The three LHB:
DH- Abreu
1B- Helton
3B - Blalock

The three RHB:
RF- Vlad Guerrero
SS- K. Greene
CF- Juan Rivera

-I Know you said the RHB are even and the ones I posted are not quite what you described, but I'm writing off the top of my head now-

In the case above it makes sense IMO to throw a LHP 3R or 4R. Sure you turn the switchers to the BP strength...but towards their weak sides and to the pitcher's strong side.

The reason why I say I consider lineups in the context of BP as opposed to the other way around is because first I like to minimize the number of direct hits If yor throw a L 8R vs. a lineup full of lefties that can hit OK vs LHPs, IMO it is likely the pitcher will get lit even if the BP is tough on lefties...becuse of the direct hits.

If you turn a SH towards the BP strength...but also towrads his W side (as opposed to N) then it's really academic if the BPHR rating is high or low.

But maybe I'm mistaken.
cummings2

Postby Mean Dean » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:18 pm

I dunno the answer off the top of my head, but the way to approach it would be to replicate what Diamond Dope does: figure out how many runs you'd expect that lineup to create vs. Johan Santana in MM, as opposed to vs. Pedro in MM, or whoever you're choosing between. You would want to do it in one fell swoop like that. It doesn't make sense to ask "play the lineup or the stadium?", because the strength of the lineup depends in part on the stadium effects, and how much the lineup is geared towards taking advantage of them. You'd be treating two things as separate that really aren't.
Mean Dean

Postby visick » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Maybe I'm not making myself totally clear here.

Do I:

A) Try to stop or neutralize the lesser # of power hitters

or

B) Try to stop or neutralize the greater # of non-BP dependant hitters
visick

Postby cummings2 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:22 am

by non-bp dependant hitters you mean hitters with direct hits?

-that's what I understand by that-... say like Tony Clark or do you mean like a W hitter with no BPHRs but perhaps a good average like Duffy?
cummings2

Postby visick » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:23 am

Either...
visick

Postby cummings2 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:12 am

Usually I'll opt for :

[i:063f8efd50]B) Try to stop or neutralize the greater # of non-BP dependant hitters[/i:063f8efd50]

-Sorry it's taken me all of this to understand the question :wink:
cummings2

Previous

Return to Strategy