What combination is better in Petco?

Postby LMBombers » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 am

With 7 PETCO/Kaufman stadiums in the league how could Figgins go undrafted? :?

There is nothing wrong with playing ARod at 3B. I would put in a waiver request for Figgins dropping Vizquel. If you get him move ARod to SS.

Personally I don't think Jason Bay is worth his salary except in a HR park. Look at his card again and just imagine the # symbols being outs. You are then paying 10M for someone who only walks. You need base hits in PETCO instead of walks. Walks are more useful if the person batting behind you could hit a HR, otherwise you need base hits to move runners around the bases.

You need a C to platoon with Zahn.

Schilling/Hernandez/Milton - drop two of them and get a closer. I'm sure Wickman is gone but check out Dingman and Rodney. They are a great matched pair to close with. Guardado or Timlin might do fine too.
LMBombers

Postby Stoney18 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:57 am

Aray, interesting dilemma.

I'd probably get Figgins. His SB will help a lot with all the pitchers parks you've got.
Stoney18

Re: What combination is better in Petco?

Postby markp65 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 am

[quote:fc102f8adc="Aray0113"]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2006/team/team_other.html?user_id=11994

The dilemna: I got both A-Rod and Vizquel in the draft; however, Figgins, Mueller and Glaus are among the 3B that are available in waivers. Would I be better served by keeping what I have and using A-Rod at 3B (which would be a first for me), or trading/dropping Viz for one of those three 3B?[/quote:fc102f8adc]

Normally, I'd call anyone crazy for playing 2006 ARod at 3B, but Vizquel is so nice in your park, PLUS you can efffectively prevent another team from having one of the top-value top-defense SS by keeping and playing them both. Glaus would be terrible in your park (BPHR, terrible D) and the other two wouldn't bring you much more offense at 3B than Vizquel does at SS. I'd stand pat at SS/3B.

I don't like your SP for Petco, especially in light of your divisional foes and overall league makeup. Waaaay too many base hits/on base. With the unique way your league is skewed towards pitchers' parks, Elarton and Radke could win 20 games each for you!
markp65

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:43 pm

You have a team set-up that I don't like for Petco, with all that struggling, but it's only a guess from my part, I hope for you that it would work fine.

One thing I would advise you to do, however, is to get rid of one of your SP, alternate between Schilling/Hernandez/Milton for that 4th spot, and get yourself another reliever. Then, with three quality relievers, you will be able to have a more agressive approach with your bullpen.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby SCOTTBROWN » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:16 pm

Yea, I agree w/ LM, Bay isn't a good fit for your park.
SCOTTBROWN

approach at PetCo

Postby PAULMINICUCCI » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:34 pm

I take a dramatically different appraoch at PetCo. I go first for defense. I use every available draft choice to gather up as amny number one defensive people as possible. Secodn I go for offense. I do like guys with high OBP but I try and land a couple of legit power guys. This takes up most of the money. Guys like Lee and A-Rod are golden. I try for Castillo, Lee, Chavez, Crawford, Ichiro and Varitek. Varitek has proven to be a key.

Then I go for relievers and finally I use up dollars finding guys with relatively low WHIP. They often have high ERA's because of too many BP HRs but I figure you gotta dominate at PetCo.

I have used this six times, the first five have made it to playoffs. I have a champion team that I will show you.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2006/playoffs/team.html?stats=sim

You'll notice that I almost got 200 HRs at PetCo and while I won the pitching war, it was my middle of the pack standing in hitting that was remarkable. So, it is hard to plan and execute but it can work. This is counter to the general thinking that you load up on starters like Santana and try and bottle up the opposition. I think that defense and offense are more important than pitching. But hey there is more than one way to skin a cat. I hesitated to write this because you won't be able to use the strategy here, the necessary players are long gone.

But you have some pieces.
PAULMINICUCCI

Postby visick » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:36 am

Link doesn't work Sac.
visick

Return to Strategy