Format for the Finals...Ideas? Discussion?

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Format for the Finals...Ideas? Discussion?

Postby maligned » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:04 am

Teepack or anyone else, what should we do for the finals format? Obviously, we can't do a live draft with Penn's site being down. I would propose something like the following:

1. 80M, DH, weighted waivers, advanced
2. Live draft 5 rounds here (4 players, one stadium)
3. Use a 12-hour, round-the-clock time limit on picks
4. Auto draft all other players.
5. Draft order reflects order of finish in the regular season. An odd number of rounds gives a bit of an advantage during the draft to the top finishers.
6. "Seed" the divisions (Regular season finishers 1,6,7,12 in the east; 2,5,8,11 in the central; 3,4,9,10 in the west)

Tee, did you have something else in mind?
maligned

Postby cminton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:06 pm

This is from the Tournament rules:

"III. Champions League

The top 12 ranked tournament managers will play in a year-end Champions League to determine the overall Champion. The format for the Champions League is: $80 million salary cap, DH, 18-round live draft, unique ballparks.

IX. Ballpark Requirement

Managers will be required to play in a different ballpark for each Event of the Tournament Schedule, INCLUDING the Championship League. You may not pick the same park twice. If you do pick a park that you have used before, you will be fined 25 points off your total. In addition, all leagues will require unique ballparks (i.e. two managers in the same league can’t use the same ballpark) with the exception of the two autodraft leagues."

I also see no reason to seed the teams. I think Teepack should draw random numbers for the draft order and then use the draft order to put us in divisions.
cminton

I like some of the ideas. . .

Postby mcsoupy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:24 pm

1. If the site is down, and I know the rules call for an 18 round draft, it really is cumbersome without the benefit of the penn's draft site. . . so I would recommend that we do a 9 round draft (cutting it in half), with still needing to have the unique stadium requirement (both in the finals, and that you have to use a unique stadium in all events).
2. I like the seeding scenario. . . and although I finished first, had I finished 12th, I still would say that the people should get rewarded for their play over the 6 or 7 seasons. . . vs going to a random draw
3. I also don't mind how maligned as divided the seedings into divisions. .. that sounds good to me as well.

When should we get started??? :)

mc
mcsoupy

Postby cminton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:33 pm

I would like to stick with an 18 round draft even without Penn's site. In the old days (when I walked five miles to school even when there was a blizzard) we did 18 round drafts on the boards. If we agree to be diligent, it won't be too onerous.

I don't really care that much about the draft order, but the rules didn't mention seeding based on the standings and, therefore, I did not know it mattered where I finished. I had 103.7 going into the 7th round. I could have easily sat out the last league if I knew that it mattered where in the top 12 I finished. In any case, whatever Teepack decides is fine with me.

I'm looking forward to this league.
cminton

Postby cummings2 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:45 pm

Slightly off topic but just in case any of the finalists wants to get a head start in homework:

My no-no parks:

1. Comerica
2. Ameriquest
3. Wrigley
4. McAfee / Oakland whatever its called
5. Yankee
6. SBC
7. Tropicana
cummings2

Postby maligned » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:49 pm

I guess I'm coming from a bit of a selfish spot, but three things come into play in my mind with not being in favor of an 18-round draft:

1.We've all drafted many times with the 2006 cards, and I'm not sure I have the patience to work through an 18-rounder the old fashioned way. I also definitely don't have the consistent time to do the 2-hour clock necessary to get through one when we have no way to set good proxies.

2.If time is an issue for others as it is for me, I feel comfortable with how an autodraft/waivers period for part of this league reflects part of our ability as players (filling out our draft cards strategically, making waiver requests strategically, etc.)

3.I will be away from home with very limited Internet access from January 12-27. If we're not finished, or close to finished with whatever draft system we use by then, I will need to forfeit my spot because I don't want to hold everyone else up.

With all of this said, the rules are the rules and I'll go with whatever people decide. I don't want to be the one to hold people up or change things that others are interested in doing.
maligned

Postby cminton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Maligned (and others),

My preference is for an 18 round draft, but I'm very flexible. I understand the time constraints. Let me know and I'll go with whatever.

The parks I've used: Petco, Turner, Dodger, RFK, US Cell, Coors Safeco.

Charlie
cminton

Postby stevep107 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:22 am

My parks used to date have been: PNC, Minute Maid, Wrigley, Camden, Safeco, and Shea.

I have no preference regarding the number of rounds to be used in the live draft but 18 seems OK to me. Because of the time difference (I live in Western Australia which is currently 14 hours ahead of EST in North America), I would not be able to participate in a live draft which used a two-hour clock, unless we had a way of nominating proxies.

Regards,
Steve
stevep107

Postby maligned » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:24 am

So, obviously we follow all the rules as they're laid out. The only exception is the number of rounds for the live draft. Let's just put it to a vote and try to find some middle ground. If you're playing in the finals, please say how many rounds you want for the draft. We obviously would draft a stadium as one of these rounds.

maligned votes 5 rounds
Cminton votes 18
Mcsoupy votes 9
Stevep votes 18

Others?
maligned

Postby Sknsfan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:47 pm

The lenght of the draft doesn't bother me one way or the other, but a live draft with two hour picks will be hard for me over the next few weeks. I leave on Vacation for the next 12 days tomorrow evening and while I won't be completely out of touch, but I won't be able to work through a live draft either.

Might I suggest that we plan on this draft taking some time? We could still go the whole Eighteen rounds but we could finish it over the course of a couple of weeks.

I know this time of year gets hectic for most people.

Just a suggestion.
Sknsfan

Next

Return to --- Player's Championship