Let's get the Champions League Off the Ground-check in here

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby james » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:52 pm

it is great to be going for the repeat and overlooked in the standings!

go Jedi Knights!
james

Postby bigmahon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:07 am

Now you know why lucky picked me to win the Central. He knows I own him. :P :lol:
bigmahon

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:05 am

:evil: :evil: :evil:
MARCPELLETIER

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:41 pm

woods,

you surely have the anti-rating teams, with players such sa Pujols, Beltre, and Loretta. My ratings have your team last in the East.

I should probably change my pronostics, because I now have riggo`s team as top in the EAST, with etdefender virtually tied to cristano.

I don`t have time to do the central and the west for now, perhaps next week.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby james » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:44 pm

do i need high rating to win? :lol:
james

Postby RiggoDrill » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:18 pm

[quote:1cb736194f="Woods007"]do i need high rating to win? :lol:[/quote:1cb736194f]
No, you proved that on last year's tour! :x
RiggoDrill

Postby RiggoDrill » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:19 pm

[color=blue:e763f1b6c2][b:e763f1b6c2]WEST[/b:e763f1b6c2][/color:e763f1b6c2]

[b:e763f1b6c2]Corrivals (Uncle NY)[/b:e763f1b6c2]
24 players on roster means .50M of marginal cap has been flushed. I don’t like the Cuddyer/Harris platoon at 2B. I think I would have simply played Reyes vs. LHP and I would have put Sheffield at DH. However, it’s a solid lineup overall. I also like the pitching and RJ is worth his weight in gold – especially in a division that is loaded with big left-handed bats! I don’t think I would have put this team in the Smallpark.

[b:e763f1b6c2]miggies niggies (spicki)[/b:e763f1b6c2]
Whenever I use Edmonds, my fortunes rise and fall with his health. If he plays 156+ games I usually win over 100, if he misses 20+ games, bad things happen. Very strong lineup. The starting pitching is thin, but this hasn’t been a problem through 18 games as spicki is leading the league in ERA. A.Benitez on pace for way over 200 IP and loving it!

A roster spot wasted on a 14th player; could have used a better backup for 3B; Amezaga a bad choice since Tejada will play every inning; bad things may happen if Edmonds goes down and HAL decides to play Davanon or Werth in CF.

[b:e763f1b6c2]Dancers (mesquiton)[/b:e763f1b6c2]
C.Snyder in platoon w/ J.Molina? I would have preferred V.Wilson or even Javier Valentin. I’m not a fan of Burnitz (even in Shea), Boone not an ideal choice for Shea, and I’d rather play Abreu at DH. Overall the cap is used efficiently and there are a lot of good players.

[b:e763f1b6c2]Slumpers (UTBill)[/b:e763f1b6c2]
Podsednik is the only reserve OF and he’s only rated in CF. What’s his range if HAL plays him in LF or RF?

I would have liked more big-time lefty power in SAFECO. Another 3-man bullpen and, so far each is on pace for close to 200 IP. At this point they are handling the strain. A very left-handed lineup that will face a lot of hard lefty pitchers.
RiggoDrill

Postby RiggoDrill » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:20 pm

[color=blue:8ae497c90a][b:8ae497c90a]CENTRAL[/b:8ae497c90a][/color:8ae497c90a]

[b:8ae497c90a]Final Poutine (luckyman)[/b:8ae497c90a]
Luckyman managing a M*A*S*H unit – 5 players w/ serious injury issues. Circumstances have forced the French Canadian genius to carry one player over the limit. Although I’m still wondering why he drafted Foulke so high, luckyman will get great value from Greinke & Odalis Perez. Poutine has a HUGE advantage resulting from essentially having two first round picks (Santana & Rolen). Santana probably should have gone top 3 and will be especially valuable pitching in Kauffman.

Lugo & Cota make for an expensive bench and bad things will happen when HAL starts moving Hariston around the diamond, but luckyman will manage this team on a day-to-day basis and he will leverage a wide variety of lineup configuration options. Some value lost by carrying an expensive bench, but a lot of high-value types – overall the league’s strongest team.

[b:8ae497c90a]Doritos (coffee)[/b:8ae497c90a]
Not a fan of Ovebay, Koskie, or Renteria. Also J.Cabrera seems like an unnecessary indulgence. Nonetheless, a lot of high value players (Kendall, Castillo, Freel, Finley, Bonds) and salary cap is used efficiently.

I’m not a fan of the 7-man pitching staff. It will be interesting to see if it holds up in this league – it hasn’t worked so far.

[b:8ae497c90a]DK’s (biggie)[/b:8ae497c90a]
I can’t understand why this team has so many fans. I like Frank Thomas, J.D.Drew, and Torii Hunter, but otherwise just a lot of bodies. Lineup is vulnerable to hard righties and reverse lefties – Kav & Luckyman will take advantage of that.

[b:8ae497c90a]Snow Dogs (kav)[/b:8ae497c90a]
Kav holding a bunch of players I don’t like (Phelps/Morneau platoon, Mabry, Patterson, Sierra) and I haven’t had much luck with Clemens & Oswalt, so its hard for me to get excited about this team. Two extra players reduces effective salary cap to around 78.5M.

The team looks weak vs. RHP. Good News: lots of LHP in divisions; Bad News: most of those lefty pitchers have reverse platoons. The Lowry / Capuano combo is pretty nifty.
Last edited by RiggoDrill on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiggoDrill

Postby RiggoDrill » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:22 pm

[color=blue:121347afca][b:121347afca]EAST[/b:121347afca][/color:121347afca]

[b:121347afca]Hot Flesh Tacos (Riggo)[/b:121347afca]
My #1 pick of Eric Chavez was a mistake. If I had it over, I would have used the pick on Rolen. I used my #2 pick on Helton to be certain the [i:121347afca]Tacos [/i:121347afca]had a big LH bat in the middle of the order. Helton shows above average value in my system – he gets a lot of credit for the gold glove at 1B.

The formula for building the lineup is pretty straightforward – stay within the 13 player limit, minimize injury liability, and get high value players where possible. My only significant injury liability is at 2B & 3B where I’ve got two subs (Gomez & Hill). I like Jeter because he plays all 162 games and Wilkerson is handy because he’s a good defender at 4 positions. Brady Clark delivers high OBP vs. RHP. Several players (e.g., Youkilis & A.Castillo) show super-high value.

I tried to spend a lot of money on pitching – so far it isn’t paying off (I’ve allowed most runs in league through first 18 games). I’m a little perplexed by that one, hopefully the situation will take care of itself as the season progresses.

[b:121347afca]Double Nickels (ET)[/b:121347afca]
Is ET the most right-handed manager in online strat? Adding Burroughs at 3B eliminated a lot of the vulnerability to match-up pitching, but then again Burroughs isn’t a very good player. Castro & Gerut are expensive subs. J.Vazquez had great value in PETCO and this team definitely could have used more offense. Several guys who rate high on my list of values, but overall the team won’t score much and I wouldn’t have put it in PETCO.

[b:121347afca]catholic high school girls in trouble (ck)[/b:121347afca]
ck knows something I don’t because this team doesn’t make sense to me. Using 15 players means at least 1.00M of marginal salary has been flushed. I like the starting pitching – Schmidt good for COORS since he doesn’t have BP 1B on card and there are enough lefty batters in league to keep Ledezma & Hampton busy. The pen looks thin for COORS – only 4 RP’s and two of them are R1’s. Bigbie is an expensive bench players – why not just play him regularly and buy more pitching? …and Munson as backup Catcher? For anyone who hasn’t looked at Munson’s card lately, here’s the ratings for 20+ games he’ll be in lineup at catcher…

C5 (+3) e16
PB-20
T-20

I’ve never really figured out how to rate catcher’s defense, but that can’t be good. Luckyman seems to think those platoons will yield a lot of extra value – color me skeptical.

[b:121347afca]Jedi Knights (Woods)[/b:121347afca]
A right-handed team that creams righties. Of the super-sluggers, Beltre & Pujols tend to be a little overpriced. Carlos Lee would be more valuable if used as DH. Is Alex Sanchez used as platoon CF4? No stopper in the pen.
RiggoDrill

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:22 pm

My ratings for the East:

riggo: 90-72
etdefender: 85-77
cristano: 83-79
woods: 70-92

That being said, my ratings are famously known to undervalue right-handed power men such as Beltre and Pujols (and riggo`s too, apparantly), so woods could set-up an upset with some hidden secrets of his own.
MARCPELLETIER

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship