Old League Games II

Postby ArtemusRex » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:10 pm

LOL keyzick. Yeah, 2001 is damn quirky when you can't curb Hal's enthusiasm with the individual settings. But, this is why I like this set. Yes there are bargains to be had but in some cases you just HAVE to spend money in places you normally wouldn't in other games. Player prices are so out of whack that it made TSN reevaluate its pricing in later sets. I'm pretty decent at this set with many playoff appearances in over 20 seasons but no ring yet. Last year I had 108 regular season wins only to lose game 7 of the series to JKolak. But then again that not the first time he's spoiled my season (or any other manager in this set for that matter). But he's not here so I'm hungry in shaking my Atlanta Braves of 2001 moniker. I did win my first 2003 title last year in Old Leagues I so I am more than capable.

Keyzick, interesting team. I'm not one to predict though in this set you do need a big player or two for some extra punch. Speaking of which, there is a team in my division that has Bonds and Sosa in Coors. Yowza! Anyway, here is my team and starting line up. Pound for pound, I like my team coming out of Old Yankee Stadium. What'dya think?

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2001/team/team_other.html?user_id=31758

Lineup vs. RHP
1. Rollins, Jimmy (S) SS
2. Abreu, Bobby (L) RF
3. Boone, Bret (R) 2B
4. Floyd, Cliff (L) LF
5. Guerrero, Vladimir (R) DH
6. Martinez, Tino (L) 1B
7. Paquette, Craig (R) 3B
8. Finley, Steve (L) CF
9. Diaz, Einar (R) C
ArtemusRex

Advice

Postby Coffeeholic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Well, I guess the real down-side to not drafting Friday night is that I've got a whole extra week now to stare at my team, make changes, and totally screw up my roster. :oops:

Hey guys, since this is a tournament, whadda ya say we keep the advice to a minimum. Last year we did pre-season predictions, which was a blast, but we kept from posting these until the season actuall began so that managers couldn't make changes based upon this without incurring the 20% salary hit.

I'm pretty up to speed on the 2002 and 2003 games, so I'll volunteer to do these season's predictions. Any volunteers for the other seasons?
Coffeeholic

Postby gross54 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 pm

I will do 2004...After JKolak's predictions last year I will not feel bad if I am way off. :D
gross54

Postby gross54 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:09 pm

hey Artie..I am the man with Bonds and Sosa. I dont think my team is all that great. But it will be fun to see if Bonds can hit 90dingers in a league with 3 Coors fields.
gross54

First Strat Team

Postby gross54 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:12 pm

Since we have some time to kill I was wondering when you all started playing strat online and how was your first team? This is my first team, 2003 Coors Bonds was the steroid bomb!!!

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2003/team/team_other.html?user_id=122870
gross54

Postby keyzick » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:11 pm

This was my first team ever...2002 season...actually beat Bernie for the Championship!

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2002/playoffs/team_other.html?user_id=930&stats=sim
keyzick

Postby Coffeeholic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:09 pm

Those are some pretty impressive first teams boys! :shock:

My first team was supposed to be a "beefed-up" Montreal Expos squad. I had absolutely no idea that this game was so competitive.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2002/team/team_other.html?user_id=7563

Of course, as my team dropped into last place, I began making way too many add/drops... think my final salary was around $70mil.

:oops:
Coffeeholic

this was my first 2001 team pretty bad

Postby bomberny50 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:14 pm

and i noticed its the same ballpark i'm going with now, think ki'm in trouble

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2001/playoffs/team.html?stats=sim
bomberny50

Postby keyzick » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:42 am

Yeah, I'm pretty much sitting on my hands all week for this 2001 team.

The cards, pricing, and HAL seem to be so different from today's versions, that I'm taking the "go with my initial instincts" tactic. Figure if I overthink it, I'll screw my team up even worse.

Oh well...opening night in 3 days!
keyzick

PREDICTIONS

Postby Jeepdriver » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:41 am

ok, for Coffee I will try my hand at predictions. Please no one take offese, these are not scientific predictions by any means, just a "feel" for what I think after glancing at the teams. In fact, I was looking only at team name when I did this, I had no idea who the Manager was when I jotted down my notes. Furthermore I'm not commenting in any detail per Coffee's wishes about not helping teams. So all predictions are general in nature.

EAST
[b:a6690d8b30]1. Ugly Mugs -[/b:a6690d8b30] what can I say, I like my team. Solid offensively, defensively, I just need some cheap pitchers to not blow completely up.
2. Yankees Win - I like this team. Some good values which is a must in '01. Will challenge for the WC, but fall just short I think.
3. Ambushers - I have them in this spot. No reasons other than what I think after looking at team make-up, etc.
4. Numray - Still over 2 million in reserve. Will be hard pressed to get into the top of this Division.

CENTRAL
[b:a6690d8b30]1. Red Tide -[/b:a6690d8b30] Best discription of this squad, it's "my kind of team." IOW, they remind me of teams I put together.
[b:a6690d8b30]2. High Honors -[/b:a6690d8b30] I like this team. Some good value/bargain players. This is the WC team IMO.
3. Astros - Not a bad little team here. They will finish over .500, but find themselves in what I think is the toughest Division.
4. Olds League - Again, the tough Division hampers this team's progress.

WEST
[b:a6690d8b30]1. les Expos -[/b:a6690d8b30] Good team. Obviously the GM here knows how to put together an '01 team.
2. Damn Yankees - Good team, will definitely challenge for the Division and WC. I have them losing out on the final night of play, it'll be that close.
3. Ishtar - I very well could be wrong, but I think the Coors teams will be out of the running in this Division. A word of caution, however: I'm not good at anaylizing Coors teams so I could be dead wrong.
4. Red Heads - They have Bonds and Sosa. But, can they keep the opposition from scoring. Again, I could be wrong, but I see them losing a lot of 16-12 games.

Playoffs:
[u:a6690d8b30]Semis[/u:a6690d8b30] - Red Tide and High Honors continue their Division rivalry in the first round. Because it almost always happens I'll predict the WC team will win in 5 games. High Honors advances.

[u:a6690d8b30]Other Semis[/u:a6690d8b30]: Expos over the Ugly Mugs.

[u:a6690d8b30]Finals:[/u:a6690d8b30] Tough call, but I'm going to say High Honors continues their momentum and edges les Expos in a thrilling 7 game series.

There you go. Please no one take offense, I was just providing some fun for Coffee and everyone.
Last edited by Jeepdriver on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepdriver

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat