$60M All Lefty Pitching League

Where's the commish?

Postby BDWard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Most of us can tolerate a delay if for a good reason. Some obviously tolerate it better than others.

Hopefully there is a good reason for this delay in the draft.

There are at least 10 managers completely in the dark here, assuming that the commish and errormagnate know what's going on.

What is less tolerable is being kept uninformed. Hey commish, how about stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing by letting us know the reason for the delay and when the situation is likely to be resolved so that we can move forward.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation. - Bernie W
BDWard

Postby BobBoone » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey all!

I just phoned the Commish (he is my nephew). He had turned the clock back on, but it failed to work. He admits that it was likely his fault and apologizes for the delay. Please continue from this point. He had indeed turned if off to protect people from losing their picks while the Strat site was down yesterday.

Thx for your patience, Jon.
BobBoone

No good deed goes unpunished

Postby BDWard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Well, since the clock was supposedly turned back on, I'm in the same position I was yesterday, which gives me an opportunity to make my pick, since errormagnate ran out of time without making a pick. Once again, I refrained from making my pick to give errormagnate a chance to make his expired pick first.

Then the Diamond Dope site went down.

As of this writing, it's been down on Wednesday from about 1:45 P.M. to 3:25 P.M. and counting Central Time. I can't get in to make my pick. Moreover, when the site comes back up, I'll have no idea where I am on the clock.

Is someone sticking pins in the league voodoo doll? Look up Murphy's Law, being anything that can go wrong will, in the dictionary and you'll see our league draft, frozen in time on the 10th pick in round 13.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Apparently, no good deed goes unpunished. - Bernie W
BDWard

Postby alvarndc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 am

Is there any update as to the situation with the draft??

At this point, we need to hustle a little to get finished and loaded by tomorrow night.
alvarndc

Postby Goreds54 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 am

This draft is like the twilight zone. The clock will need to be turned on so that I will be able to skip nels52 and get this thing rolling again. Who knows what happened to errormangate? I can hear that tune from the twilight zone playing in my head.
Goreds54

Postby alvarndc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:40 am

[quote:44da813aa2="errormagnate"][quote:44da813aa2="Goreds"]I always get frustrated doing these live drafts. Something inside of me makes me not want other people having to wait on me or to be inconvenienced by my actions. So I always check the draft status every hour or two and if I'm going to be away from computer for an extended period time I always set proxies. I guess I must be anal or something because evidently most people don't have these same feelings.[/quote:44da813aa2]

You are not alone I have those same feelings magnified ten-fold and my impatience with slow drafters is legendary. I am trying (insert hysterical laughter and grinding of teeth) to not react as much as I have in the past but every time I check and see it stuck on the same name time after time after time, you would NOT want to check my BP nor ask what I really thought, lol.

Ommm Ommmm Ommm, find your center grasshopper![/quote:44da813aa2]

It is VERY strange for someone who wrote this JUST less than a week ago to all of a sudden be essentially MIA.

Are we SURE nothing bad happened???

Commish?
alvarndc

Postby thetallguy747 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:20 pm

What's the procedure after we draft ball parks? Do we just fill in the rest of our roster then go through a normal waiver & drop/add process?

Thanks

Kevin A
thetallguy747

There's a problem here

Postby BDWard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:43 am

Kevin: I asked the same question prior to the start of the league. The commish said that after division assignments are made that we would fill out our auto draft list with the players we drafted and 10 more players. I don't think that the league has been created yet.

The player draft was on schedule to finish tonight, but the clock was again stopped with no explanation whatsoever. This is getting a bit tiresome.

This league had a lot of promise but keeping us all in the dark is no way to run a league.

Unfortunately, the league has other problems besides a woeful lack of communication. Errormagnate is MIA. As previously noted, I sent him a PM on Tuesday about his draft pick being due. I also sent him a message Thursday afternoon through league email for a league I am in with him. Neither message has received a response.

As I noted in an earlier post, I think errormagnate anticipated possibly being away, as all of his picks have been proxy picks, with the last 4, starting in round 9 being, well, somewhat odd. (Dave Hamilton $.54 mil, round 9; Randy Lerch, $.50 mil, round 10; David Clyde, $.50 mil, round 11; Jim Mooney, $.50 mil, round 12) I think he knew that he would be away, didn't want to hold up the draft, so he proxied every pick, got to the bottom of the proxy barrel (which explains the odd picks) and finally ran out of proxy picks, which explains why he made no picks in rounds 13, 14 & 15.

From what I understand, this is extremely unlike errormagnate.

Although I hate to engage in idle speculation, I think it would be a good idea for people to start considering a solution if errormagnate, for whatever reason(s), fails to return to the league.

Giving the difficulty we had filling this league, it would be unrealistic and unfair to expect anyone to take his team, given that picks 9-12 were botched and that there were no picks made with his final 3 picks.

Yet, it would also be unfair to hold a complete redraft.

Perhaps the most fair thing to do to attract another manager or if errormagnate returns with an explanation for his absence is to redraft starting with errormagnate's 9th round pick and permit managers to change their picks thereafter only if the player they originally drafted becomes unavailable.

I know it isn't ideal, but it seems like a fair solution short of an entire redraft.

Any other ideas?

All I know is that I'm printing the draft and advise everyone else to do so. - Bernie W
BDWard

Postby thetallguy747 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:51 am

Quick message from iPhone. Big earthquake and tsunami here today. All power out. Please forgive, will check back when possible.
thetallguy747

Postby Goreds54 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 am

Considering what is going on with thetallguy and errormagnate maybe we should wait a couple of days and see if there is any news. There is no way we could get all the teams loaded in the right division by tonight anyway.
Goreds54

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat