*** TOP OF INNING 2 ***
0 J.Beniquez 4 Single (CF) b-1
0 1 C.Lansford 6 Double (CF) 1-3 b-2 fly(CF)x
0 23 L.Lacy 7 Line Out (3B) b-0
1 23 G.Pettis 2 Single (LF) 3-H 2-H b-1 bpHR 1-5
1 1 1 Stolen Base 1-2
1 2 B.Boone 6 Fly Out (LF) b-0 fly(LF)x
2 2 R.Clemens 1 Line Out (3B) b-0

A bpHR 1-5 that turns into a single. There's no such result on the cards of Pettis and Knepper. Was this a hit and run? Pettis has a "D" hit and run rating. (I don't have the SOM cards, so I can't check.) If it wasn't hit and urn, what was it? Could HAL have made a mistake?
ClowntimeIsOver

Postby Jimmy_C » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 am

Pettis is a "W" vs. lefty pitching. The ballpark homer gets converted to a single**. See below from the rules:

12.0 POWER RATINGS (N/W)

Advanced Strat-O-Matic limits the ability of low-power batters to hit homeruns off pitchers' cards.

You will find each batter's power rating(s) below his name, and above his hitting columns, on the Advanced side of his card. The possibilities are N for normal power and W for weak power. Some batters may be N against left-handed or right-handed pitching, and W against the other.

12.1 In Advanced play, all homerun readings on pitcher cards are preceded by the letter N. The hitter must have "N" power for this roll to result in a homerun. If the batter's power rating is "W" then any homerun chance becomes a SINGLE** (all other runners advance two bases).

Example: Say a left-handed batter with W power is batting against Lefty Gomez and rolls a 4-5. Instead of a possible homerun, the possibilities would become "SINGLE** 1-6, fly(rf)B 7-20."

12.11 If, as in this example, the result is split and the subsequent roll of the 20-sided die is in the range of the second results, always accept that reading, even if it is a double or triple.
Jimmy_C

Postby ClowntimeIsOver » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks VM for the explanation, JC --- I always noticed the "percent vs. lefties/righties" bar, but never noticed the following words ... news to me.
ClowntimeIsOver

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999