ATG 6 auction league: Chat thread

Are you interested in participating in an ATG6 auction when the set becomes available?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Total votes : 0

Postby hackra » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:36 pm

[quote:0bfb0bd244="litangel"]This sounds good and I have a couple of suggestions:

First - possible 28 Players - Yes
Second - DH? - Strong Yes

How about making qualification for the open auction really simple, any manager within 10% of the top bid is in. I like the proviso that if either there are 11 passes, or there is no one within 10%, the player is simply awarded.

I suggest that the minimum raise be .10 all the time in previous open auctions done on the board, bids went by tenths, not hundreths, and so .10 was the minimum bid. With the .05 raise, it could take 20 bids to go up a million!

I also think that choosing when we move from open-closed to pure closed based on when one owner reaches a certain point is too arbitrary. I also think some significant close bids come medium-late in the auction. My first choice would be to switch once 200 players have been proposed (2/3 of the way through) My second choice would be once 3 managers have their 20th player.[/quote:0bfb0bd244]

I like your suggestion of $.10 minimum raise and have edited the above to reflect that.

You are right that the 20 player idea was arbitrary, but I was thinking an arbitrary starting point needed to be picked. My preference would be to stop about 50-60% of the way through, but 200 players would be okay if others agree.

I did modify the inclusion criteria for the open auction as suggested by Steve (carr20), again we can modify it further if there is concensus, but I do think that there should be a bigger benefit to putting in a high bid (for example if I bid $30 million on Pujols, and the next higest bidder bids $27.1 I would feel cheated that I had to bid against that other manager after committing so much salary to one guy). My thought was to include only bidders who were very close.

Thanks, and keep those suggestions coming.
:)
hackra

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 pm

DH - YES!

I prefer a 25 man roster but am flexible.

#4 - I believe we should just go with the top bid to start the open auction. We should try to make any math with this simple so no one gets confused.

I agree with litangel that we should increase bids by $.10 in the open auction.

#3 - I believe we should vote on what is a good number. Is $.25 not enough, or is it just right? We could get everyone to tell us what they think is a good number for the difference and then average those to come up with the number we would use. I hope that made sense. Or is it as clear as mud?
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby MIKEARCHAMBAULT » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Open auction to anyone within 10% of the highest bid seems preferable to me. The only time a large dollar amount is involved is in the premium players. If someone wants to pay $30 million for Ruth, I don't mind anyone else willing to pay $27 million getting the final price jacked up to $45 million. On a $10 million player, the bids are within a million, so that seems reasonable, too. For sure, there are changes required in bid strategy, but that's OK.....Mike

Oh, yeah, I would be willing to get in if there is room. And DH (God, can't believe I can say that!)
MIKEARCHAMBAULT

Postby danielz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:06 pm

DH- yes
25 man roster-Yes
I say open bidding starts with the highest bid. If I am willing to pay
11.5 million for Dimaggio, why should open bidding drop to 10 million for a start. Also, it would stop me from bidding 50 million on Gibson just to get in the open bid auction.
For the over 10 million dollar players, I think anyone within 10 percent should get in the live auction. If 6 players bid between 17 and 18.6 for Gibson, let em all in. With the .10 raise required by everyone, it won't take long for people to bow out or go broke. :D
And it would provide an urgency to rebid sooner. I raise to 18.7, someone else raises to 18.8, I will raise again to 18.9 because if I wait 5 hours, the other 4 guys may have it bumped up to 19.5
danielz

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Even though I made a different suggestion originally, I think it is fine to start with the top bid.
kimkrichbaum2

Re: How about this?

Postby hackra » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 pm

This seems to be what is most acceptable so far.
Here is what I would propose, and I would still like to hear if anyone would object.

A closed/open auction

1) we start with closed bidding as in the current auction ($80/$200 format)

1a) we randomize for divisions prior to the auction (but pick unique parks afterwards based on reverse order of team salary as before).

2) If the top bid is more than 10.00% higher than the field, or there is only an opening bid (11 passes), there is no open auction, the player is won outright.

3) If a player is not won outright, there is an open auction for that player involving the top bidder, the manager(s) with the next highest bid, AND ALSO any manager who is within 10.00% of the top bid.

4) the open auction will start at the top bid with the top bidder assumed to have started the open auction at that price.

5) the top bidder in the closed auction will name a new player for the closed auction once the open auction is announced

6) We will revert to an all closed auction once the 200th player in the auction is nominated

The open auction rules will be - all participants must respond by bidding or dropping out within 24 hours of any opening or new bid. (once you drop out, you may not reenter). all bids must be at least $0.10 million higher than the prior bid. (The top bidder has the opening bid, so does NOT have the option to drop out prior to the start of bidding). Obviously you may up the bid by more than $0.10 million if you wish.

There would be a separate message thread for open auctions, but when an open auction is won, the winner should announce the winning price on the closed auction bidding thread.

Each manager would need to be vigilant about knowing how much money they have to spend, as it will be assumed that your last bid in any open auction may win, and that money will be tied up until the open auction is complete (I can see the possibility that managers would have to drop out of the open auction due to lack of funds).

once we can agree on a ruleset, perhaps we can start signups.

This will be a DH league (not even miduar wanted pitchers batting)

Also will interested managers please post their preference for
25 man rosters or allowing up to 28 man rosters (assuming you save some bidding cash and cap room for the extra 1-3 players) ......so far we are split on this one with 3 for 25 only (miduar, daniel and joe) 3 for up to 28 (hackra, litangel and Max) and 2 no clear preference (carr20, DOHowser)

please keep the comments coming

thanks,
Rick
8-)
Last edited by hackra on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hackra

Postby DOHowser1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:45 pm

DH - absolutely

Roster size - no preference

Multiple CF'ers - :wink:
DOHowser1

Postby MIKEARCHAMBAULT » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:56 pm

I'll change my choice to a 25 man roster. What if two or more identical closed bids occur on the same player?
MIKEARCHAMBAULT

Postby hackra » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:07 pm

[quote:d0da5b7b89="miduar"]I'll change my choice to a 25 man roster. What if two or more identical closed bids occur on the same player?[/quote:d0da5b7b89]

Good question!
I would say that if there is a tie for top bid while the open auction is going, the person who got there bid in first would get to name the next nominee and would be assumed to have the top bid at the tied price in the open auction.

The person taking the closed bids would need to announce who that was when they announced the open auction and it's participants.

If we are in the last 100 players, then we would follow the prior tiebreaker rules (see the copy on the first page of this thread)
hackra

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:11 pm

I believe #2 and #3 need to have a decimal point added. They both state 10%. If my bid is 10.4% below the top bid, do I get into the open auction?
JOSEPHKENDALL

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat