ATG 6 auction league: Chat thread

Are you interested in participating in an ATG6 auction when the set becomes available?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Total votes : 0

Postby gorshar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:38 pm

I've worked through auctions with newborns....

The only thing I couldn't do was continue with a live draft when my wife went into labor - had to leave after the third round... HAL did the rest and the team made it to the finals.

As for the new auction, I'm fine with it, as is. I'm always up to play Halle's Berry.
gorshar

Postby DHowser » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:31 am

[quote:894016a0ce="Palanion"]This sounds fascinating. I wish I had the time to participate in this one. Though I will not be involved, I want to say that the closed/open concept seems really cool; I think it adds another whole strategic element. And I like the pre-auction divisional alignment. And I like the open auction tie-breaker idea, too.
Oh well... T-minus 3 weeks (or less) and counting for the arrival of a baby girl!

I've been watching the current auction too when I have a spare minute (not many of them around though). I have just ONE question:
Buck - I know you love centerfielders, so are you going to play Fred Lynn at 1b or 3b, Brett Butler at 2b or C, and Bob Dernier at ss? Just wondering. :P

Have fun guys![/quote:894016a0ce]

Damn! Even spectators know about Bucks CFs. Good luck with the baby Bill, and hope to at least see you in the 2nd ATG6 auction. Hopefully we'll have all the kinks worked out for you by then!
DHowser

PKB's Preferences

Postby PotKettleBlack » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:45 pm

DH - No strong feelings either way (not old enough to remember a time without DH, but versed enough to not really like it that much)

Roster size: Mild preference for 28 over 25, with a min of 25, but not earthsharking either way.

Pre-drafting stadiums: Strong opinion against. Reason stated before, but your ability to work a strategy for a park in the draft is limited. If we pick parks early, I'm in, but will put on my MBA/Quant hat and really put the screws down (to the massive annoyance of my wife, my customers at work, and probably the General Services Administration, as I'm about to start a project for them any week now).

Open Auction: Should really only happen (IMO) when folks are close. Situations highlighted before work on a fixed number of top bidders, but really, the 10% or the $.50 serve to keep it tight rather than a fixed number. Tight is the key. Closed bid forces a rigor in valuation and opposition research, especially in the early-middle rounds. I like the rigor... But again, I'm relatively new to the crew, so am cool with whatever. Still in the learn phase.

PS- since everyone else seems to know everyone else's real name, and I think people calling me Pot or PKB is kinda weird... it's Max.
PotKettleBlack

Sign in (November and ATG6 is coming soon)

Postby hackra » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:08 am

Sign in for Inaugural ATG6 Auction League

Rules: ATG6, DH, unique ballparks.

Closed and open combination auction

Bidding: You have $80 mil. to bid with and the total value of your roster is not to exceed $200 mill in Strat/SOM dollars. Bidding works like this:

All players will be nominated into a closed bid auction. A player is nominated with a minimum bid posted to this board. The minimum bid must be at least $0.5 mil. or 10% of the player's highest Strat value, whichever is greatest. The remaining 11 managers will PM a higher bid or a pass to the owner. Bids are made in increments of $10K (not $100K as in other auctions). Example, Ruth is nominated at 11.5 million. You can bid 12.5, 12.55, but not 12.555.

After all eleven owners have sent their bids (or 24 hours elapses) the nominating owner will post all the bids and announce the top bidder and price. The owner with the top bid then makes the next nomination. The nominating manager may not pass. (So do not nominate someone you do not want to risk taking on your team). Hitters are followed by hitters, pitchers are followed by pitchers.

The first 200 players nominated will be subject to a subsequent open auction. (We will revert to an all closed auction once the 200th player in the auction is nominated)

:arrow: If the top bid is more than 10.00% higher than the field, or there is only an opening bid (11 passes), there is no open auction, the player is won outright.

:arrow: If a player is not won outright, there is an open auction for that player involving the top bidder and all owners who bid within 10.00% of the top bid.

:arrow: The open auction will start at the top bid with the top bidder assumed to have started the open auction at that price.

again, the top bidder in the closed auction will name a new player for the closed auction once the open auction is announced

Regarding the closed auction:
If you place an invalid bid, i.e. more than you can afford, the bid is ignored and the nominating owner who received your bid is not obligated to tell you your bid is no good, but it's always nice to do so, anyway. (You may correct such a misbid if you do so prior to the close of the auction)

In the event of a tie (pertinent to players nominated after the first 200) :
If there is a tie, this is announced, and the tied owners will enter an open auction as noted above. (for the last 100 players, a new nomination will need to wait until the tie is resolved)

Once a roster is filled (pitcher or hitter), the nomination will slide to the next owner on the list using the order from the initial sign-up randomizer:

Managers are expected to be available to check in and bid at least once every 24 hours.

Please be aware that you have $80 mill to bid with, but you have $200 mill of Strat value to fill your roster. Please be sure you are clear with this rule as some first time players have really screwed themselves up by thinking they had $200 mill to bid with.

Needless to say, integrity is essential to this auction.

Rosters must conform to ATG 5 draft regulations.
Each owner will draft 15 hitters and 10 pitchers.
:arrow: Rosters will be limited to 25 players. (there was no consensus on this, so we will stick with 25 only)

For players with multiple cards, the highest valued card will be used against your $200 mill, though once play begins you can use any card you want and may even swap cards midseason.

Once the auction is finished there is no trading or free agent drops/picks. What you draft is what you get, except for making swaps between different cards of the same player.

Stadiums - will not be part of the auction. At the end of the auction we will draft unique parks. The order will be determined by the total SOM/Strat value of your final roster from low to high.

Once we have 12 managers signed up, we will we randomize for divisions prior to the auction.

The owners that end up with randomizer numbers 1,2,3 and 4 will be in the east,
5,6,7 and 8 the Central, and 9,10,11 and 12 the west.

The owners that end up with randomizer numbers 1,2 and 3 will start the nominations with one hitter each (they may start with any hitter they like). The owners that end up with randomizer number 4 and 5 will nominate one pitcher each (again any pitcher they like).

The open auction rules will be - all participants must respond by bidding or dropping out within 24 hours of any opening or new bid. (once you drop out, you may not reenter). all bids must be at least $0.10 million higher than the prior bid. (The top bidder has the opening bid, so does NOT have the option to drop out prior to the start of bidding). Obviously you may up the bid by more than $0.10 million if you wish.

There would be a separate message thread for open auctions, but when an open auction is won, the winner should announce the winning price on the closed auction bidding thread.

Each manager would need to be vigilant about knowing how much money they have to spend, as it will be assumed that your last bid in any open auction may win, and that money will be tied up until the open auction is complete (I can see the possibility that managers would have to drop out of the open auction due to lack of funds).

Please sign in and ask any questions or bring up any other issues that need clarification 8-)

Sign in please (the order below is the orderof response on this message)
1) hackra - IN
2) gorshar
3) litangel
4) jet40
5) carr20
6) ironwill1
7) DOHowser
8) joekendall
9) danielz
10) DHowser
11) PotKettleBlack
12) miduar

alternates?
hackra

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:12 am

One detail about open auctions that needs clarification. I assume that once a bid has not been raised for 24 hours, that owner can claim. Is this accurate?

Sign in please (the order below is the order of response on this message)
1) hackra - IN
2) gorshar
3) litangel IN
4) jet40
5) carr20
6) ironwill1
7) DOHowser
8) joekendall
9) danielz
10) DHowser
11) PotKettleBlack
12) miduar

alternates?
kimkrichbaum2

Postby gorshar » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:27 am

1) hackra - IN
2) gorshar - IN
3) litangel IN
4) jet40
5) carr20
6) ironwill1
7) DOHowser
8) joekendall
9) danielz
10) DHowser
11) PotKettleBlack
12) miduar

alternates?
gorshar

Postby jet40 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:35 am

1) hackra - IN
2) gorshar - IN
3) litangel IN
4) jet40 - IN
5) carr20
6) ironwill1
7) DOHowser
8) joekendall
9) danielz
10) DHowser
11) PotKettleBlack
12) miduar

alternates?
jet40

Postby ironwill1 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:46 am

1) hackra - IN
2) gorshar - IN
3) litangel IN
4) jet40 - IN
5) ironwill1 - IN
6) carr20
7) DOHowser
8) joekendall
9) danielz
10) DHowser
11) PotKettleBlack
12) miduar

alternates?
ironwill1

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 am

1) hackra - IN
2) gorshar - IN
3) litangel IN
4) jet40 - IN
5) ironwill1 - IN
6) carr20
7) DOHowser
8) joekendall - IN
9) danielz
10) DHowser
11) PotKettleBlack
12) miduar

alternates?
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby PotKettleBlack » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 am

[quote:05c66bec90="joekendall"]Sign in please (the order below is the order of response on this message)
1) hackra - IN
2) gorshar - IN
3) litangel IN
4) jet40 - IN
5) ironwill1 - IN
6) carr20
7) DOHowser
8) joekendall - IN
9) danielz
10) DHowser
11) PotKettleBlack - IN
12) miduar