YIKES (AGAIN)!!! SHIFTING SANDS -- Dose #2

Postby rosenthm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:26 pm

I'm happy with being stuck with Downing! I wouldn't have chosen him in a straight live draft, but he is certainly a usuable stick pick. I was thinking of using him as a back-up catcher also, since that's one oft he things I have to cover after the AD, but really can't do that because I need a "1" back-up catcher to make the 24 rule work.

I've got my stick pick ready to go...I'm a little confused (seems to be a contant state of late) about when the clock is up on Doc, since he did check in and make his piack. I'll make my stick pick as soon as I get the word from the commish...
rosenthm

Postby uncle ny » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:26 pm

[quote:b496d9684e="modmark47"]Speaking of DHing, I know I asked this many moons ago, but I forgot what the answer was. In order to be protected from a required drop, does a player have to DH EVERY game? Example - I have Ruth and Cobb. Must Ruth DH every game in order to be considered my DH, and therefore protected from the drop? Or, is it just whomever DHs the most? Say Ruth DHs for 17 games and Cobb 16 games. Is Ruth still protected as my DH from the dreaded required drop?[/quote:b496d9684e]

In your situation, Ruth must DH in order to be protected. Playing him in the OF in limited situations to get his arm in the field makes him an outfielder for purposes of my rule. If he fills in for Ty due to an injury for those games only, he's still a DH. A strict interpretation makes abuse of the rule extremely difficult, if not impossible.
uncle ny

Postby uncle ny » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:33 pm

[quote:fad658e6e4="rosenthm"]I'm happy with being stuck with Downing! I wouldn't have chosen him in a straight live draft, but he is certainly a usuable stick pick. I was thinking of using him as a back-up catcher also, since that's one oft he things I have to cover after the AD, but really can't do that because I need a "1" back-up catcher to make the 24 rule work.
[/quote:fad658e6e4]

Other than the backup for your .500 player, you don't have to have a same fielding backup for each player.
uncle ny

Postby spicki17 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:35 pm

doc's clock is up at 2, right? then we'll be moving again!
spicki17

Postby rosenthm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:02 pm

[quote:f6dc4134fc]Other than the backup for your .500 player, you don't have to have a same fielding backup for each player. [/quote:f6dc4134fc]

Great! then it looks like Downing will be my back-up catcher by default. Thanks, Uncle!

I've posted my stick pick. Now let's see if we can move on...
rosenthm

Postby Mr Baseball World » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:26 pm

I made my pick. Opted to give unc a lefty pitcher(figured if I gave him a righty he could then flip one of his righties to a lefty), trying to use up his 10 million. Harder than I figured it would be but more on that later.
Mr Baseball World

Postby MEAT » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:10 pm

rosie, downing can be your backup, but if you use him to start, your D must still add up to 21, unless there's an injury...me thinks. actually with gehrig a 1 at 1b you'd have that option defensively, but ofcourse you want to protect him as dh and not lose him to insidious uncle rule.
MEAT

Postby rosenthm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:28 pm

hesmeat, I was actually planning on using Gehrig at DH and playing McCovey at firstbase, so Dickey will probably be the target of the Uncle rule first time around. I haven't really been able to project what will happen after the first drop and repick fiasco.

A question I'm almost afraid to ask, but here goes. If you have a mil or so left after the stick picks, and they are on your team for the season, can you use that money in the frenzy or later down the line as you adjust after the first uncle drop?
rosenthm

Postby spicki17 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:38 pm

marge, you can use any leftover money whenever you want (after the autodraft runs). per uncles rule, dickey is not subject to drop, since he is a catcher. if you read the rule, i believe it says the rule does not include catchers.
spicki17

Postby rosenthm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks for the quick answer Spicki. Well it looks like McCovey becomes my Uncle pigeon for the first round. So except for injury, I can count on Schmidt, Dickey, Gehrig, Downing and a pitcher to be named later, as regular "no cut" guys on my team? Sounds pretty good, but then you have to balance with the soon to be notorious "All Four outfield" !
rosenthm

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat