2007?

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

2007?

Postby the splinter » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Are there plans for a P.C Tour for 2007? If so shouldn't we be signing up now?
the splinter

Postby Coffeeholic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:39 am

My thoughts exactly Splinter!

Teepack has been doing a ton of work on this for years... can't blame him if he has tired of it.

I'd be happy to help out Tee, if you need some assistance?
Coffeeholic

2007 Championship Tournament

Postby mesquiton » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Guys, I hope Teepack is OK, or maybe he's just too busy or lost interest, but it looks like he hasn't even posted on the boards for 4 months! :(

In previous years by this time the Tour Board and Commish had been long established, and signups were well underway...in fact, I think last year's first Tour leagues were underway by this time.

Bernie's obviously too busy or disinterested (he never even got last year's final standings updated/correct on the "official" Tour page). We don't need TSN's involvement...never had it before last year...and frankly their "involvement" last year was mostly a joke anyway...hyped it to get more people to sign up and part with their money, then all but disappeared.

Sadly, looks like if we want a Players' Championship Tournament this year, somebody else needs to pick up the ball and run with it...at least get a signup thread going. I'd volunteer, but I really don't have the time (tho I might be able to help later with league links and standings as I've done in past years).

Unless Tee or Bernie (or somebody) steps forward soon, it will be too late. I think it's probably already too late for a 7-event Tour like last year.

A suggestion: Somebody volunteer to be Tournament Commish and start a signup thread right away. Make it a 6-event Tour, with the top 5 scores counting. Otherwise, same rules as last year, minus one event (I think the AL/NL only was least popular event last year). Let the new Commish determine the events, start dates, etc., and re-post last year's rules, which are still on the Tour webpage.

If there is still a Tour Board, or if Tee is still around, great, do something please. Otherwise, forget the board, let the new volunteer Commish play Tour God.

Bottom line: Somebody better do something soon, or it ain't gonna happen, and that would be a great loss to this game, IMHO. It's really the only reason I played at all last year.
mesquiton

An idea

Postby albert2b » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:59 pm

Last year was my first tour and I must say, it was quite an enjoyable experience. I would hate for it to be the last one simply because no one wants to organize it.

With that said, here's what I propose. Why don't we start the signup process now, since it may take a couple of weeks to complete that anyway. During this process, we look for volunteers to HELP organize this thing. I think that this is too big a tournament to expect any one person to run it by himself (although Teepack pretty much managed to do that last year), but if a handful of us (maybe 5-10) volunteers to share the responsibilties, I think we should be able to at least get this thing off the ground.

Now, I just want to make this clear: In no way am I volunteering to be the organizer of this tour. Please don't contact me with any questions because chances are I won't know the answers. To be honest, I don't even remember all the events of the tour....and I definitey don't know how the scoring works. If we do not get enough volunteers to help out, as much as I would feel awful about it, I would just assume that there is no tour this year. But like mesquition, I would like to at least TRY to get this thing moving.

Below is the signup sheet. Please state if you'd be willing to volunteer. If you are willing to volunteer, let's correspond with each other and we'll see how much responsibilty each of us can handle. I'll get it started:

1. albert2b (volunteer)
albert2b

Postby mesquiton » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:54 pm

1. albert2b (volunteer)
2. mesquiton (volunteer)

Albert: Good idea! As mentioned above, if needed I'll volunteer to keep league links and standings posted as best I can, time permitting. I'd also suggest that you might want to start a new thread for the signups, and also post a link or reference to it on the SOM Online board, as I think this might not get noticed buried here....

ps: Thanks for kicking my butt in the Runners Up semis, good luck in the finals! :D
mesquiton

Another thought....

Postby mesquiton » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:31 pm

Wouldn't want to discourage anybody else who might be interested, but I think it would be way cool if one or more of this year's Tour finalists, or the Champ (Cummings2 or Stevep107) would consider acting as 2007 Tour Commish.

I can't speak for him, but C2 seems to be especially active on the boards and a fair-minded, popular dude around here...maybe he'd consider it, if he's reading this...???

Really wouldn't have to be such a big job, with others helping...mainly just setting/posting the events and schedule, starting league signups and refereeing any rules disputes or questions that might arise during the season....
mesquiton

Postby cummings2 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:54 am

well... first of all thanks for the cool words mesquiton. Much appreciated.

To be perfectly honest, if the 07 tour were to start today I'd be out of it. I just don't have the time/ access for the Live drafts. Commish... I hadn't even considered anything along those lines, last time I Ref'd a basketball game for a bunch of 7 year old girls, I felt so bad for one of the girls who hadn't scored by the end of the game that I called a ghost foul so she could shoot some freebies, which she promptly missed... I had to claim the throws were not official because of some ca-ca-doo-doo excuse until she got one in. I broke 'em rules and I'd do it again -you sould;ve seen that face when she nailed her one and only point of the game. So, all you gotta do to get me to break the rules is tell me you're a little girl with low self-esteem and that's it... come to think of it... just to get you guys say that on these boards I might assist Tee and TSN :wink:

I think Tee has done an outstanding job -as I am sure we all agree and we've all voiced that opinion. If he wants to come back I think we're all better off with him. This is his play pen, the way I see it.

He is Bud Selig here... while I just [i:b31370915c]look[/i:b31370915c] like Bud Selig :shock: :wink:

Seriously though, something's going on because the Barnstormers tour also came to a dead silence. it was supposed to have started there already and I haven't seen nor heard anything.

I am hoping we'll hear from Tee soon and that the tour will be in good shape. Bernie has already mentioned something about the 07 tour being official again. Let's just wait until 06 is officially over, which should be after Monday.

C2

-Thanks again for the kind words mesquiton. Appreciated indeed.
cummings2

Postby mesquiton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks yerself, C2...sorry if I put you on the spot, didn't mean to "volunteer" you, but appreciate the gracious response!

I agree, Tee's been great and would be my first choice if he's still available and willing...but (with apologies to Bob Dylan), the hour, it is getting late.

Maybe Bernie still has something up his sleeve, I hope...but not holding my breath after last year's lack of post-hype attention to the Tour, and not even any hype yet at this late date in '07.

From the TSN perspective, I really don't get it, as it seems the Tours would be good marketing and money-makers for SOMO. Last year's TSN hype, even with the lack of follow-thru, more than doubled participation from the previous year.

I know the Tour's the only reason I paid for ANY teams last year. And (once I burn my last couple of credits) I doubt that I'll buy any teams this year if there's no Tour.

I agree with Albert that getting signups underway as soon as possible couldn't hurt regardless...tho I also agree we might as well wait until Monday and see if the new Champ can get Bernie's attention by claiming his treasure trove of TSN prizes!

Good luck!! :D
mesquiton

Return to --- Player's Championship