (THIS IS NEW), NO DROP ADDS MAY BE MADE AFTER GAME 18 UNTIL AFTER THE FIRST ROUND OF C&R, AFTER GAME 60 UNTIL AFTER THE SECOND ROUND OF C&R AND AFTER GAME 99 UNTIL THE FINAL ROUND OF C&R HAS CONCLUDED.
uncle ny

Postby giddyup81 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:10 am

A-Adcock (50's)
B-Bailey (60's)
B-Burke (70's)
C-Camnitz (00's)
D-Duffy
D(secret Letter)-Danforth (10's)
E-Eels
G-Greenberg (40's)
H-Hurst (80's)
J-Jacobsen
J-Jones
K-Key(ERA)
L-Lachance (ERA) (Pilgrim)
M-Matchik
N-Nettles (1 in D at 3b)
O-Orosco (ERA)
P-Pesky (ERA)
Q-Quirk(ERA)
R-Roebuck
S-Simmons (20's)
V-Vander Meer (ERA)
W-Willams
Y-Yde

C-Bailey (Lefty) (4)
1b-Jacobsen/Adcock (Platoon) (4)
2b-Matchick (Lefty .5) (3) Duffy (.5 backup)
SS- Pesky (Lefty) (2)
3b-Nettles (Lefty) (1)
lf-Burke/Jones(Platoon) (2)
CF Simmons (2)
RF-Williams (Lefty) (3)

LH Starters *'s-Hurst and Key
Extra LH Starters Vander Meer, Tudor

Pavano picks-Guy Bush, Jim Gilliam
giddyup81

Postby STEPHENANDERSON 2 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:00 am

In response to Unc's rule, I just had a thought.

If my most expensive pitcher is Otto Hess.
infielder is Trosky, outfielder is Pasqua
I have to drop them at the first drop.
Do i have to pick up a reverse pitcher, 2 reverse hitters, a "H", "T", "P",
2 fours at defense, and decaders if they pull me out of compliance there.

And if I cannot, do I have to wrangle my roster to get back into compliance.

Not sure why I have not thought about that before now.
STEPHENANDERSON 2

Just moving the Rules up to the front.

Postby modmark46 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:27 pm

SHIFTING SANDS ATG3 TWO

UPDATED THEMES FOR NEXT SHIFTING SANDS LEAGUE

Subject to Pavano Theme, 100M Salary Cap (but as per Pavano, you can't spend more than 90M during draft and AD)

DH League

24 LIVE DRAFTED PLAYERS. PLUS 2 STICKS MEANS EACH TEAM MUST CONSIST OF 26 PLAYERS ALL YEAR

The league will use graduated penalties for drops/adds. The SOM system works as follows:

After games, 33, 75, and 112, each team will be required to drop its most highly compensated pitcher, most highly compensated outfielder, and most highly compensated infielder (excluding catcher) and replace them. Players dropped in each round of CATCH AND RELEASE may not be picked up during the same round of CATCH AND RELEASE except that teams in the 10th, 11th, and 12th spots may pick up players released in that round. The drops/adds will be done in the order of standings based on record, with the top team going first. Ties will be decided based on run differential. Each team will have three hours to do this with the clock running 9-9, Eastern time, so that each team will be able to complete its changes before the change in penalty kicks in. Any team that misses its turn will be required to add its next most highly compensated player not previously dropped (regardless of position) so that he/she will be required to drop 4, not 3, and will do so in the 12th spot regardless of whether the penalty has changed. IF THERE ARE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR A TEAM TO COMPLY WITH THE DEADLINE, they should post the same in advance and the Commish will try to accomodate the extenuating circumstance.

ALSO (THIS IS NEW), NO DROP ADDS MAY BE MADE AFTER GAME 18 UNTIL AFTER THE FIRST ROUND OF C&R, AFTER GAME 60 UNTIL AFTER THE SECOND ROUND OF C&R AND AFTER GAME 99 UNTIL THE FINAL ROUND OF C&R HAS CONCLUDED.

2. by spicki17 - DRAFT SALARY CAP

this rule only applies to the live draft and only to the first 12 rounds.

at the beginning of the draft, based off the pick 3 numbers, each owner will be assigned a number 1 thru 12 (1 goes to the lowest number, 12 to the highest, if we have a tie number, we can have the commish flip a coin or something). this will be their "assigned number" for the whole draft.

then, at the beginning of each round, our commish (or a random person not in the league) will run a random number generator on the numbers 1 to 12, to determine the draft order for that round. the owner who has the "assigned number" that is listed first picks last for that round. the owner who has the "assigned number" that is listed last number picks first for that round. BUT, the person who picks first has the lowest salary that round and the person who picks last has the highest salary for that round. the salary caps are as follows:

pick 12 - unlimited cap
pick 11 - 12M
pick 10 - 11M
pick 9 - 10M
pick 8 - 9M
pick 7 - 8M
pick 6 - 7M
pick 5 - 6M
pick 4 - 5M
pick 3 - 4M
pick 2 - 3M
pick 1 - 2M

thus, the person with pick 1 cannot select a player over 2M, and the owner with pick 12 can spend however much money they want (as long as they stay under a total of 100M - or whatever the salary cap is for this league). no money can be rolled over to the next round.

one last twist. before making their pick, any team can "roll the dice". what this means is they can request the commish to flip a coin (or run a random number 1 to 2). if the flip is heads (1), they get 1.5 times their cap that round. if the flip is tails (2), they get half their cap for that round.

at the end of the 12 rounds, a normal serpentine draft will will take place (no more salary cap on picks), where the owner with the most amount of money spent picks first, and the owner with the least amount of money spent picks last.

3. by Doctor Tax - I HATE HOME COOKING THEME

1st - Before the player draft starts, we run a draft, either lottery or random number, does not matter, to give an order 1-12.

2nd - Drafting 1 of 4 stadiums - 2 righty tainted ( Wrigley 59 and Shibe 50) and 2 lefty tainted ( Sportsman 20 and League 34).

3rd - Numbers 1-4 EAST Division - each pick a Stadium
Numbers 5- 8 CENTRAL Division - each pick a Stadium
Numbers 9- 12 WEST Division - each pick a Stadium
Each division only gets one of each.

4th - Each manager that picks Wrigley and Shibe MUST DRAFT 4 LEFTY starters and each manager that picks Sportsman and League MUST DRAFT 4 RIGHTY STARTERS. Each manager must keep at least 4 and 4 the whole year. At least 2 of the four must be starters only.

5th - Each manager MUST DRAFT 5 HITTERS THAT START AND THAT HIT OPPOSITE OF THEIR STADIUM. (i.e. Ruth in Shibe.... Aaron in League)They cannot platoon, cannot be switch hitters and before the season, you must name the 5 starters. Plus, if you pickup and drop, you must announce it at the time.

Guess that covers it.

4. 21 by giddyup81
Your fielders defensive rating (C, 1b, 2b, SS, 3b, LF, CF, RF) have to add up 21.

5. He's Meat - "Third is the charm".

There are 15 players rated a 1 defensively at 3b, you must have one of them as your everyday starting 3b, no platoon. (that leaves you 20 defensive points per rule 4 for your other 7 defensive posiitions)

6.AP

The JACK BOWER "24" Alphabet Code Theme

For all your "24" fans out there (or not) this is a killer

Rule 1 - Rosters must be cut down to 24 (excluding the pavano stick picks) at all times (no restriction on Pitch or Hit) before game time each night. (meaning you can go over if needed but must cut down before the night's games.

Rule 2 - Your 24 players MUST have LAST NAMES starting with a different Letter.

Rule 3 - "J" for Jack, "B" for Bower, can be DOUBLE AGENTS - you may have 2 J's and/or 2 B's but ONLY 2 of each MAX. These are your DOUBLE AGENT letters .

Letters I (4), Q (4), U (3), V (10), Y (10) and Z (5) are the only letters w/ less than 12 names.....the other 20 letters have plenty. (Next lowest is "E").

Thus, the 20 good letters + the 2 Double Agents = 22. The lower letters above (I,Q,U,V,Y,Z) give enough (36) for 2 more for everyone.

IN ADDITION, THERE WILL BE a 3rd Double Agent Letter. This is needed to make sure everyone has a valid 24 man roster.

The obvious choice is the 24th Letter but that's "X" ....so this is what I propose.

"X" will stand for "SECRET DOUBLE AGENT LETTER" .....i.e., you all get a 3rd SECRET Double Agent Letter of your choice....but here's the kicker - NO ONE CAN HAVE THE SAME "SECRET DOUBLE AGENT LETTER"

SECRET DOUBLE AGENT LETTER is defined as follows: During the draft, at your turn in ANY round, you can UNLEASH your SECRET IDENTITY Letter. This letter can NOT be "B" or "J" or any of the LIMITED Letters (I,Q,U,V,Y,Z) . You do this by making a PICK at that time for a player who's name ends in that letter [but you must already have that letter in your roster....desigante when you may your 2nd selection of that letter......you want 2X. Once you make your SECRET IDENTITY Letter DOULBE Agent Pick then that letter is YOURS and YOURS only for the entire season - and NO ONE can pick more than 1 person with that letter.

Example: If owner #1 picks "M"antle and later in the draft (before anyone else picks a second "M") choses "M"ize then "M" is that owners SECRET IDENTITY LETTER and everyone else can only pick ONE "M" for the season.

The strategy is do you pick a GOOD letter early OR save the SECRET IDENTITY Letter at the end to comply with all the other THEMES ??!?!?

DOH !!!

PENALTY - as I said before, and have read above, this THEME should not and WILL NOT interfere w/ any other theme....why ? Because if you come to a point in the draft were the only players available prohibit you from A) meeting the other theme requirement and/or B) meeting the salary cap then you will assessed a PENALTY. The PENALTY is that starting with your highest $ Drafted player (if during the regular season when you are subject to Uncle's cut rule then you must make whatever extra cuts you need to make to adhere to this rule), you throw that player back - NEVER TO BE ACQUIRED AGAIN EVER - and make another pick at that letter (or another if still available to you)....and continue until you have met all the other theme requirements - including this one.

There are enough letters - it's up to you to pick wisely 1. We all must have a 24 man roster.

7. Bigmahon - Two Weddings and a (Weekly) Funeral -

You must have 2 (down from 4) platoons running at all times. You may not have platoons at your .50 position, or at 3B, or at any of Tom's 5 "opposite" spots. That leaves exactly 2, which must platoon.

Funeral bit BELOW stays the same (provided of course that Tom's rule allows for one of the 5 to be buried. If not can he please make it so).

Weekly Funeral - You will "bury" (bench) one of your positional players for a single series each week. This player may not be your 3B, your .50 player, or any of your platoon players. That leaves 5 spots to choose from, at your discretion (provided again that Tom's rule is amenable to this). You must announce your "burial" to the rest of the league via league mail as early in the week as you can. Weeks start on Monday. Penalty for failing to comply in a given week will be 2 burials in the following week. 2 total (1 additional)

see the following: QUESTION FOR BIG: Given the platoons etc, we should be sure that when we Funeral Bench a player we can only do so if we have a reserve for him. ie, we can't leave his line-up slot open just have HAL slot benched guy back in. Can you rejigger your platoons (make a platoon guy a 2 way starter and go with a different platoon) in complying as long as you mainatin platoon requirement -- me thinks yes?

ANSWER: Foggy, that sounds good to me. As long as you maintain 2 platoons, and that they are not at 3B or your .50 position you will be fine.

8. Memphis - "Pilgrims Pride" - There are 15 players on the 1903 Boston Pilgrims. Each team must have one of these platers on their roster for the entire season. NO MORE THAN ONE PILGRIM PER TEAM

9. Modmark - Give Scrubs a chance.
EAST division teams starting CF must be a .50 salaried player. CENTRAL division teams starting SS must be a .50 salaried player. WEST division teams starting 2b must be a .50 salaried player. Additionally, should the CF, SS or 2b be hurt, his backup must ALSO be a .50 backup. No player higher than .50 may be used at the designated position for any reason, all season. Divisions will be based on the lottery draw (typical 1, 4, 7, 10, etc. division set up). it is okay under certain circumstances to have a non500k player who is eligible for your nickel postion on your roster. example jackie robinson for a nickel 2b team: J. Robinson, who can play 2b. I will sign off on it, as long as he, and everyone, understands that, when his .50 2b goes down with an injury, he does all in his power to insure the backup .50 takes over at 2b, and NOT Robinson. I understand that HAL may insert Robinson at 2b during a series should an injury occur, and that would be no fault of MRBBW. But again, the intent is that only .50 people play the designated positions (cf, 2b, ss), whenever possible

10. Wockenfuss - The title is: "Your GM had a Brian Fart and Acquired Carl Pavano and Greg Vaughn".

Uh, oh......your GM went on a bender at the Winter Meetings. He signed Pavano and Vaughn to "No Cut" contracts.

Now, after the TSN autodraft (note, we are filling in draft cards with the 25 live drafted players) has run but before the season commences (or as soon as possible following the last "Stick Pick" ---see below), you will have to pick up two players (ONE HITTER AND ONE PITCHER) for an aggregate salary no more than $10,000,000. The Players will be selected by other League GMs in a 2-round draft on these Boards.

This will be a 100M DH league. Of the 100M, you must keep 10M available for these picks. So you must draft based on a 90M budget.

Draft Order for the FIRST ROUND of the "Pavano Stick Round" will be in the inverse order of aggregate salary used in Live Draft (lowest salary for drfated players GOES FIRST). The SECOND ROUND will be done randomly by using the same lottery states for draft order but with numbers rerun on the day following the evening the AD runs (AD run Wednesday Night....we use Thursday numbers--Highest number goes first). Each team must be stuck one hitter and one pitcher.

of course you can Never drop or trade Messrs. Vaughn and Pavano. Use them as best you can.

PAVANO STICK PICKS ARE "24 THEME" EXEMPT: THEY DON'T COUNT AS ANY LETTER OF THE ALPHABET. ALSO, YOU MAY NOT STICK A TEAM WITH A STARTING PITCHER WHO THROWS WITH OPPOSITE ARM REQUIRED BY THE "STICKEE TEAM" STADIUM.
11. rosenthm

A Boy Named Sue or the Equal Rights Amendment Theme (ERA)

To meet the requirements you must have:
a) 6 players on your roster that have names that could be females' names..spelling doesn't count so Billy is OK but Bill is not; Joe is OK, nicknames that could be either are OK (Dazzy or Dizzy)...

or

b) 3 full time players in the aggregate (with at least one SP and where platoons only count as 1/2).

or

c) 25% of your total payroll with approved names (Dazzy, Babe Ruth, Robin Yount, Rickie Henderson etc.)

Just to make it easier we'll count last names as OK...Mule Shirley for example.

12) MRBBW - You must have at least 1 player on your roster from 8 different decades. As an alternative you may comply by having at least 1 player from 9 different astrological signs.

This drops it from 9 to 8 and is total team rather than both a pitcher and hitter requirement. You have 24-27 guys to make either the 8 or 9 requirement.
modmark46

Postby pacoboy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:52 pm

[quote:33792f1a5b] 17 Feb 2007 13:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bigmahon wrote:
Just doing my final compliance check, and I need a clarification:

26 players, 2 of which are stick picks and thus "24" exempt. Given that we have doubles at "J", "B", and our SDAL, we must therefore have at least 21 different letters. Correct?

Cheers

21 is the magic number at defense as well as different letters.[/quote:33792f1a5b]

There is no rule that says you MUST have 2 "J's, OR 2 "B"'s or an SDAL either.

You can have more than 21 diff letters.

...I think Meat is in that boat right now.
pacoboy

Postby pacoboy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:01 pm

[quote:b9ff1806b9]In response to Unc's rule, I just had a thought.

If my most expensive pitcher is Otto Hess.
infielder is Trosky, outfielder is Pasqua
I have to drop them at the first drop.
Do i have to pick up a reverse pitcher, 2 reverse hitters, a "H", "T", "P",
2 fours at defense, and decaders if they pull me out of compliance there.

And if I cannot, do I have to wrangle my roster to get back into compliance.

Not sure why I have not thought about that before now. [/quote:b9ff1806b9]

Yes, I'm afraid so. You MUST get back in compliance before the nights games so I would assume that most of us will be add/dropping MORE THAN just the Uncle 3.

...which is exactly why I've been pushing to hold the draft a day or two BEORE the Add/Drop day.
pacoboy

Postby bigmahon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:07 pm

[quote:4a8cf022aa="pacoboy"][quote:4a8cf022aa] 17 Feb 2007 13:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bigmahon wrote:
Just doing my final compliance check, and I need a clarification:

26 players, 2 of which are stick picks and thus "24" exempt. Given that we have doubles at "J", "B", and our SDAL, we must therefore have at least 21 different letters. Correct?

Cheers

21 is the magic number at defense as well as different letters.[/quote:4a8cf022aa]

There is no rule that says you MUST have 2 "J's, OR 2 "B"'s or an SDAL either.

You can have more than 21 diff letters.

...I think Meat is in that boat right now.[/quote:4a8cf022aa]
Cool. My question was really about 21 being the minimum. :wink:
bigmahon

Final compliance check

Postby bigmahon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:27 pm

A-Austin (20's; ERA)
B-Brown (00's)
C-Criger (Pilgrim; ERA)
D-Doyle (10's)
E-Ehmke
F-Fisher (60's)
G-Garber (70's; ERA)
H-Hickman
I-
J-Jenkins (ERA)
K-Knickerbocker (30's)
L-Lyle
M-Musial (40's)
N-Nehf
O-Ostrowski (50's; ERA)
P-Pocoroba (80's; ERA)
Q-
R-Rixey
S-Stargell
T-Traynor (ERA)
U-
V-Vosmik
W-Williams
X-
Y-
Z-Zuvella

C-Pocoroba/Johnson - platoon - 4 def
1B-Musial - LH in Shibe - 2 def
2B-Doyle - LH in Shibe - 3 def
3B-Traynor - mandatory 1 def at 3B
SS-Knickerbocker - 2 def
LH- Stargell - LH in Shibe - 3 def
CF- Hancock - .50 - LH in Shibe - 3 def
RF - Hickman/Brock - platoon - 3 def
DH - Averill - LH in Shibe

Total def. = 21
Total fulltime LH in Shibe = 5
Total platoons = 2

LHSP who will pitch every 5th day = 2 (Nehf/Rixey)

.50 backup for CF = Williams

Pilgrim = Criger

2 stick picks: Botting/Averill (thank you Meat)

Lousy teams: one (mine)
bigmahon

Postby MEAT » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 pm

[url]SHIFTING SANDS ATG3 TWO

UPDATED THEMES FOR NEXT SHIFTING SANDS LEAGUE

Subject to Pavano Theme, 100M Salary Cap (but as per Pavano, you can't spend more than 90M during draft and AD)

DH League

24 LIVE DRAFTED PLAYERS. PLUS 2 STICKS MEANS EACH TEAM MUST CONSIST OF 26 PLAYERS ALL YEAR

After games, 38, 78, and 116, each team will be required to drop its most highly compensated pitcher, most highly compensated outfielder, and most highly compensated infielder (excluding catcher) and replace them. Players dropped in each round of CATCH AND RELEASE may not be picked up during the same round of CATCH AND RELEASE except that teams in the 10th, 11th, and 12th spots may pick up players released in that round. The drops/adds will be done in the order of standings based on record, with the top team going first. Ties will be decided based on run differential. Each team will have three hours to do this with the clock running 9-9, Eastern time, so that each team will be able to complete its changes before the change in penalty kicks in. Any team that misses its turn will be required to add its next most highly compensated pitcher and infielder so that he/she will be required to drop 5, not 3, and will do so in the 12th spot regardless of whether the penalty has changed. IF THERE ARE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR A TEAM TO COMPLY WITH THE DEADLINE, they should post the same in advance and the Commish will try to accomodate the extenuating circumstance.

2. by spicki17 - DRAFT SALARY CAP

this rule only applies to the live draft and only to the first 12 rounds.

at the beginning of the draft, based off the pick 3 numbers, each owner will be assigned a number 1 thru 12 (1 goes to the lowest number, 12 to the highest, if we have a tie number, we can have the commish flip a coin or something). this will be their "assigned number" for the whole draft.

then, at the beginning of each round, our commish (or a random person not in the league) will run a random number generator on the numbers 1 to 12, to determine the draft order for that round. the owner who has the "assigned number" that is listed first picks last for that round. the owner who has the "assigned number" that is listed last number picks first for that round. BUT, the person who picks first has the lowest salary that round and the person who picks last has the highest salary for that round. the salary caps are as follows:

pick 12 - unlimited cap
pick 11 - 12M
pick 10 - 11M
pick 9 - 10M
pick 8 - 9M
pick 7 - 8M
pick 6 - 7M
pick 5 - 6M
pick 4 - 5M
pick 3 - 4M
pick 2 - 3M
pick 1 - 2M

thus, the person with pick 1 cannot select a player over 2M, and the owner with pick 12 can spend however much money they want (as long as they stay under a total of 100M - or whatever the salary cap is for this league). no money can be rolled over to the next round.

one last twist. before making their pick, any team can "roll the dice". what this means is they can request the commish to flip a coin (or run a random number 1 to 2). if the flip is heads (1), they get 1.5 times their cap that round. if the flip is tails (2), they get half their cap for that round.

at the end of the 12 rounds, a normal serpentine draft will will take place (no more salary cap on picks), where the owner with the most amount of money spent picks first, and the owner with the least amount of money spent picks last.

3. by Doctor Tax - I HATE HOME COOKING THEME

1st - Before the player draft starts, we run a draft, either lottery or random number, does not matter, to give an order 1-12.

2nd - Drafting 1 of 4 stadiums - 2 righty tainted ( Wrigley 59 and Shibe 50) and 2 lefty tainted ( Sportsman 20 and League 34).

3rd - Numbers 1-4 EAST Division - each pick a Stadium
Numbers 5- 8 CENTRAL Division - each pick a Stadium
Numbers 9- 12 WEST Division - each pick a Stadium
Each division only gets one of each.

4th - Each manager that picks Wrigley and Shibe MUST DRAFT 4 LEFTY starters and each manager that picks Sportsman and League MUST DRAFT 4 RIGHTY STARTERS. Each manager must keep at least 4 and 4 the whole year. At least 2 of the four must be starters only.

5th - Each manager MUST DRAFT 5 HITTERS THAT START AND THAT HIT OPPOSITE OF THEIR STADIUM. (i.e. Ruth in Shibe.... Aaron in League)They cannot platoon, cannot be switch hitters and before the season, you must name the 5 starters. Plus, if you pickup and drop, you must announce it at the time.

Guess that covers it.

4. 21 by giddyup81
Your fielders defensive rating (C, 1b, 2b, SS, 3b, LF, CF, RF) have to add up 21.

5. He's Meat - "Third is the charm".

There are 15 players rated a 1 defensively at 3b, you must have one of them as your everyday starting 3b, no platoon. (that leaves you 20 defensive points per rule 4 for your other 7 defensive posiitions)

6.AP

The JACK BOWER "24" Alphabet Code Theme

For all your "24" fans out there (or not) this is a killer

Rule 1 - Rosters must be cut down to 24 (excluding the pavano stick picks) at all times (no restriction on Pitch or Hit) before game time each night. (meaning you can go over if needed but must cut down before the night's games.

Rule 2 - Your 24 players MUST have LAST NAMES starting with a different Letter.

Rule 3 - "J" for Jack, "B" for Bower, can be DOUBLE AGENTS - you may have 2 J's and/or 2 B's but ONLY 2 of each MAX. These are your DOUBLE AGENT letters .

Letters I (4), Q (4), U (3), V (10), Y (10) and Z (5) are the only letters w/ less than 12 names.....the other 20 letters have plenty. (Next lowest is "E").

Thus, the 20 good letters + the 2 Double Agents = 22. The lower letters above (I,Q,U,V,Y,Z) give enough (36) for 2 more for everyone.

IN ADDITION, THERE WILL BE a 3rd Double Agent Letter. This is needed to make sure everyone has a valid 24 man roster.

The obvious choice is the 24th Letter but that's "X" ....so this is what I propose.

"X" will stand for "SECRET DOUBLE AGENT LETTER" .....i.e., you all get a 3rd SECRET Double Agent Letter of your choice....but here's the kicker - NO ONE CAN HAVE THE SAME "SECRET DOUBLE AGENT LETTER"

SECRET DOUBLE AGENT LETTER is defined as follows: During the draft, at your turn in ANY round, you can UNLEASH your SECRET IDENTITY Letter. This letter can NOT be "B" or "J" or any of the LIMITED Letters (I,Q,U,V,Y,Z) . You do this by making a PICK at that time for a player who's name ends in that letter [but you must already have that letter in your roster....desigante when you may your 2nd selection of that letter......you want 2X. Once you make your SECRET IDENTITY Letter DOULBE Agent Pick then that letter is YOURS and YOURS only for the entire season - and NO ONE can pick more than 1 person with that letter.

Example: If owner #1 picks "M"antle and later in the draft (before anyone else picks a second "M") choses "M"ize then "M" is that owners SECRET IDENTITY LETTER and everyone else can only pick ONE "M" for the season.

The strategy is do you pick a GOOD letter early OR save the SECRET IDENTITY Letter at the end to comply with all the other THEMES ??!?!?

DOH !!!

PENALTY - as I said before, and have read above, this THEME should not and WILL NOT interfere w/ any other theme....why ? Because if you come to a point in the draft were the only players available prohibit you from A) meeting the other theme requirement and/or B) meeting the salary cap then you will assessed a PENALTY. The PENALTY is that starting with your highest $ Drafted player (if during the regular season when you are subject to Uncle's cut rule then you must make whatever extra cuts you need to make to adhere to this rule), you throw that player back - NEVER TO BE ACQUIRED AGAIN EVER - and make another pick at that letter (or another if still available to you)....and continue until you have met all the other theme requirements - including this one.

There are enough letters - it's up to you to pick wisely 1. We all must have a 24 man roster.

7. Bigmahon - Two Weddings and a (Weekly) Funeral -

You must have 2 (down from 4) platoons running at all times. You may not have platoons at your .50 position, or at 3B, or at any of Tom's 5 "opposite" spots. That leaves exactly 2, which must platoon.

Funeral bit BELOW stays the same (provided of course that Tom's rule allows for one of the 5 to be buried. If not can he please make it so).

Weekly Funeral - You will "bury" (bench) one of your positional players for a single series each week. This player may not be your 3B, your .50 player, or any of your platoon players. That leaves 5 spots to choose from, at your discretion (provided again that Tom's rule is amenable to this). You must announce your "burial" to the rest of the league via league mail as early in the week as you can. Weeks start on Monday. Penalty for failing to comply in a given week will be 2 burials in the following week. 2 total (1 additional)

see the following: QUESTION FOR BIG: Given the platoons etc, we should be sure that when we Funeral Bench a player we can only do so if we have a reserve for him. ie, we can't leave his line-up slot open just have HAL slot benched guy back in. Can you rejigger your platoons (make a platoon guy a 2 way starter and go with a different platoon) in complying as long as you mainatin platoon requirement -- me thinks yes?

ANSWER: Foggy, that sounds good to me. As long as you maintain 2 platoons, and that they are not at 3B or your .50 position you will be fine.

8. Memphis - "Pilgrims Pride" - There are 15 players on the 1903 Boston Pilgrims. Each team must have one of these platers on their roster for the entire season. NO MORE THAN ONE PILGRIM PER TEAM

9. Modmark - Give Scrubs a chance.
EAST division teams starting CF must be a .50 salaried player. CENTRAL division teams starting SS must be a .50 salaried player. WEST division teams starting 2b must be a .50 salaried player. Additionally, should the CF, SS or 2b be hurt, his backup must ALSO be a .50 backup. No player higher than .50 may be used at the designated position for any reason, all season. Divisions will be based on the lottery draw (typical 1, 4, 7, 10, etc. division set up). it is okay under certain circumstances to have a non500k player who is eligible for your nickel postion on your roster. example jackie robinson for a nickel 2b team: J. Robinson, who can play 2b. I will sign off on it, as long as he, and everyone, understands that, when his .50 2b goes down with an injury, he does all in his power to insure the backup .50 takes over at 2b, and NOT Robinson. I understand that HAL may insert Robinson at 2b during a series should an injury occur, and that would be no fault of MRBBW. But again, the intent is that only .50 people play the designated positions (cf, 2b, ss), whenever possible

10. Wockenfuss - The title is: "Your GM had a Brian Fart and Acquired Carl Pavano and Greg Vaughn".

Uh, oh......your GM went on a bender at the Winter Meetings. He signed Pavano and Vaughn to "No Cut" contracts.

Now, after the TSN autodraft (note, we are filling in draft cards with the 25 live drafted players) has run but before the season commences (or as soon as possible following the last "Stick Pick" ---see below), you will have to pick up two players (ONE HITTER AND ONE PITCHER) for an aggregate salary no more than $10,000,000. The Players will be selected by other League GMs in a 2-round draft on these Boards.

This will be a 100M DH league. Of the 100M, you must keep 10M available for these picks. So you must draft based on a 90M budget.

Draft Order for the FIRST ROUND of the "Pavano Stick Round" will be in the inverse order of aggregate salary used in Live Draft (lowest salary for drfated players GOES FIRST). The SECOND ROUND will be done randomly by using the same lottery states for draft order but with numbers rerun on the day following the evening the AD runs (AD run Wednesday Night....we use Thursday numbers--Highest number goes first). Each team must be stuck one hitter and one pitcher.

of course you can Never drop or trade Messrs. Vaughn and Pavano. Use them as best you can.

PAVANO STICK PICKS ARE "24 THEME" EXEMPT: THEY DON'T COUNT AS ANY LETTER OF THE ALPHABET. ALSO, YOU MAY NOT STICK A TEAM WITH A STARTING PITCHER WHO THROWS WITH OPPOSITE ARM REQUIRED BY THE "STICKEE TEAM" STADIUM.
11. rosenthm

A Boy Named Sue or the Equal Rights Amendment Theme (ERA)

To meet the requirements you must have:
a) 6 players on your roster that have names that could be females' names..spelling doesn't count so Billy is OK but Bill is not; Joe is OK, nicknames that could be either are OK (Dazzy or Dizzy)...

or

b) 3 full time players in the aggregate (with at least one SP and where platoons only count as 1/2).

or

c) 25% of your total payroll with approved names (Dazzy, Babe Ruth, Robin Yount, Rickie Henderson etc.)

Just to make it easier we'll count last names as OK...Mule Shirley for example.

12) MRBBW - You must have at least 1 player on your roster from 8 different decades. As an alternative you may comply by having at least 1 player from 9 different astrological signs.

This drops it from 9 to 8 and is total team rather than both a pitcher and hitter requirement. You have 24-27 guys to make either the 8 or 9 requirement. [/url]
MEAT

Postby Mr Baseball World » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:38 pm

I see that I lost two games last night that I led by 2 going to the bottom of the ninth. Gave up 3 runs both games in the ninth with the losing pitcher both times being Ron Perranoski. Perranoski was acquired in a trade just prior to the season from unc. Of course last nights opponent was unc. :x Coincidence or conpiracy????? Early to tell but it would help to see unc's phone records for suspicious calls to or from Ron P.

A formal protest will not be lodged at this time pending further investigation. :shock:
Mr Baseball World

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat