Let's get the Champions League Off the Ground-check in here

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

My "Post-Mortem"

Postby Coffeeholic » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:05 pm

Well, I figured that to have a realistic shot at this thing, against this level of competition, I would need a near "perfect" draft. Unfortunately for me, it didn't happen! :cry:

Luckyman beating me to Lilly in the 6th, forcing me to go with Glavine instead, I could've probably lived with (esp. considerring that ET dealt me Escobar). However, BigM's grabbing Gload in the 6th was probably my death knell. Great pre-emptive strike here Biggie! With no other viable alternatives at 1B, I was forced to deal Mahay to Cristano so that I could clear room for Overbay.

So, instead of Gload and Mahay, I've got Shields and Overbay. :oops:

In retrospect, I think I would've been better off with Goad, Belliard and Damon instead of Castillo, Finley and Overbay, and that I would've picked Jacobs instead of Tropicana.

Oh well... not much to do now except watch my team struggle to reach .500. :(
Coffeeholic

Postby james » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:36 pm

is anyone going to critique the draft?
james

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Coffeeholic,

I understand your point, and you have the logic just about right.

In my response, earlier, I raised the point that, when you get into details----of course if you wish to get into details!!!---then you have to consider the price of all back-ups.

In your example, you compare player A vs player B + player C. But in fact, chances are that player A also has a back-up. Let's call the back-up: player D.

You might say: "Well, no, player A is my everyday guy: he doesn't need back-ups." I respond "yes, but you still have to spend on four back-ups; how do you spend the money on them?".

In the case where you have nine full-time player, and four back-ups at the cost of 0.5M, then your comparison should be:

player A + 4/9 player D vs player B + player C.

To ease my life (it happens that I sometimes like to have life easy!!! :lol: ), what I do is that I forget all about player D, but I reduced the pricing tag of player C. So I end up with the following comparison:

player A vs player B + [player C at a reduced price].

Also, you have to check the injury rating of player A as well, especially if player A is not a 600+ AB.

Even when a player is a 600+ AB, if he has an awful back-up, than his value is reduced by about 0.2M. 0.2M might not seem a lot, but if you have nine 600AB+ players with four awful back-ups (compared to a roster with four respectable back-ups), you are wasting 1.8M of value. If my estimation that 1M is worth approximately 1.5 wins, you start the season with a 3 less potential wins. Just shows the importance of having respectable back-ups even with a full healthy line-up.

I probably suspect that all this very too complicated for nothing---and I agree. :wink:

Take home messages is: make sure you have quality back-ups everywhere!!! you better spend 0.6-0.7M than waste your 0.5M on a someone who will hurt you!!!
MARCPELLETIER

Post-mortem

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:18 pm

I already commented extensively on my team.

I just want to add that this draft was the best I've seen so far. This league really looks like it has the cream of the whipped!!!
MARCPELLETIER

Post-mortem

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:20 pm

What I like is that there are many teams with identities.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby ERICTAYLOR 2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:36 pm

My team's identity is to freeze the baseballs before the home games and have all the patrons in the outfield bring portable fans to the game to help keep balls in the park. Meanwhile, the groundskeepers will place pebbles in the infield just so they cause enough bad hops to get my guys a run or two.
ERICTAYLOR 2

Postby mesquiton » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:09 pm

If I had ET's pitching, plus maybe RJ and Bonds, I'd have a halfway decent Coors team.

Lacking the above, and playing in Shea, I'm counting on respect for the elderly for most of my wins. Of course, my strategy assumes I'm the only one here who bought the original Strat-O-Matic board game in 1963.
mesquiton

Postby james » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:28 pm

I played the board game extensively from '74 through '79 :wink:

As for the Intergallactic Funky Kickers, our draft was pretty mediaocre, Several players were snatched away one or two spots before my selections...hence the number of failed proxies...

I am excited about my division. To be in the division w/Riggio , Cristio and EtPhoneHome is an honor! My only disappointment, as you all know, was to not be in FunkyNUT's division so that I could trounce him once more! :lol:

My division will be an interesting one. I think we will all have .500+ home winning avgs and that the team w/ the best road record will win the division.

From my experience, having played against everyone inthis league, except cristano, is that Kaviksdad is a sleeper...glad he's not in my division and that he will not benfit from the easy wins vs FunkleTom.

Looking forward to the pre-season's trades. I see lots of room for improvement.
james

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:46 pm

[quote:cda35f518d]
My division will be an interesting one. I think we will all have .500+ home winning avgs and that the team w/ the best road record will win the division.
[/quote:cda35f518d]

Listen to this... :roll:
MARCPELLETIER

Postby mesquiton » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 pm

creampuffs
mesquiton

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship