HAL, why PH for Youkilis with Blum?

HAL, why PH for Youkilis with Blum?

Postby UrbanShockers » Fri May 12, 2006 11:08 am

Eighth inning, RHP, Youk's my #2 hitter, Blum's my multi-position cheap bench guy. Now, Youk's a 1L and Blum's a 2R, but I still don't get this move. If Blum's better than Youk v. RHP (which I don't believe), I woulda thought HAL would have PH for him a few times by now, but so far as I've noticed this is the first.

Am I overlooking something about this situation that makes sense of HAL's decision?

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2006/league/boxscore.html?group_id=821&g_id=447
UrbanShockers

Postby markp65 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Shock - I think you're on to it. What are your individual settings looking like for those two players?
markp65

Postby UrbanShockers » Wed May 17, 2006 12:15 pm

I have 'em both on don't: (i) steal, (ii) bunt or (iii) H&R, no other settings checked. No relevant, I think, in my manager settings. I think I'll check "Don't PH" for Youk vs. L and R. I hadn't thought to bother, 'cause it didn't seem that there would be a reason I'd need it, with my bench.

Thanks for your input.
UrbanShockers

Postby childsmwc » Thu May 18, 2006 11:05 am

With Scott Munter pitching Geoff Blum actually has more combined on base chances batting left handed than Youkalis does batting Right handed. Scott Munter's card was factored into the decision process and he gives up approximately 18 more on base chances against left handers.

The difference between Youkalis and Blum on their own cards versus right handers is about 15, so HAL was going for those 3 extra OBP chances using Blum.

Bbrool
childsmwc

Postby childsmwc » Thu May 18, 2006 11:11 am

Now the real question that I have is why would Munter be brought in after Francisco Rodriguez had only thrown to one batter. There is no combination that I can see that would make Munter the better pitcher.

My guess is that this is one of those situations where someone checked don't use before the 8th inning to limit Munter's innings, and HAL interprets that to mean you want him pitching the 8th inning as set up in close games. It appears to me that HAL might be using the boxes checked on the pitchers cards to override the manager settings. My guess is that Rodriguez is probably on the manager settings as the set up man. This is the reason I do not check don't use before the 8th inning, to limit my bad pitchers anymore.

Bbrool
childsmwc

Pardon the Interruption

Postby The Biomechanical Man » Mon May 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Bbrool - it's your turn to draft in the 1969 COMBO theme league.
The Biomechanical Man

Postby UrbanShockers » Fri May 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks, Bbrool. That makes sense; though I wouldn't have made the move myself, it's nice to know there's some decent rationale behind it.
UrbanShockers

Return to Strategy