$60M All Lefty Pitching League

Postby thetallguy747 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Bernie,

I just just posted on FB. I also managed to reach my brother back in Missouri and he's going to help out with the phone chain to all my relatives back in the hills.

I'm chewing up a big wad of bubble gum and plan to drive over to Fukushima and stick on the side of that nuclear reactor first thing in the morning. Then we won't have to worry about that.

Did I say already? I love you guys!!!

Kevin A
thetallguy747

Postby thetallguy747 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:14 pm

P.S. Bernie, how can I pick a park when you just took the one I was going to use?!!

LOL

Kevin A
thetallguy747

Gotcha!

Postby BDWard » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Kevin:

I only took it 'cause I figured you had your eye on it. :wink:

Haven't I heard something similar to that before?!

Let's trade stadiums, Scott and Garcia and call it even! You get no break for the quake!

Actually, I had Minute Maid as my first choice, but DonFESQ grabbed it. More proof that demented minds think alike! :D

Don pretty much forecasted that he liked Minute Maid in another thread, so no surprise that he took it.

With a +2 arm at catcher, I thought there was a chance that he would consider a high HR low on base park to help keep the rabbits off base.

With only one team with more than 1 lefty hitter in the starting lineup, the battle won't be lefty park vs. righty park, but will be who is best at keeping opponents' players off base when the ball is hit into the next county.

It should be interesting. - Bernie W
BDWard

Postby joeoc » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Pardon the interruption, BobBoone (Jon) please check-in on SBDL Chat Thread here on ILC if you're returning or not for a new season.

Thanks
joeoc

Postby Goreds54 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:01 am

Good to hear from you thetallguy. Like most everyone else, I have been watching it on television and my heart and prayers go out to the Japanese people.
Goreds54

Postby thetallguy747 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:50 am

OK Bernie -- you get your Wrigley I get my Scott. LOL I think Mr. ESQ is planning on washing us away with his own tsunami offense. Actually, I was thinking pretty hard about using SBC or maybe even Forbes 57. I even toyed with Petco. Being new to this concept, I had nothing to go on -- but I was figuring only one or two managers would go for power parks. I think I outguessed myself. :lol:
thetallguy747

Let's move forward

Postby BDWard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:43 am

OK, everyone has picked a stadium except errormagnate. Does anyone have any idea what has happened to him?

No one has heard from errormagnate since he posted in this thread on March 4 complaining about those who slow down league progress. As alvarndc so astutely noted in his March 10 post, to disappear without a trace and to leave 11 other league members hanging is inconsistent with complaints about those who slow down leagues. In other words, it's highly doubtful that errormagnate voluntarily walked away from this league.

Let's face it, for whatever reason, it is highly unlikely that errormagnate will return. Looking at the bigger picture, let's hope that he is OK.

Given the unlikelihood of a return by errormagnate, the league faces some tough decisions. These are the choices as I see them:

1. Disband/walk away.

2. Seek another manager.

Since we have 11 managers on board with a couple of weeks of time invested resulting in 11 60% complete teams and stadiums, disbanding does not seem like a practical solution. So, assuming that we seek another manager, we must decide the terms under which another manager will be recruited. These are the choices:

A. Complete redraft once the new manager joins.

B. Partial redraft once the new manager joins, beginning with errormagnate's pick in round 9, as that is where his proxy picks ran thin and started to get odd.

C. Partial redraft, once the new manager joins, beginning with errormagnate's round 13 unmade pick.

D. Have the commissioner and/or a responsible league member make errormagnate's unmade picks for rounds 13, 14 & 15 and pick a stadium, with the new manager making the 10 autodraft picks.

E. Let the new manager make the picks for rounds 9, 10, 11, 12 and/or 13, 14, 15 & 16 from the available players and stadiums, along with the 10 autodraft picks.

I agree with Pete (PJK) that we must carefully decide how to proceed, as we don't want to have an extremely weak team skewing the records of other teams in the same division. Regardless of who manages it, as Pete noted, it is important to get errormagnate's team up to speed before the talent pool gets even thinner. Also, the chances of recruiting a new manager will be enhanced by giving the new manager as much input as possible ASAP in building the team.

While it is still early and we are all basking in the glow of optimism over our partially drafted teams, it matters little how good our teams are if we can't get a 12th manager. Although we all like a challenge, NO ONE will want to spend their hard earned credits or cash to join our league and manage a sure loser, which is what errormagnate's team will be without a redraft from his 9th round pick on down or if players are drafted or assigned to his team for rounds 13, 14 and 15.

We must balance our desire to keep our drafted teams intact against the decreased likelihood of attracting another manager if all we can offer is a team where the last 4 picks were badly botched and leftovers for the three unmade picks.

Therefore, I'm suggesting that we go with option B, the partial redraft beginning with errormagnate's 9th round pick, with the caveat that all managers must make the same draft picks if the player they originally picked in that round remains available in the partial redraft. Not only does such an approach guarantee all managers that a majority of their drafted team will be retained, but, short of a complete redraft, it also gives the league the best opportunity to attract a replacement manager and assure competitive balance.

It's Sunday, where presumably we all have a little more time to think this over and respond. Please weigh in with your preferences today so that the commissioner can make a decision and the league can seek a new manager before more terrible luck hits the league. - Bernie W
BDWard

Postby DonFESQ » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 pm

not willing to do any redrafting. Either errormagnate comes back and makes his picks, replacement makes the picks or if we can't get either we disband. I'm not going to participate in a redraft so if that's how the vote goes, go ahead and look for two replacements.
DonFESQ

Postby dinsdale » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Error magnate did post on March 10 that he would not have access for a few days, so I believe everything will get resolved next week. Patience.....
dinsdale

Postby thetallguy747 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:44 pm

As a last resort -- and I do mean "last" -- my wife has offered to take over errormagnate's team. She is a rabid baseball fan and plays SOM on occasion. She does not like to be in leagues with me because she doesn't like it when I beat her. (Her father was an Air Force pilot in Vietnam -- she gets it from him. LOL) She would have minimal time to manage the team, but also would not neglect it.

I support any option short of disbanding the league. I mean, I survived a natural disaster to see this league through! LOL

Kevin A
thetallguy747

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat