Best setup man?

Best setup man?

Postby JEFFFESPERMAN » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:10 pm

I have Brad Lidge maximized as my closer both ways, but I am having difficulty getting HAL to properly use my other relievers: Giovanni Carrera (6L), Ray King (7L), Jay Witasik (9R) and Cal Eldred (1L). What would you do?
JEFFFESPERMAN

Postby visick » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:36 pm

Have HAL use Lidge till his cyber arm fell off. :shock:

When a RP can go 2 innings PLUS close games and cost $6 million dollars he better get used ALOT.

Carrara and King are similar lefty killers. You only need 1.

I'd setup AND close both ways with Brad.
visick

Postby Play By The Rules » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:27 pm

And TAKE IT OFF CLOSER MAX.

Closer max is for iffy R1 guys who you want only to pitch the 9th.
Play By The Rules

Postby tersignf » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:51 pm

socal--what about fatigue? Seems many have noticed reduced overall performance when getting up near 200 innings, or depending on pitches thrown if used 4 times in a 5 day period (2 on, 1 off, 2 on etc)
tersignf

Postby deeznuts515 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:36 pm

I haven't noticed that they get tired from 2 on 1 off etc... it's when they get left in too long because HAL can't bring anyone else in, and have to pitch after they are fatigued.

Calero did just fine for me in 188 innings here...

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=13526
deeznuts515

Postby the splinter » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:07 am

In Lidge's case it's a matter of fatigue schmatigue. A tired Lidge is better than most normal pitchers.
the splinter

Postby durantjerry » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:08 pm

PBTR, what did you mean about "Closer Max" being for iffy R1 guys you only want to use in the 9th? I thought it meant that it's more likely HAL will bring a closer in a closing situation.
durantjerry

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:12 pm

[quote:428ff3a72d]PBTR, what did you mean about "Closer Max" being for iffy R1 guys you only want to use in the 9th? I thought it meant that it's more likely HAL will bring a closer in a closing situation.[/quote:428ff3a72d]

You are correct. I think what PBTR means is that it seems well designed to "hide" guys that are good closers on one side (Mesa, Walker), so you can check their cards "do not appear before ninth inning", and closer max, and this will insure that they only appear in closer situations. Also saying that to have a guy like lidge as a closer only, when he is also an R2 is a waste of his talents. He should be pitching mostly in setup situations, and ending games. Remember, in the world of strat, a "closer situation" and a "save" are two distinctly different things. You can save a game without it being a closer situation. A closer situation in strat is defined as "a 1 run lead in the ninth inning"....so if you are ahead by two runs, it is the ninth inning, you have lidge as closer max, and you want lidge to come in as your "closer", it will not happen, because to SOM , this is not a closer situation....

not to put words in your mouth PBTR!! :wink:
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:19 pm

Also remember, that if lidge has pitched 2 innings, and in the ninth it becomes a "closer" situation (ie, you are only ahead by one run), the # of outs he has accumulated go against his closer rating. So, his C2 would be 0, since he has already pitched 6 outs....so he will be fatigued. That is why it is good to have a cheaper closer, to help finish up games in which guys like lidge become fatigued.

[quote:ade779c10b]28.33 If the pitcher begins his appearance with his regular POW and the game becomes a closer situation, he changes to his closer endurance rating. At that time, reduce his closer endurance by the number of outs he has already recorded. This number cannot be reduced to lower than 0, unless the pitcher's closer endurance is "N".

The closer endurance rating is the number of outs the pitcher can record before becoming fatigued. Once this number has been reached, reducing his endurance rating to 0, he becomes fatigued as soon as he allows a hit or walk.
[/quote:ade779c10b]
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:24 pm

[quote:c156c4b220]I haven't noticed that they get tired from 2 on 1 off etc... it's when they get left in too long because HAL can't bring anyone else in, and have to pitch after they are fatigued. [/quote:c156c4b220]

Actually, you will notice that relievers do not pitch more than 2 games in a row...

[quote:c156c4b220]27.63 The maximum number of innings a reliever can pitch without fatigue is his POW inning, plus 2.
27.64 Relief pitchers cannot be used more than two straight days. After pitching two straight days, he must rest at least one day.[/quote:c156c4b220]
MICHAELTARBELL

Next

Return to Strategy