Champs League is Full - Good Luck Fellas!

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

My 2 cents. ... (which is what it is worth)

Postby mcsoupy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:21 am

All,

There are some absolutely brilliant managers out there (and it includes all of the folks in the finals), and you all do a tremendous amount of analysis (Marcus, I love reading all of your stuff -- I really helps me improve my teams over time).

I did however, for the first time in strat, do a little "benchmarking" if you will. I'm a firm believer that "value" wins out in the end. ... so I checked all of the teams that made the playoffs and had a list of players by position.

I know that this was done by many people as well, but I found it interesting as to some big names that "never" or "almost never" showed up on winning teams. . . and then I found some players that always showed up.

So, I targeted for the draft 3 players that I wanted from each position, and here is why I wasn't sold on my team, I only got 1 of my very first picks, 2 of my 2nd choice and 2 of my third choice). ... I was then forced to make modifications to some positions (SS, 1B, RF, 3B). ...

I liked my staff, but didn't like my position players as much. . .

Anyway, I'm still not sold my team is the one to beat in the Central, but I'm thankful that the team seems to be playing well. It is a long season though and anything can happen, and as I mentioned before this got started, I'm just tickled to be in this with you all, and my ONLY goal is just not to come in last. ... anything better than that will be a victory in my mind.

With that in mind, here is to all of us being either 79-80 or 80-79 going into the last day of the season!!!
:lol:
mc
mcsoupy

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:57 am

Nice job, mcsoupy, you now hold the first position.

Is Sexson the steal of the draft?

I picked him, what, I guess round 10, after everyone snobbed him.

[code:1:e6b3da2fbb]
--------HOMERUNS------- -----RUNS BATTED IN---- ---------WALKS---------
R.Sexson FIN 16 R.Sexson FIN 42 R.Sexson FIN 31
M.Ramirez NUM 15 J.Olerud AOA 40 N.Johnson HOU 30
T.Clark EVI 14 D.Ortiz EVI 35 C.Jones EVI 27
K.Griffey Jr SNO 14 D.Lee SWP 35 D.Lee SWP 25
J.Olerud AOA 13 V.Wells TOU 35 T.Glaus PRO 25
D.Ortiz EVI 13 M.Ramirez NUM 35 B.Abreu AOA 24
J.Gomes BOM 12 J.Gomes BOM 34 B.Giles TOU 24
A.Ramirez SNO 12 G.Jenkins HOU 31 J.Giambi HOU 23
D.Lee SWP 11 S.Fasano PRO 29 OTHERS TIED WITH 21
T.Hafner TOU 11 T.Clark EVI 28
J.Gibbons NUM 11 OTHERS TIED WITH 27
OTHERS TIED WITH 10

[/code:1:e6b3da2fbb]

I think he has some things to prove to this league. He has had enough of the "Batting Average flaw" that runs around this league. :P

Looking at this list, Vernon Wells is perhaps the steal of the Free agent list.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby cummings2 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 pm

I thought getting Vernon was an excellent move by Qk. I was tempted like crazy to drop Duffy, make some room and get me Wells. Never quite made up my mind and then Qk beat me to it.

Oh well.

As far as steal if the draft... I still think it was The Big Hurt... he's just been a little banged up but by the end of it he'll have his numbers.
cummings2

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:21 am

The West is definitely the best division :roll:
MARCPELLETIER

Postby cummings2 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:19 pm

Looking through my Home-Away Splits... My pitchers definately seem to enjoy Fenway as their ERA is a full two 2 runs lower @ home. -Good thing I'll be playing there 81 games :wink:

On the other hand... methinks you guys are doing funky stuff to the basepaths when I visit your parks. @ home my SB succ rate is 84.6% while away is an infra-pedestrian 59% :evil:

On the [i:3298e60982]Ay chihuahua [/i:3298e60982]scale is Charlie's ERA away from Shea, his pitching waaaay to good to have a 8.11 ERA away. And second on the holy Katookies is KD's love affair with coors: 80 points higher BA and 137 points higher SLG @ home. I know it's coors and all but... BA on the road:

Vlad: .217
M. Young .239
Murton .155

As I said... Not quite an Ay Chihuahua but definately a Holy Katookies. Hope the rolls start bouncing your way KD, Cm2 and all.
cummings2

Postby kaviksdad » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

An FYI for all -

I will be having surgery Thursday, and my father will be in surgery the following Thursday, so I will be around less often than usual. So if I don't get back to anyone on potential deals and such thats the reason.

Of course, it probably won't matter here - my season is pretty well shot anyway.

KD
kaviksdad

Postby cummings2 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:04 pm

All best of thoughts and wishes to both of you. Hope all goes great KD.
cummings2

Postby maligned » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:47 am

So, it feels like it's still just a matter of time until Spicki's club starts hammering us all more consistently. His pythagorean is obviously still way above his win%. I noticed something interesting: He's not horrible in one-run games (4-5), but he's had no luck whatsoever in some high-scoring 2-run games (2-12 record in 2-run games).
Meanwhile, he never gets blown out, but frequently bludgeons others (12-2 in games decided by 5 runs or more).
maligned

Postby spicki17 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:20 pm

[quote:60b8b04853]So, it feels like it's still just a matter of time until Spicki's club starts hammering us all more consistently[/quote:60b8b04853]

either that or i have used up all my good roles and great run differential and gotten nothing out of it...
spicki17

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:20 am

Hikes! spicki loses 3 one-run game, letting me sneak back to first place.

Good luck with your next few moves, Kaviksdad. Hope you have good insurances (liberal grant coming from a Canadian ;)). One thing, though: you should bring Santana and Davis with you on the operation table.
MARCPELLETIER

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship